Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 08:20
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Aug 12, 2010

Dear All,

I am translating subtitles in Studio and there is a character limit of 40 characters (including spaces) per subtitle line. In Word it was easy to highlite a line and get a character count, but how about Studio?

1. Is there a way to instruct Studio of a character limit per segment (=line), so that a warning is given when said limit is exceeded?
2. Is there an on-the-fly manual/automatic method of counting the number of characters entered so far in a segment?

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 07:20
French to German
+ ...
You can use QA for this Aug 12, 2010

Hi Pavel

QA has a function that allows you to check that a segment does not exceed a certain length. Go to 'Project Settings - Verification - QA Checker 3.0 - Length Verification' and check the option 'Check if target segments are longer than character count' and enter the length that you should not exceed.

This check is carried out every time you confirm a segment. Depending on the warning level you choose (Information, Warning or Error), it will display an icon in the status column (the one where you see the segment status and the match rate), so that you can then correct the error.

Unfortunately, Studio does not show the column number in the status bar while typing such as Word does for example. This is however a enhancement request to SDL, which has already been submitted on SDL ideas website and I would encourage you to visit the site and vote for this idea (the more votes an idea has, the higher are the chances that it gets accepted). You'll find it at http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2497

Walter

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Walter! Aug 12, 2010

That was exactly what I needed!

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
A word of warning... Aug 20, 2010

Sadly, I have to report that although I had been very careful about correcting all instances of segments longer than 40 characters while working in Trados, after the export to Word was finished and I sent the file to the client, they told me that my subtitles were longer than 40 characters on several occasions.

How is that possible?

It seems that Trados counts the number of characters in each segment and properly reports if the said number is greater than the limit, BUT it then happily goes ahead and exports these segments, adding them together into sentences longer than 40 characters.

So, after following all the rules and cofiguring the software, it still didn't do what it was supposed to do.

Someone might argue that it was my responsibility to check the finished translation yet again after the export from Trados, but with this particular client and the volumes they expect, there is simply no time. I am proofreading in Trados, then exporting, then running spell check again in Word, but reading thoroughly for the second time and manually checking/correcting subtitles that may or may not be longer than 40 characters is simply out of the question.

[Edited at 2010-08-20 20:43 GMT]

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The length check is done on the segment Aug 21, 2010

Pavel

Studio checks the length for each segment and this works fine. If you find sentences consisting of several segments in your target file, then this means that your input file was not properly segmented.

For this scenario, you have to make sure that the source document is segmented in such a way that every subtitle corresponds to a segment. You can do this either by adjusting the segmentation rules or by pre-processing the source document or (often) both.

This is normal procedure and not specific to your subtitles.

Which format was your source document?

Walter

Thor Kristinsson
Local time: 06:20
English to Icelandic
+ ...
Trados and Segmenting Subtitle files Jan 31, 2011

Hello Walter,

I was wondering if you could offer some futher details about your comments:

"You can do this either by adjusting the segmentation rules or by pre-processing the source document or (often) both."

I've subtitled for over a decade using various programs like WinCaps etc. I've thought about using Trados to translate, then simulate/edit in the actual subtitling software; the main advantage being apparent when one is working on a DVD project that includes a feature and bonus material (with a lot of repetitions e.g. quotes from the feature) and a lot of placables and terms (names of characters, production job titles, special effects equipment/techniques etc).

I would be working on RTF or Word files in Trados Studio 2009, either files including a timecode and subtitle numbers, or just subtitle numbers. The main problem stopping me has been keeping the characters below the required mark e.g. 40 characters AND making sure each subtitle is ONE segment.

So my question is: Using Trados Studio 2009, how would you make sure one sub is one segment?

My heartfelt thanks in advance,

Thor

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Working with Subtitles Feb 1, 2011

Hi Thor,

There is a free filetype for subtitling software on the open exchange here;

http://tinyurl.com/subrip

But I'm not familiar with the files you are using, so if this doesn't help you perhaps you could share a file and we can see how best to handle this for you?

Regards

Paul

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Just an idea Feb 1, 2011

I do not know anything about translating subtitles, so sorry if this will not be relevant.

Characters have different width. Therefore, if you type 5 i characters (iiiii) that will be shorter than 5 m (mmmmm). Perhaps the client wanted to limit the length of a segment in a length of 40 „spaces”, but if in the given segment you used many characters that are wider than a „space”, you could exceed the „40-space length limit” even if the number of characters are less than 40.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In-Editor characters-per-line/segment calculation in Studio 2009

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search