Thread poster: Sandra Guggisberg

Sandra Guggisberg  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 10:54
English to German
+ ...
Aug 17, 2010

Hi everyone

I am an intern in a small translation office and got the task to export a whole bunch of term bases out of Transit XV and import them into MultiTerm 2009. I used the "MARTIF"-Format, since they claim that it is readable by other database programmes. However, MultiTerm doesn't accept it.

Is there any way of exporting out of TermStar as an .xml or .txt file? Thanks in advance for any hints

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
I published my own macro (Martif to XLS) Aug 17, 2010

http://www.proz.com/forum/transit_support/175988-export_mdb_file_from_termstar_nxt.html

Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dekuji :-) Aug 18, 2010

Hi Antonin,

Thank you very for the quick reply and for sharing your macro! I ran it in MS Excel 2007 VBA, however, the file it returns is empty (size: 0 KB). Is there something I might have missed?

Cheers,
Sandra

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
two possibilities of problems: Transit to mtf, or mtf to xls Aug 18, 2010

I have just verified that it works in MS Excel 2007 - well, at least for me it does. The only thing to cope with is the Unicode formatting of the output; you will have to resolve that issue somehow (via csv or so).

1. Is you export to Martif correct? You have to check at least the "Value list" when exporting. When you open the exported mtf file in Notepad or something like that, do you see (amid all that xml garbage) any items you would like to have in your xls?

2. My way of using it is to copy and paste the macro text into a VBA module in the Personal.xls hidden book, then running it "normally". I am not sure what you mean by "I ran it in MS Excel 2007 VBA" but I suppose ypou did something similar to my description...

Antonin

Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working :-( Aug 18, 2010

Hi Antonin,

Thanks again for a quick reply. I reexported the files and checked "Value List" - totally forgot the first time. Unfortunately, I still only get an empty file when I use the macro.

I am not sure if I know what you mean by Personal.xls hidden book - I just used a new file/spreadsheet and went to "Developer"/"Visual Basic" from there. Is this okay or should I be saving the new spreadsheet first?

Sandra

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
send me a small sample martif file of yours Aug 18, 2010

to "info at otahal dot cz"

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: Importing TermStar XV term bases into MultiTerm

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search