Urgent: Java update causes Multiterm 2007 errors?
Thread poster: Susanne Lomander

Susanne Lomander  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:12
Swedish to English
+ ...
Aug 12, 2010

I just installed Java 6 update 21 and my Multiterm 2007 (Version 7.5.0.444 Build 448) stopped working properly!

First it refused to let me edit a term, with a Windows error box showing "Null" and the actual term window appeared blank (even though the program said I was in editing mode and did I want to save my changes when I tried to shut it down).

So I rolled back the update to Java 6 update 20, but it just got worse: now Multiterm won't even search for terms! I get an error box saying:

Error searching termbase XXX: Falure has occurred while loading a type..
Error searching termbase YYY: Falure has occurred while loading a type..
Error searching termbase ZZZ: Falure has occurred while loading a type..

I have tried to roll back the computer to earlier this morning and yesterday (in case some other Windows/MS updates also wreaked havoc), but the problem still remains.

What has happened and can this be fixed?

Thanks for all input - I REALLY need to have MT working again!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
JAva updates should be switched off Aug 12, 2010

And you really shouldn't install them, unless absolutely necessary for any processes.
Please uninstall the Java update, then go to Multierm installation folder (typically: C:\Program Files\SDL International\Multiterm...) and perform the "self register.bat" file you will find them. Unfortunately I do not have MT2007 installed anymore here, so I can't give exact names - you'll find two bat files there. Run the one without "not silent" in name. To run it double click on that file.
This should bring your MT to be running again.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Try to uncheck "Enable next generation plug-in" Aug 12, 2010

Before you go through the hassle of uninstalling Java, you might first try to uncheck the option "Enable next generation Java plug-in", which you can find in your Control Panel - Java - click on the tab 'Advanced" and then on 'Java plug-in'.

The problem is that this option gets checked again every time Java gets updated.

Should the option already be unchecked, try to check it and see if that solves your problem.

Walter

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
virtual machine Aug 12, 2010

I installed SDLT on a virtual machine on which I am not going to allow any software updates at all. I know, I know, it may sound a bit paranoic, but I have had my problems with .NET and Java udpates before...

Antonin

Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks.. but the Java control panel won't start! Aug 12, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

Before you go through the hassle of uninstalling Java, you might first try to uncheck the option "Enable next generation Java plug-in", which you can find in your Control Panel - Java - click on the tab 'Advanced" and then on 'Java plug-in'.

The problem is that this option gets checked again every time Java gets updated.

Should the option already be unchecked, try to check it and see if that solves your problem.

Walter

Thanks for all your suggestions!

That sounds like a good solution, but my Java Control Panel won't open anymore? I double-click and nothing happens after I rolled back the upgrade. What should I do?

Susanne

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Check that the window is not simply hidden behind another one Aug 12, 2010

Do you have Windows 7? In Windows 7, it often happens that a child window opens behind your other full-screen windows and you do not realize this because the new taskbar only flashes the corresponding icon for a short period of time. If you do not get an error message when double-clicking on the Java control, the this is likely to have happened. Browse through all your open Windows using ALT-TAB or minimize all apps (Show desktop).

Walter

Francesca Casoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Another way is Aug 12, 2010

to uninstall Java and MultiTerm from Control Panel, then reinstall MultiTerm and just the Java environment it needs (automatic).
I simply did that when it occurred to me because I did not know any other way.

Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fixed it - thank you! Aug 13, 2010

Thanks for all your suggestions - now it works!

What I ended up doing was:

1) Uninstalling the Java update and rolling back the system to before
2) Reinstalling ONLY the .NET update (out of a bunch of Windows/XP updates that got installed simultaneously... to sort out which one wreaked havoc with MT)
3) Uninstalling + reinstalling Multiterm

When I tried your solution, Jerczy, some of the items failed so I am not sure that helped. But in any case, I am up and running again and wanted to thank you all for your input!

Have a great weekend!
Susanne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent: Java update causes Multiterm 2007 errors?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search