Thread poster: Arvind Raman

Arvind Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 12, 2010

Hi All,

I started a new project using Trados workbench 2007 on a word file. Funny enough the first translation segment opened but when I am moving to the next translation segment it doesn't open. What can be the problem here? Can only one help?

Thanks

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:36
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
"You" are moving? Aug 13, 2010

How exactly are you moving from one segment to the next?

Arvind Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
usual way Aug 13, 2010

I opened the very first line of doc for translation. translated it and used set/close to close the segment. But when I try to open the second line for translation it doesnt open and there is no error message which pops up, otherwise atleast one can make out ok there is a problem, but here there is nothing.

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:36
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Fix document or... Aug 13, 2010

If you were able to set/close the segment, I suggest Fix Document , or close the document and the TM, and reopen.

Arvind Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
doesnt work Aug 13, 2010

Hi Luisa,

Tried that as well. both fix document and also reopening TM and file. Still the same.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:36
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Set/close and next open / get Aug 13, 2010

Did you use the button, keyboard shortcut or menu command for Trados on Word for Set/Close and Next Open/get?

If yes, and nothing happen. Check for Word keyboard command/macro conflicts.
Reinstall Trados.dot to Word in Word Add-in. And test linking with WorkBench.
If still fail to translate, check WorkBench functions e.g. reorganize, maintenance, concordance search.

If you still fail, reinstall Trados.
Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:36
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Check if there are any bookmarks left Aug 13, 2010

Please also make sure the next segment is not a field!

Go to Insert - Bookmark and check, if when alls segments are closed there are no Trados bookmarks there. If you find anything with "tw" in name, delete it.
This should help for now.
If this happens again, then your document is damaged.
You can try to copy the whole content to a new file and work there. You can also save the file as rtf, close Word, reopen the file and save again as doc. Another option is opening the file in OpenOffice and saving as doc.

But the best option is simply to open the file in TagEditor and not to care about any additional problems. Shuuld you go for this way, open the file in TagEditor, translate one or two sentences there and go to "File - Save target as..." menu. Try if saving as target works. If it does, the world is fine, otherwise come back here and post the error message you get.

Arvind Raman
Singapore
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 18, 2010

Thanks all for your help..

I managed to do it. I changed the word file to tag editor and it was much easier for me to do it there. Thanks for your inputs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The next translation segment doesn't open

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search