Michael Kazakov
Michael Kazakov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:32
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 11, 2010

Hi all,

Is there a way to modify/specify the way automated translation (segments with AT tag) is handled in Studio? For example, the English source "3 mm" is shown in my Russian translation exactly as "3 mm" and marked with AT tag, which is obviously wrong.

Is there a way to specify how different untis (kg, m, mm, etc.) are handled in Studio?

What I thought would be obvious (Translation Memory and Automated Translation section) did not work. I searched th
... See more
Hi all,

Is there a way to modify/specify the way automated translation (segments with AT tag) is handled in Studio? For example, the English source "3 mm" is shown in my Russian translation exactly as "3 mm" and marked with AT tag, which is obviously wrong.

Is there a way to specify how different untis (kg, m, mm, etc.) are handled in Studio?

What I thought would be obvious (Translation Memory and Automated Translation section) did not work. I searched the help but could not find anything.

Thanks in advance,
Michael
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:32
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Auto substitution options Aug 11, 2010

What you are referring to is not what I would understand by the replacement of numbers and measurments.
Go to the corresponding language pair in Tools - Options (in your case English-Russian), click the plus sign besithe the "Translation Memory and Automated Translation" and scroll down to Auto-substitution. Change the settings there - but I must admit, that I do not know what it should be for Russian. In the Service Pack 2 the settings there are much better than before, but I am really pu
... See more
What you are referring to is not what I would understand by the replacement of numbers and measurments.
Go to the corresponding language pair in Tools - Options (in your case English-Russian), click the plus sign besithe the "Translation Memory and Automated Translation" and scroll down to Auto-substitution. Change the settings there - but I must admit, that I do not know what it should be for Russian. In the Service Pack 2 the settings there are much better than before, but I am really puzzled, if it would be possible to change "mm" to corresponding letters in Russian (for what I remember measruments in Russian would be given with Latin letters?).

Best regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Did you select an AT provider? Aug 11, 2010

Michael

Did you select an AT provider in the TM selection dialog for this project? Normally, the AT icon only shows up for segments containing URLs (which is misleading because this happens also when you did not select an AT provider) but not for measurements. Measurements are normally treated as placeables and you may insert them with QuickPlace (CTRL-comma).

BTW for my curiosity: what is wrong about 3 mm in English translating to 3 mm in Russian? Don't you also use t
... See more
Michael

Did you select an AT provider in the TM selection dialog for this project? Normally, the AT icon only shows up for segments containing URLs (which is misleading because this happens also when you did not select an AT provider) but not for measurements. Measurements are normally treated as placeables and you may insert them with QuickPlace (CTRL-comma).

BTW for my curiosity: what is wrong about 3 mm in English translating to 3 mm in Russian? Don't you also use the metric system?

Walter
Collapse

Michael Kazakov
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No Auto-substitution... Aug 11, 2010

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks for your reply

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Correct, that is exactly what I am looking for.

Go to the corresponding language pair in Tools - Options (in your case English-Russian), click the plus sign besithe the "Translation Memory and Automated Translation" and scroll down to Auto-substitution.

That is really weird, because I do not see Auto-substitution even though it is mentioned in help.

In the Service Pack 2 the settings there are much better than before, but I am really puzzled, if it would be possible to change "mm" to corresponding letters in Russian (for what I remember measruments in Russian would be given with Latin letters?).

Actually it should be changed, all measurements (kilograms, meters, etc.) are localized in Russian, so 3 mm should be "3 мм"

Michael Kazakov
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No AT provider Aug 11, 2010

Hi Walter,

Walter Blaser wrote:
Did you select an AT provider in the TM selection dialog for this project?

No, no AT provider is selected. My main source is file-based TM.

BTW for my curiosity: what is wrong about 3 mm in English translating to 3 mm in Russian? Don't you also use the metric system?

We do, but the names of the measurements units and their acronyms should be translated. So,
mm > мм
kg > кг
etc.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Update to SP2 please Aug 11, 2010

You obviously do still have Studio SP1 or even without any SP.
Please update your software to SP2. It handles measurments and number much better.
Nevertheless I am not sure, if for Russian it will change the letters to Cyrylic.

Michael Kazakov
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SP1 Aug 11, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

You obviously do still have Studio SP1 or even without any SP.

It is SP1, I installed Studio only after SP1 was released.

Please update your software to SP2. It handles measurments and number much better.
Nevertheless I am not sure, if for Russian it will change the letters to Cyrylic.

Thanks for the tip, I will do that. I hope it will change acronyms to Cyrillic, after all this is what auto-substitution is all about, isn't it?

Anyway, case is closed. I will install SP2 and see it will be better.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Install SP2 Aug 11, 2010

You must have SP1, because in SP2, the screen looks like this:

Walter

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you change once mm to мм or kg to кг... Aug 11, 2010

the software should then keep it and change the numerals only.
However again, I am not sure if the software will be able to change the letters on its own.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Settings for Automated Translation (AT tag) in Studio

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »