Again...Error converting ttx file back to InDesign
Thread poster: queenspeed (X)

queenspeed (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:54
English to German
+ ...
Aug 12, 2010

Hi,

about half a year ago I had errors converting ttx files back to InDesign and learned from another member that I had to install the latest InDesign filters, and it worked.
Now I get a very similar error message: "Unexpected error during backward conversion Start of Input ()"
The file is not very large, it's 3300 words and all the translators have the filter installed...
Can anybody help please?

Thanks,
Sanda

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:54
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you sure ALL have exactly the same filter and version of Trados? Aug 12, 2010

It is enough, that someone down the delivery chain has a different version and this error will occur.
In most cases using the ContextTM process on your computer, basing on a file you created with your INX filter and translating with the delivered file, will be sufficient. Maybe you will need to insert some few segments manualy after the batch process due to some tagging differences, but put together this should not take very long.
The cause for your problem is IMHO really a version difference somwhere.

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same filters Aug 12, 2010

Hi Jerzy,

yes, all have the exact same filter... and I've worked with these translators with ttx files just last week....
I'm clueless.

Thanks,
Sanda

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Let the translator try to save target Aug 12, 2010

Because for what I know about the process there is a change of filter or Trados version in between. Really, just a slighest change may breach the whole process.
Let the translator who translated the file save the target file.
Otherwise run the ContextTM batch.

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translator doesn't have InDesign Aug 12, 2010

How do I run Context TM? I don't know how that works.

Thanks

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
CAT hopping as the ultimate solution... Aug 12, 2010

queenspeed wrote:

yes, all have the exact same filter... and I've worked with these translators with ttx files just last week....
I'm clueless.

Sometimes (it's not frequent) TagEditor itself messes up the file.
Try to presegment the original file against an empty TM.
If the resulting file can't be exported, consider it can't be exported at all.
If it exports, you may try to retranslate the presegmented file with TE (every x segments make a backup copy and try to export).
If it works, you have chance.
If it doesn't work, probably the only sound solution is to use an alternative editor.
I prefer memoQ here but any TTX aware CAT tool should do.

Cheers
GG

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You do not need InDesign for saving the file Aug 12, 2010

He needs the original file and the translated TTX.
The ContextTM process is only available in the Professional version.
In a nutshell:
In a new directory prepare a new fresh TTX file from the INX file. Kepp the names as they were before. Place the translated file in a parallel directory (if you work like this, you can run this process for multiple files too).
You start it by selecting the ContextTM Wizzard on your harddisk in Trados installation directory.
Specify a TM with proper language pair (it may even be empty, doesn't matter)
Select the file(s) to be translated, assign the already translated file(s). When names match, you can simply point to the directory where the translated file is stored.
Run the process, open the translated file then in Tageditor and edit all untranslated segments (there will be still a few) from a TM, which you obtain from cleanupof the "old" translated file.
If you wish, I can gladly provide you with online training for that.

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only freelance version Aug 12, 2010

I don't have the professional version of Trados, only freelance.... so worst case scenario I will have the translators do everything in Word and insert the text manually.... if there is no other solution...

Thanks

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Send me the files Aug 12, 2010

info at czopik dot com

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Reasons for the trouble Aug 12, 2010

The Trados version is 7.5.0.756, the tool which created the INX is InDesign CS4 - and the only Trados version capable of working with CS4 INX files is Trados 2009 Studio.
Even Trados 2007 Suite will not fit - you need to have a INX file from CS2 or upgrade your Trados application.

PS
Although the source seems to be CS4 the ContextTM process did work, proving again how reliable this technology is.

[Edited at 2010-08-12 21:06 GMT]

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 12, 2010

Thanks Jerzy! We only have CS3 and the client sent me the INX file. I will ask them to downgrade to CS3 INX. However, on second thought, I have another client who is also sending me INX files from a CS4 and it works fine....
I will ask the client and see how to fix it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Again...Error converting ttx file back to InDesign

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search