downloading existing TM databases
Thread poster: Leipziger1
Aug 11, 2010

hi,

earlier i took part in a webinar with SDL support where they suggested that it is possible to stream existing translation memories for languages, so that you would be able to work with a database in a language you do not often translate, in order to save the time and effort of developing your own database.

however a bit of google trawling later and i cannot find anywhere offering such downloads...

so the two questions in a nutshell...

1. is
... See more
hi,

earlier i took part in a webinar with SDL support where they suggested that it is possible to stream existing translation memories for languages, so that you would be able to work with a database in a language you do not often translate, in order to save the time and effort of developing your own database.

however a bit of google trawling later and i cannot find anywhere offering such downloads...

so the two questions in a nutshell...

1. is it actually possible to stream / download / buy existing TMs for various languages
2. if so, where?

many thanks!

ps while i would be interested to know the pros/cons (ie reduced contextual accuracy, presumably) of doing this, i am primarily interested in whether it is actually possible and how.
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 16:56
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Ready for one million translation units TM? Aug 12, 2010

Take a look to this resource....

http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html

I hope your PC is well tuned. Mine choked with the 500K translation units of the EN>ES memory I extracted.

Saludos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

downloading existing TM databases

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »