Thread poster: Rosa Alves

Rosa Alves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:59
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 11, 2010

Hello!

I am trying to clean up a big RTF-file with SDL Trados 2007 Freelance (Workbench 8.3.0.863) - purchased as part of Studio 2009 - but each time I try, I run into following error and Trados crashes:
runtime error!
C:\programms\SDL International\T2007_FL\TT\tw4win.exe
this application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way
Please contact the application's support team for more information

Do you know what the problem may be?
Thanks a lot!
Best regards,
Rosa

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:59
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use a macro in Word Aug 11, 2010

TBH I cannot tell you, why WB is crashing on that particular RTF file.
In your case I would use the tw4winclean.main macro in Word.
It will cleanup the file, but not updathe TM.
To update the TM remove all graphics and unnecessary formatting from RTF and use that one for updating.

If you wish to learn more about tw4winclean.main please use the search function on this forum, as this macro has been described quite often here.

Regards
Jerzy

Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:59
Romanian to English
+ ...
Rtf vs Doc Aug 11, 2010

Not sure if you are actually facing the same problem that occurred in my case, but I encountered an issue in cleaning up files which were "apparently" .doc files and turned out to be RTF. I am using the same Trados version you are.
These were OCR recognized scans, and most likely my client was using another MS Office version. The file extension was .doc, but when I tried to Save as..., the first choice was Rich Text Format (not the usual Word Document). When I did use their original file, I couldn't clean it up. My solution was to first save the RTF file as a Word document, and then translate it using WB (or run the memory on the doc file I created).
If nothing else helps, try to save your RTF as DOC, then translate it with WB (it should be fast, as you already have the memory), and try to clean it up.

HTH

Anna

Rosa Alves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:59
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Aug 11, 2010

Thanks Annamaria and Jerzy. Problem is solved and you helped me a lot with the formatting tip. I removed a big graphic (maybe a scan?) in the document and could then do the clean up!

Have a nice evening.
Best regards,
Rosa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems cleaning up a RTF-file

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search