Studio trial version - TTX presegmentation
Thread poster: Wouter Vanhees

Wouter Vanhees  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
Aug 20, 2010

Hello,

I have a question regarding the trial version of Studio 2009 which can be downloaded from SDL's website.

This trial version (full version I presume) is valid for 30 days. However, would it still be possible to use this trial version to presegment TTX-files after the 30-day trial period has finished?

Thanks for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 15:55
French to German
+ ...
Not in Studio Aug 20, 2010

Studio is not the right tool for this! It only handles TTX documents for backward compatibility.

It does not create TTX from a source document.

You should use Trados Suite 2007 to do this.

Walter

Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2007 - included in trial version? Aug 20, 2010

Is Trados Suite 2007 included in the 30-day trial version of Studio 2009?

I've read that this trial version is in fact the full version, and as the full (payable) version of Studio 2009 includes Suite 2007, I'm wondering if this is also the case for the 30-day free trial version.

And if yes, is the presegmentation function of TagEditor still available in the trial version after the 30-day period has finished?

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Just google... Aug 20, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

Studio is not the right tool for this! It only handles TTX documents for backward compatibility.

It does not create TTX from a source document.

You should use Trados Suite 2007 to do this.

True.
The problem is T2007 Suite was never published as trial, the latest version provided officially by SDL was 8.0.0.822 aka Trados 2007 which is no longer available at the SDL website.

Nonetheless, if you google for "Trados 2007 download" or similar, I suppose you'll find it easily.
As the software is copy protected, I don't think it really violates the SDL license rights but the Multiterm case is completely different.
As the software was not copy protected, the unauthorized distrubution/installation is 100% illegal.

Cheers
GG

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Studio trial does not include 2007 Aug 20, 2010

The trial version is an installer that installs a full-fledged version of SDL Trados Studio 2009, which will run as Professional for the first 30 days. It does not include the 2007 version (because new customers do not need it).

What do you mean by "Tag Editor presegmentation"? Can you tell us what you are trying to do?

Walter

Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CAT tool choice Aug 20, 2010

Well, I'm trying to determine which CAT tool I should invest in. I'd like to be able to handle TTX-files, however, I'm reluctant in getting Studio 2009 (expensive, tough nut to crack, buggy from what I gather at this forum,...). So I'm looking at other CAT tools that can handle TTX files.

Apparently it is possible to work on TTX files with other CAT tools, however, the precondition with most tools seems to be that the TTX file is presegmented, which apparently is only possible efficiently in Trados (TagEditor I believe). It's been suggested in another forum on this site that I download the trial version of Trados, so I can do this presegmentation, and then work on the presegmented TTX file in the CAT tool of my choice. Hence my original question...

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Why TTX? Aug 20, 2010

Could you elaborate a bit on why you want to focus on the TTX format?

TTX is a Trados proprietary format, not intended for exchange with other CAT tools at all and it has been replaced by SDLXLIFF since Studio 2009 came out, which means that this format will eventually disappear.

So, why would someone invest in a new software in order to be able to handle this format. Why do you need this? Do you get files in TTX format for translation? If yes, then you should either use Trados 2007 for this or ask your client when he plans to upgrade to Studio, which means that you will not get TTX files anymore, as Studio does not use this format anymore.

Walter

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Test before yo state Aug 20, 2010

Glocalise wrote:

Well, I'm trying to determine which CAT tool I should invest in. I'd like to be able to handle TTX-files, however, I'm reluctant in getting Studio 2009 (expensive, tough nut to crack, buggy from what I gather at this forum,...).

Ever thought about testing yourself?
Why? Because I do not drive a Mercedes. It is to expensive. Would you sign this?
Maybe. But when I say I don't drive it, because it is too comfortable? Wouldn't you better like to test youreself? When I say a car with sporting wheel suspension is not uncomfortable, would you believe that? But you believe just what people say here.
Studio is neither expensive, nor tough to crack. It may be buggy, but not more than Across for instance or other software.
Test and make your own picture.

Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 20, 2010

Thanks very much for your valuable input!

I'll keep those points in mind when figuring out which CAT to get (after having tested them, of course).

French to Polish
+ ...
Varia Aug 20, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

Could you elaborate a bit on why you want to focus on the TTX format?

TTX is a Trados proprietary format, not intended for exchange with other CAT tools

But it's internal structure is quite simple and most CAT tools are able to read these files with no problems, especially if presegmented.
Duruing the last 10 years, I made almost all my TTX jobs in DVX except the smallest ones, I use TagEditor only for the last revisions and the final QA.

at all and it has been replaced by SDLXLIFF since Studio 2009 came out, which means that this format will eventually disappear.

But it will have a very long life.

So, why would someone invest in a new software in order to be able to handle this format. Why do you need this?

Because the customers need it.
AFAIK most translation offices delay the upgrade to T2009 and the Trados part of the market is slowly declining.
In my neighourhood at least 4 or 5 small and middle size TO switched to memoQ, one to Swordfish, one prefers Wordfast Pro and one implements some pure XLIFF workflow.
Nobody sends me T2009 files.
The legacy TTX workflow is simply well tested and it makes no sense to change it as long it works.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Studio is neither expensive, nor tough to crack. It may be buggy, but not more than Across for instance or other software.

The difference is I receive Across bugs for free and I must pay the Trados ones

As I often say, Studio itself is not bad but the Multiterm programming is a shame.
The software is intended to work with it and not to fight against it.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-08-20 16:51 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Ask GG ;-) Aug 20, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
Nonetheless, if you google for "Trados 2007 download" or similar, I suppose you'll find it easily. As the software is copy protected, I don't think it really violates the SDL license rights but the Multiterm case is completely different.
Cheers
GG

Of course this is nonsense Grzegorz, and you shouldn't give out such bad advice because if you copy, download, install or use this software then it would violate SDL’s rights.

I took a little advice just to be sure of my facts and the short version answer is:

• anyone who copies, downloads, installs, uses, displays or distributes any copyrighted software without the copyright owner’s permission is likely to be in breach of contract and also to lay themselves open to criminal charges in the country that they are in and possibly elsewhere; and
  • SDL Trados (all versions) and SDL MultiTerm are the copyrighted property of SDL.
  • To copy, download, install, use, display or distribute any SDL software you would need SDL’s permission, which you obtain by buying a license from SDL or, in some cases, an authorised reseller. To act otherwise would put you on the wrong side of the law.

The long answer included the offer to list out likely criminal offences (without permission of the owner: making a copy of the software, importing the copyright software, possessing equipment for the purposes of making infringing copies, etc.), but I shall spare you that. Their list of offenses for anyone who displays or provides the software for someone else to download was longer, by the way.

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
As the software was not copy protected, the unauthorized distrubution/installation is 100% illegal.
Cheers
GG

On whether it makes a difference that software is “copy protected” they added:

Putting a restriction on number of copies does not mean that you grant the right to make that number of illegal installations of your software. If you half fill the petrol tank of your car are you granting strangers the right to hotwire the car and drive it away, but only until the petrol runs out?

Anyway, not a good idea and everything you read on a forum is not always true

Regards

Paul

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translation agencies really reluctant to move to Studio 2009 Aug 20, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
AFAIK most translation offices delay the upgrade to T2009 and the Trados part of the market is slowly declining. In my neighourhood at least 4 or 5 small and middle size TO switched to memoQ, one to Swordfish, one prefers Wordfast Pro and one implements some pure XLIFF workflow. Nobody sends me T2009 files.

Same situation over here. Only one of my customers asked me about Studio 2009 (but in the end sent TTX files). The rest (and many of them are leading agencies in their countries) are evaluating other options as far as I am aware.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Test as many as you can and then choose Aug 20, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I completely agree with this. One should test the products... but many products.

French to Polish
+ ...
Legal tricks... Aug 25, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
Nonetheless, if you google for "Trados 2007 download" or similar, I suppose you'll find it easily. As the software is copy protected, I don't think it really violates the SDL license rights but the Multiterm case is completely different.

Of course this is nonsense Grzegorz, and you shouldn't give out such bad advice because if you copy, download, install or use this software then it would violate SDL’s rights.

Paul, the copyright and license related laws may be very complex and may be tricky.
E.g. according to the Polish Language Protection Act your EULA (provided in English) is invalid if your software was purchased in Poland.
Seriously.
Of course, the common sense says your EULA should be taken in account but the problem is it contains a plenty of crazy statements, so it's difficult to distinguish the sound ones

E.g. if you state:
If Customer has purchased multiple licenses for the Product, then at any time Customer may have as many copies of the Product in use on a Workstation Computer as Customer has licenses; provided, however, that the total number of users (not the concurrent number of users) that are permitted to use the Product shall not exceed the number of licenses.
why damn you sell floating Professional licenses which price is almost two times higher than the noded locked one?
It's just because you know the concurrent use is the reason why the translation offices buy floating licences
In the same way, I can use different account on my PC to run node locked licensed Trados (in the real life of a translation office, it corresponds to a multiple user scenario).
And so on.

The common sense works in both directions

Cheers from holiday
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio trial version - TTX presegmentation

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search