Thread poster: Dominique COENE
Dominique COENE
Dominique COENE  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:03
English to French
+ ...
Aug 19, 2010

Hi,
I am actually working with Trados 2006 on Windows XP, but I recently bought a new laptop to get more efficiency (too slow & too old for me now). This is running on Windows 7, therefore I cannot install my Trados 2006 on it... My question is the following : is an upgrade to Trados Studio 2009 sufficient or shall I buy the product at full price because it is not possible to run Trados 2006 & 2007?
If I understood well
... See more
Hi,
I am actually working with Trados 2006 on Windows XP, but I recently bought a new laptop to get more efficiency (too slow & too old for me now). This is running on Windows 7, therefore I cannot install my Trados 2006 on it... My question is the following : is an upgrade to Trados Studio 2009 sufficient or shall I buy the product at full price because it is not possible to run Trados 2006 & 2007?
If I understood well, Trados Studio 2009 works with MS Office 2003 too? I hope I won't be obliged to upgrade it too... :-/
Thank you in advance for your answer.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Studio works on Win7 Aug 19, 2010

And it supports Word files for 2000/XP/2003 and 2007.
With Studio you will also get SDL Trados 2007 Suite, which is also working in Win7.
T2007 can be used with Word 2003 or Word 2007 as text editor - but in that case you do not take ANY advantage of Studio.
Studio does not work with Word as text editor. This program has an fully integrated text editor.

HTH
Jerzy

Dominique COENE
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
full version or upgrade? Aug 19, 2010

Thaks Jerzy for this precision.
Do you think I will have to buy the full product to install on this new computer or is it possible "just" to buy the upgrade from 2006 to 2009?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Upgrade = full product Aug 19, 2010

The difference here is just the price.
Both upgrade and "full product" deliver you the same installers. (AFAIR/AFAIK)

Dominique COENE
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
don't need to install Trados 2006 first to upgrade to 2009? Aug 19, 2010

I read that I had first to install Trados 2006 (impossible on Windows 7) to be able to install the upgrades afterwards... isn't it the cas than?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You need T2007 Aug 19, 2010

and this works under Windows 7. T2006 will not be needed anymore.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
T2007 Aug 19, 2010

DC Languages wrote:

I read that I had first to install Trados 2006 (impossible on Windows 7)

It's possible but it's not intuitive.

to be able to install the upgrades afterwards... isn't it the cas than?

No, it's not necessary and it's not recommended in most cases.
You should only install T2007 provided with T2009 (T2009 still lacks some basic components e.g. WinAlign and T2007 may be needed for the data migration)..

Cheers
GG

Dominique COENE
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no need to buy full version than? Aug 19, 2010

Thanks a lot for all those precisions!
So there is no need to buy the full version and an upgrade is enough, even on a new PC without any trace of any Trados, isn't it? Saving 500€, it's well interesting, I just wanted to be sure before buying it in order to avoid to have to pay twice (1st the ugrade, than the full product...)

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Upgrade eligibility Aug 19, 2010

So there is no need to buy the full version and an upgrade is enough, even on a new PC without any trace of any Trados, isn't it?

You are eligible for an upgrade if you are the owner of a version of the software, which means you have a licence that you have paid for. It does not matter on which PC you are going to install it. An upgrade is basically an extension of your already purchased license to allow you to use the newer version. And this extension (upgrade) usually has a lower price tag than a full version.

To be able to purchase an upgrade, you must usually provide a proof that you already own a licence of the same product, but there is no requirement nor physical check that the previous SW version is installed on the same computer as the one on which you are going to install the new version.

This is the usual and widespread upgrade policy, not only of SDL but also of most software editors.

Walter

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Ask SDL, what you need to buy Aug 19, 2010

I do not know the pricing policy of SDL, but from the technical point of view you need upgrade software, not full version.
I am afraid you are mixing things here.
What price do you have to pay, this will be decided by SDL.
But what you get are simply installation packages - and those do not depend on price.
The installation is easy.
On a clean Windows installation install Office first.
Then install T2007, then Studio and Multiterm as the last one.

Dominique COENE
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, now I understand better, upgrade is based on owned licence, not on software on HD Aug 20, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

An upgrade is basically an extension of your already purchased license to allow you to use the newer version.

Walter

Thanks Walter, now I understand better, I thought the upgrade was based on the presence of this software on my HD, that's why I didn't understand well how a simple upgrade should be enough to help me

Thanks for your help

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgrade from Trados 2006 to Studio 2009 on new PC with Windows 7

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »