Pre-translating ttx files error Trados 2006 demo
Thread poster: Satu Wiren

Satu Wiren  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:14
English to Finnish
+ ...
Aug 18, 2010

I am playing around with the demo version of Trados 2006.

I have a ttx file a client has sent me for testing.
I am trying to pre-ranslate it in WB to produce a file with source and target, but I keep getting an error message. : Failed to create component Trados Excel TagFormatter2 (or somthing like that, cannot copy it from the window.)
(Tools/translate)
It looks like everything is fine, but the it reports 0 translated segments.

Same goes with an another ttx file which is originally a ppt file.

What goes?

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 01:14
French to German
+ ...
Demo version of 2006? Aug 18, 2010

May I ask why you play around with a demo version of a software that is many years old ad not supported anymore?
The fact that you use a demo version indicates that you are not normally using this software fro your work. So, if it is for a special purpose, why don't you take a demo version of a software that is current such as Trados 2007 Suite.

I have a ttx file a client has sent me for testing.

What kind of tests do you intend to do?

Walter

English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pre-translating ttx files error Trados 2006 demo Aug 18, 2010

I am using demo, because I want to find out whether it is worth buying this software or not. Perfectly normal way of doing things.
This is the version I found. If there is a working demo of a more current version available, kindly point me to the right direction.

I already use a couple of other TM software so I'm trying to find the best cost effective and translator/client friendly solution to this mess.

The file is for testing workflow with the client, nothing more.

So, I have explained myself, hopefully to your satisfaction.

Now, anyone have any idea, why I cannot do this pre-translation?

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Evaluating is no problem, but ... Aug 18, 2010

... it would be wise to use a newer version.

Now, anyone have any idea, why I cannot do this pre-translation?

The reason is most probably that the TTX file has been created with a more recent version of Tag Editor than 2006 and TTX files are not fully compatible across versions of Tag Editor.

I am using demo, because I want to find out whether it is worth buying this software or not

For that purpose, I would strongly suggest that you test the new Studio 2009.

If you need to plug into a workflow that a client of yours uses, which is based on TTX and your client does not have any intention to move away from TTX (which is a Trados proprietary format that has been replaced by the standard XLIFF in Studio), I suggest you ask your client which version of Tag Editor he uses. Then use the same to avoid compatibility problems.

Walter

English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados/TagEditor versions Aug 18, 2010

Looking at the file in notepad, it is created with version 8.3, I have no idea which version of Trados this is and where to find a working demo of that version. Anyone?

It is quite clear that one cannot buy expensive software like this, before making sure it works ok and is suitable for one's needs in other ways too. As I mentioned, I already have a couple of other TM software which I have been using for years, but it just looks like more clients are using Trados now and sending out these funny ttx files instead of originals, which can be translated with any TM software.

Too bad the compability between versions does not work, shame on Trados on that. Considering that in translation business files are most often created and editet by more than one preson or company, this is a serious drawback.

Essentially a ttx file is just a text file, how difficult is it to make different versions understand each other?

What if I end up with newer version than the client(s), does everything work at their end then?

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Version 8.3 is the latest build of 2007 Aug 18, 2010

If the TTX you are trying to open does not work properly in Trados 2006, there is a quite obvious reason. Starting I think with version 6.5, the encoding was changed to Unicode.

more clients are using Trados now and sending out these funny ttx files instead of originals, which can be translated with any TM software.

This is a choice of the client, they can as well send you the original source.

Too bad the compability between versions does not work, shame on Trados on that.

It does, but the TTX format has not been intended to be an exchangeable format across versions and over years. It is a bilingual intermediate format between source and target and its lifespan should normally be limited to the translation project lifecycle.

You can download a trial version of SDL Trados Studio 2009 here:
http://www.translationzone.com/en/landing/sdl-trados-studio-trial/default.asp

As for SDL Trados 2007, I do not know whether there still is a download link. I guess, the easiest alternative is that your client gives you a copy, so that you can test it in demo mode.

Walter

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:14
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
TTX file is prone to error Aug 19, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:
If the TTX you are trying to open does not work properly in Trados 2006, there is a quite obvious reason. Starting I think with version 6.5, the encoding was changed to Unicode.
It does, but the TTX format has not been intended to be an exchangeable format across versions and over years. It is a bilingual intermediate format between source and target and its lifespan should normally be limited to the translation project lifecycle.

Not only version mismatch error, TTX files have many errors due to delicate handling of tags. In Proz forum, we discuss frequently on various error message of TTX or TagEditor files. This can also be an evaluation point.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A few remarks Aug 19, 2010

Satu Wiren wrote:

Looking at the file in notepad, it is created with version 8.3, I have no idea which version of Trados this is and where to find a working demo of that version. Anyone?

The latest build is 865.

It is quite clear that one cannot buy expensive software like this, before making sure it works ok and is suitable for one's needs in other ways too. As I mentioned, I already have a couple of other TM software which I have been using for years, but it just looks like more clients are using Trados now and sending out these funny ttx files instead of originals, which can be translated with any TM software.

As Walter pointed out, this is your client's choice. You have three options:
1. Accept
2. Decline
3. Use a different, TTX-compatible tool

Too bad the compability between versions does not work, shame on Trados on that. Considering that in translation business files are most often created and editet by more than one preson or company, this is a serious drawback.

It does work, but there are sometimes issues related to different file filter versions in some formats, especially InDesign. It is basically recommended, that all participants in the supply chain use the same program build and the same file filter versions. As simple as that.

Essentially a ttx file is just a text file, how difficult is it to make different versions understand each other?

More precisely, it's an XML. As regards your question, see my previous point.

[Upraveno: 2010-08-19 18:39 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pre-translating ttx files error Trados 2006 demo

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search