Thread poster: xxxOTMed

xxxOTMed
Poland
Local time: 07:27
English to Polish
+ ...
Aug 19, 2010

Hi all,

I have run across probably 50 problems in the Studio so far, and to me it should be considered a pre-beta, experimental software. The current pre-beta called SP2 keeps loosing settings, freezing, hanging 'wizards', has messy focus changes between all the windows (separate for terminology view/lookup and adding terminology, it doesn’t get much dumber than this), lots of clicking required despite a number of customizable keyboard shortcuts, to name a few. I will be happy to show you a screenshot of this CPU and memory hog which managed to use 80% of my system resources (quad core 3.2 Mhz Pentium, 8 GB RAM). That’s more than a strong ciphering algorithms, but still not enough to produce target files from a translation after some 25 minutes of 'processing'.
I'm hoping to publish a more detailed description shortly, if time permits, for those who consider paying 600-1000 USD for their Studio.

But without getting further into the utterly frustrating details, here is the problem which has delayed my recent job by 3 days:

Description of situation:
1. Source files are MIFs.
2. During conversion to translatable format, there was an error msg according to which 4 files could not be found, and each file was listed in duplicate in the error msg. Since there was a large number of other glitches, error messages and problems, I just ignored this and opened the files one by one.
3. Translated and completed the files.
4. Checked for, and corrected all tagging errors.
5. Failed to export after at least 20 attempts with different configs.

Im seing all kinds of error messages, the most common being
File not found (and of course all files are there).
The second on the list is a freeze of the generate target 'wizard' at different stages of the process.

The client has been briefed, and Im giving up on further hours on the fora studying Trados studio error messages and workarounds, and future jobs using this particular software, until the current pre-beta is fixed.

It seems that lots of translators had problems with the MIFs? Anyone managed to produce MIFs in Studio? Any input will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help,
G. Palka

[Zmieniono 2010-08-19 18:25 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
MIFs are obviosly 8 or 9? Aug 19, 2010

Otherwise Studio would not even touch them...

So far I have managed to go through two or three MIF projects in Studio.
Do you use a batch task to produce the files?
This is something what not really always works.
What happens if you try to save individual target files?
Do you get any error messages?

BTW, did you also try to translate book-files or TOC-files? Book can't be translated at all and TOC tend to produce some errors.

xxxOTMed
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jerzy, many thanks for your kind reply Aug 19, 2010

I wish the info you have just provided was in the User Lic Agreement... Would think twice before spending 700+ USD.
Framemaker 9 MIFs, no TOc, no book. Whats strange, there is no freeze this time, and still 'processing' @ 80% CPU load and 1 GB RAM. Should I give it another 4 hours? How about some cloud computing? Could find extraterrestrial life yet, but maybe we manage to produce some mifs in the Studio and get concordance in a decent time?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would indeed give it a try Aug 19, 2010

If the program is not dead, it may deliver some results.
Now for the case it will not succeed another time.
Please try to save each MIF individually as target. Open for translation/review, use File - Save target as. This may give you a hint, which of the files are problematic.
In the next step, if there are any error messages, we could try to focus on them.
If there are no errors, we will need to recreate the translation for those MIFs with fresh untranslated copies of them. I have once indeed run in trouble, where one MIF could not be saved back - no error messages, nothing at all AFAIR. One segment in original MIF was defect. The only way was omiting any actions on this segment or just copy source to target - I do not remember exactly.
Anyway - if you have the time/possibility, let the process run. If not, kill it and try with individual files.
And post here please, I am gladly ready to try to help

xxxOTMed
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Managed to save all but 4 Aug 19, 2010

After the automated or manual procedure 4 files are identified as 'non existent' (Source file not found). Here is the xml export of this error msg (tags changed to avoid BB conflicts). Thanks again for your help.

[SDLErrorDetails time="2010-08-19 14:26:18"]
[ErrorMessage]Source File Not Found :"Chapter Navigation and planning.mif"
[/ErrorMessage]
[Exception]
[Type]Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Native.FrameMaker.FrameMakerException.CFrameMakerException, Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Native.FrameMaker, Version=9.6.0.0, Culture=neutral]
[HelpLink /]
[Source]Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Native.FrameMaker[/Source]
[StackTrace][![CDATA[ w Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Native.FrameMaker.FrameMakerPlugInFilter.FileWriter.CWriterImpl.StartOfInput()
w Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Native.FrameMaker.FrameMakerPlugInFilter.FileWriter.CFrameMakerWriter.StartOfInput()
w Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.NativeWriterMessagesProxy.StartOfInput()
w Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.FileGenerator.CallStartOfInput()
w Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.FileGenerator.SetFileProperties(IFileProperties fileInfo)
w Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.AbstractBilingualProcessorContainer.SetFileProperties(IFileProperties fileInfo)
w Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.MultiFileConverter.SetFileProperties(IFileProperties fileInfo)
w Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.BilingualApi.AbstractBilingualContentProcessor.SetFileProperties(IFileProperties fileInfo)
w Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.AbstractBilingualProcessorContainer.SetFileProperties(IFileProperties fileInfo)
w Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.SdlXliff.XliffFileReader.ContinueParsing()
w Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Bilingual.SdlXliff.XliffFileReader.ParseNext()
w Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.FileExtractor.ParseNext()
w Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.MultiFileConverter.ParseNext()
w Sdl.FileTypeSupport.Framework.Integration.MultiFileConverter.Parse()
w Sdl.ProjectApi.AutomaticTasks.GenerateTargetTranslation.NativeFileGenerator.GenerateFiles()
w Sdl.ProjectApi.AutomaticTasks.GenerateTargetTranslation.GenerateTargetTranslationTask.ProcessFile(IExecutingTaskFile executingTaskFile)
w Sdl.ProjectApi.AutomaticTasks.AbstractFileLevelAutomaticTaskImplementation.Execute()]]][/StackTrace]
[/Exception]
[Environment]
[ProductName]SDL Trados Studio[/ProductName]
[ProductVersion]9.1.0.0[/ProductVersion]
[EntryAssemblyFileVersion]9.1.1264.0[/EntryAssemblyFileVersion]
[OperatingSystem]Microsoft Windows 7 Professional [/OperatingSystem]
[OperatingSystemLanguage]1045[/OperatingSystemLanguage]
[DotNetFrameWork]2.0.50727.4952[/DotNetFrameWork]
[ConnectedToNetwork]True[/ConnectedToNetwork]
[PhysicalMemory]8387064 MB[/PhysicalMemory]
[/Environment]
[/SDLErrorDetails]

[Zmieniono 2010-08-19 12:35 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, I can't read that kind of errors Aug 19, 2010

Even if I'm an engineer, I still remain a human being and my perception stops there after the first 4 or 5 lines
Nevertheless, let's try to localize the error other way.
How big are the MIF files?
SDLXLIFF does incorporate source file, if the file is not too big. In your case it might have happened - SDLXLIFF did not incorporate the source, as it was over 5 MB in size. If so, we could try to recreate the translation with newly converted MIFs.
There is also a slight possibility, that your project.xml file got corrupted.
This would be in fact the first option to test. However, this will remove your projects from the list in Studio (not from the hard disk and the projects will still remain accessible, but not directly from Studio - they would need to be registered first). In My documents (or for Windows 7 under Documents) locate the SDL Trados Studio folder. Within that folder you will find a Projects folder and a Project.xml there. Make a backup copy of it and delete the file. Then go to your project folder and open the project by double clicking the project file. Try producing target again (manually).
Thank you for your patience.

xxxOTMed
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jerzy Aug 19, 2010

In the meantime I was approached by a person related to the SDL support /sorry to sound enigmatic, but Im keeping their details to myself for the sake of goodwill and confidentiality/, who is willing to help. Both swift the reaction and the willingness to help are much appreciated.

Sorry to sound blatant, but Im paid for producing good medical translations and not for investigating or fixing software glitches, and I simply run out of time and patience to continue to struggle with the simple act or saving target files.
Im hoping to get the problem solved, provided my client accepts the offer from the NDA standpoint.
The said support are well aware of the problem/s and the MIF-improved Studio version is apparently on the way, according to the message. Ill post here if any helpful info emerges which may be of use to the current/future users.
Cheers and thanks again.

[Zmieniono 2010-08-19 18:36 GMT]

Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 08:27
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Known issue (to me) Aug 20, 2010

TRADOS has always had problems processing MIFs, actually exporting them for some reason. I've run into the same problems on several such projects and I gave up due to time constraints. How can you deliver a project if the software cannot finalise a few of the deliverables? You are left with a few files that simply cannot be finalised (due to mysterious errors or no errors at all etc.). I managed to finalise such "problematic" files by downloading a MemoQ trial and importing everything there and then producing the MIF files. This was quick and clean, since all the translation work was done. After several such experiences, it is clear that some files are simply too much for TRADOS. Studio is extremely resource-intensive on any machine (from what I can see, the more resources it has, the more it consumes). I have been working with TRADOS for the last 8 or 9 years, but some things are just not up to scratch yet.
PS: I have no idea how much it costs now, but I can sure tell you that with all the upgrades along the time it totals much more than 1000 euro.

[Editat la 2010-08-20 21:10 GMT]

xxxOTMed
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Follow-up Aug 23, 2010

Just received a message from SDL cust service, according to which SDL Studio MIF filter is not capable of processing larger MIF files. No file size limit has been provided, and they confirmed they were unable to process the 4 inconvertable files in their environment.
The advice is to split a larger file into several smaller files.
SDL Studio version which will handle the files better is "on the way, hopefully this year"

Considering this, and a number of utterly irritating glitches, I don't see how SDL Studio is considered a finished product. Just one out of some 20 'features' I came across after some 3 days of my painstaking SDL Studio experience:
You work in Studio. Then you run Workbench. Studio will loose the connection to Multiterm and term recognition will be stopped. You are then supposed to find a .bat file, which will restore registry entries and the connection. Once you do this, however, you will loose some of your custom settings, such as keyboard shortcuts you have just completed customizing after 2 some hours. In case you wonder if this is some kind of a pathetic joke, no, you are wrong. This is the way SDL Studio works.
Not to mention the fact that terminology management soft is still such a ridiculously complicated, standalone, separate program.

Studio panel switching from a keyboard shortcut? Yes, you can do this. On some screens. You just have to mouse click the panel you need to switch to, and then you can use the keyboard shortcut.

Thanks all, again, for your invaluable help, and thank you SDL Cust Service for your swift reaction to this post, and apologies for my bitter tone after $$$ spend on the software, and hours/$$$ spent in vain on trying to make it work.

[Zmieniono 2010-08-23 10:53 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Nihil novi sub sole Aug 23, 2010

Dr G. Palka wrote:

You work in Studio. Then you run Workbench. Studio will loosing the connection to Multiterm and term recognition will be stopped. You are then supposed to find a .bat file, which will restore registry entries and the connection. Once you do this, however, you will loose some of your custom settings, such as keyboard shortcuts you have completed customizing after 2 paintaking hours. In case you wonder if this is some kind of a pathetic joke, no, you are wrong.

Well, this is past. In the next release, coming hopefuly soon, of which I am testing a pre-release beta, this does not apply anymore. Run Workbench, it works. Start Studio - term recognition wokr. Runs Studio and Worbench at time - both work.

This is the way SDL Studio works.

Well, indedd it worked that way

Not to mention the fact that terminology management soft is still such a ridiculously complicated, standalone, separate program.

Not really true. As soon a termbase has been created I do not need to see MultiTerm unless I need to change something in termbase setting. The whole management of terminology works in Studio - adding, editing, updating or deleting terms, all features available. What you cannot do, are management tasks for termbase. But is this really something one need to do on daily basis?

Studio panel switching from a keyboard shortcut? Yes, you can do this. On some screens. You just have to mouse click the panel you need to switch to, and then you can use the keyboard shortcut.

On the wishlist already. I admit this is pain in the a...
But the developer know that.

Best regards
Jerzy

xxxOTMed
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jerzy, I do admire your optimism Aug 23, 2010

and a very positive attitude regardless of obvious problems in SDL Studio. I wish I was half as confident in SDL, but my recent experience is much, much less favourable, Im afraid.

Just two quick points, as I feel I was perhaps misunderstood.
Well, this is past. In the next release...

No, Jerzy, let me make it clear. This is present, not past, and a good couple of months (?) after the Studio was released.

Not really true. As soon a termbase has been created I do not need to see MultiTerm ...

I said it was a ridiculously complicated standalone program, because it was. How often, when and why you use its an entirely different story.

I dont think I would like to list more problems here, but after 3 days of work on one medium size job, I could easily identify at least 15 more Studio problems, quite typical to beta or even pre-beta software. I dont think Im going to use it until the basic glitches are fixed, because this would be not only frustrating but also counterproductive.
Lets wait and and see for the next version to pop up. Who knows, it may even have decent concordance search times on a quad-core pentium?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oh my! Aug 23, 2010

Dr G. Palka wrote:
Just received a message from SDL cust service, according to which SDL Studio MIF filter is not capable of processing larger MIF files. No file size limit has been provided, and they confirmed they were unable to process the 4 inconvertable files in their environment.

This made my day! Thanks for the laughs!

(I entirely sympathise with your situation though.)

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well - I am a beta tester Aug 23, 2010

so there comes my optimism most certainly
Nevertheless - and not as an excuse for SDL, but just FWIW - I do not have so much problems with Studio. This is certainly a result of having pushed far over a million words through it.
And I am a person used to glitches - no software I use is glitch free, so I developed techniques to sail around those reefs.
But I admit, it should work better.

As for the problem with term rechognition: these are not present since the very beginning, but came up "just" after SP2 has been released Admitably long enough there to be adressed better than by providing a "bat" file.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
slightly off-topic and naive Aug 24, 2010

Dr G. Palka wrote:

SDL Studio version which will handle the files better is "on the way, hopefully this year"
]

Luckily I don't have to use SDL products but reading/looking through posts like this one, I wonder - has anyone actually ever tried to sue SDL for selling products, which do not work? Because I think I would
Happy Tuesday to everyone
Ewa

[Edited at 2010-08-24 12:17 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
OT: sueing for not working software products Aug 24, 2010

Leaving aside this very case I think you would never ever succeed, as the license agreement will block that for sure. There is no warranty the product (software in general) will work always ever on each PC under all circumstances.

Coming back to this case, the files which are not working are huge. I wonder if Framemaker itself does not have problems with such files. A good question would also be why MIF files grew so huge - from my experience MIF is a good and quite compact format.
So even if the software should work and we do expect it to, every computer has its limits and so has software.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem opening and exporting MIFs in Studio

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search