Ungrouping Translation Units in Tag Editor
Thread poster: twelliman

twelliman
Local time: 12:41
English to German
Aug 13, 2010

I am working on ttx files for a manual project. Now Tag Editor (8.0) opens translation units each time with several sentences in it, ending with a sentence where there is no tag behind the period.

How can I make Tag Editor open a translation unit for each sentence/string regardless whether there is a tag behind the period or not?

thanks for any help!

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 06:41
French to German
+ ...
You need to resegment the document Aug 13, 2010

This is the way the document has been segmented when the TTX was created. If you only have the TTX, you cannot change it, you can only use the Split and Merge segments function while working in the Tag Editor.

If you have access to the source document, you can take adapt its contents so that segmenting works fine or even - if required - configure the segmentation rules.

Walter

twelliman
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the answer Aug 13, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

This is the way the document has been segmented when the TTX was created. If you only have the TTX, you cannot change it, you can only use the Split and Merge segments function while working in the Tag Editor.

If you have access to the source document, you can take adapt its contents so that segmenting works fine or even - if required - configure the segmentation rules.

Walter

Thank you very much, Walter! I'll have to ask the client to segment the source file for me then.

There is a Split and Merge segments function in Tag Editor? I know there is one in SDLEdit, but cannot find it in Tag Editor.

best

Johannes

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
It's called "Shrink " + "Expand" segment Aug 13, 2010

You'll find it in the menu 'Workbench" or ALT-CTRL-PgUp/PgDown.

Walter

twelliman
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Shrink Segment Aug 13, 2010

Oh that's the function! Good to know. But still very inconvenient. I have to shrink at least ten times for each TU until I get to a single sentence. Way too time-consuming. But practical for smaller jobs.

cheer!

Johannes

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Shrink/Expand should only be necessary if segmenting is not adequate Aug 13, 2010

Yes, in your case it is inconvenient, but remember that this should normally not be necessary if the segmentation was done adequately.

Walter

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can help yourself... Aug 13, 2010

Go to Tools - Options in TagEditor. Chose the Protect tab, switch document protection off.
Now press CTRL+H to get the Search&Replace dialog. Search for a dot and replace it by a dot followed with a space. This way the tags get separated from the dots and the segmentation should work as it is supposed to.
However, if the tag behind the dot is always the same, I would open the file in Notepad, locate such tag, copy it to cllipboar and using Search&Replace replace all occurencies of this tag with itself but preceeded by a space.

twelliman
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try that Aug 13, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Go to Tools - Options in TagEditor. Chose the Protect tab, switch document protection off.
Now press CTRL+H to get the Search&Replace dialog. Search for a dot and replace it by a dot followed with a space. This way the tags get separated from the dots and the segmentation should work as it is supposed to.
However, if the tag behind the dot is always the same, I would open the file in Notepad, locate such tag, copy it to cllipboar and using Search&Replace replace all occurencies of this tag with itself but preceeded by a space.

Thanks a lot, sounds like a plan. I might do this in combination with the segment shrinking, but I'll wait for my client to find a solution first, cause I don't want to have to do this every time an updated version of the manual arrives.

best regards

Johannes

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ungrouping Translation Units in Tag Editor

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search