Thread poster: absciarretta

absciarretta  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:20
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Aug 17, 2010

I am having problems with both Multiterm and term recognition.
When opening ANY of my termbases in Multiterm 2009 I get the error: Input string was not in a correct format, and I cannot view any of the terms in the termbase.

Also, none of the terms show up in term recognition, though if I open the termbase in SDL Studio (oddly, this results in no error messages), I find the terms that are in the highlighted segment that are not showing up in the term recognition window.

I have reinstalled Multiterm, repaired SDL 2009, deleted .mdf and .mtf files to no avail.
I am running Vista 32-bit.

Any suggestions? Is this part of the Norwegian issue that SDL 2009 has, with NO-NO being the old version and NO-NB being the new version of the name of the language?

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 00:20
French to German
+ ...
Do you have only MT2009 installed? Aug 18, 2010

When opening ANY of my termbases in Multiterm 2009 I get the error: Input string was not in a correct format, and I cannot view any of the terms in the termbase.

Just to make sure I understand what is going on: do you get this message when you open the termbase in the Multiterm 2009 client or in Studio when you do term recognition?

I have reinstalled Multiterm, repaired SDL 2009, deleted .mdf and .mtf files to no avail

Multiterm 2009 does not use any .MDF and .MTF files anymore. The first time you open a pre-2009 termbase in MT2009 it gets automatically converted to the .SDLTB format (only one physical file). So, I wonder why you would want to delete these files.

Walter

Portugal
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiterm Aug 18, 2010

I only have MT 2009 installed. When I open an mdb-termbase in Studio, the mtf and mdf files are created automatically, but I don't see any sdltb-files anywhere. Maybe that is the problem?

I only get the error message if I open the termbase in MT2009, if I open it in Studio I can view the terms, no problem, but they just won't show up in Term recognition. (Yes, the right termbases are enabled).

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Use the MT 2009 files Aug 18, 2010

When I open an mdb-termbase in Studio, the mtf and mdf files are created automatically, but I don't see any sdltb-files anywhere. Maybe that is the problem?¨

You said that you have installed Multiterm 2009 and that you opened your 2007 termbases in MT2009, which means they were converted to the 2009 format (.SDLTB).

So, what you should open in Studio is your (already converted) 2009 termbase, the same as the one you open in Multiterm 2009 and not an .MDB, .MTF or .MDF file.

Simply forget about the .MDB, .MTF and .MDF files.

Walter

Portugal
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wish I could Aug 18, 2010

There are no sdltb-files anywhere, unfortunately. All that is being created when I open my mdb-termbases in Studio 2009 are mtf and mdf files.

EDIT: Ok, I exported my mdb-database in Multiterm to xml-format. Created a new termbase in sdltb-format and imported my old termbase to it. I added the new sdltb-termbase to my project and enabled it. Still does not work. I can view the termbase in Studio, find the term I am looking for, but the term does not show up in Term Recognition when the segment containing the same term is highlighted. And when I open the same termbase in Multiterm, I cannot activate the Terms-view and I get the error on opening: Input string was not in a correct format.

[Edited at 2010-08-18 16:00 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Pure conversion from MT2007 to MT2009 does not change mdb to sdltb Aug 18, 2010

Unfortunately you not seem to be able to open the termbase in your MT.
But you could send me some of those, I would open 'em and create a xdt and xml files for you. Then you should be able to create a new termbase (this will be a sdltb) out of xdt and import the xml there.
In the meantime I've spoken to Paul Filkin from SDL. Your problem is in fact not easy to address.
The next update for Studio and Multiterm should be available in not so far future, so I dearly hope that it will help you.

Portugal
Member (2008)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jerzy Aug 18, 2010

Like I said, I was able to export the termbase to xml and import it into an sdltb but I get the same error. And this is not just one termbase, it is every single one I have tried. I even uninstalled all my SDL-software today and reinstalled it (and updated it) but I get the same errors.

EDIT: HA! After updating yet again, I suddenly got Term recognition to work for both the mdb and the sdltb termbases! I still get the same problems with Multiterm, though.

[Edited at 2010-08-18 18:29 GMT]

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
still doesn't work Sep 20, 2010

Absciaretta directed me here from this thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/180838-multiterm_2009_yields_no_matches.html

As my problem seems to be related, I'll continue here.

I'm not sure as to what exactly the conversion feature of MultiTerm 2009 does. I can open and convert my old termbases, but I'm, never asked for the format to save them in.

I have exported to xml, created a new termbase, and imported the xml again. So now I have a sdltb for the first time. Still, no terms are recognised, although I can find the terms using the term search function in studio.

(Side remark: Wow, I should have checked the 30 day trial first. I'm proficient in Trados 2007, but Studio seems to be the most unintuitive software I've ever used. Even the simplest features seem to be buried deep. I regret having updated already. It's not that I haven't been warned - I should have listened...)

Jerzy, the update you're talking about, would that be SP3? Or should this issue have been adressed in the meantime?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL 2009 Multiterm: Input string was not in a correct format

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search