Katarina Gould (X)
Katarina Gould (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:51
English to Slovak
+ ...
Aug 20, 2010

Hi all,

Have anyone of you come across this problem? I was loading a new project into my Studio 2009. When I started loading the TM (which is in MDB), an error occured: "Translation memory could not be loaded: 'Failed to open the selected translation memory (error code = -1072955381).'"

I normally open this type of memory in Studio without any problem and then Studio converts it itself into a format it needs. Not this time though. Any clues?

PS: This happe
... See more
Hi all,

Have anyone of you come across this problem? I was loading a new project into my Studio 2009. When I started loading the TM (which is in MDB), an error occured: "Translation memory could not be loaded: 'Failed to open the selected translation memory (error code = -1072955381).'"

I normally open this type of memory in Studio without any problem and then Studio converts it itself into a format it needs. Not this time though. Any clues?

PS: This happened to me once before, when I started using my new computer and only had Office 2010 installed in it. After I have installed Office 2007, problem disappeared. Did the same this time (installed Office 2007 as I recently uninstalled it) but the TM still doesn't load.

Thank you for any ideas in advance.

Kate
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:51
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You need to convert the TM to Studio format before you start Aug 20, 2010

It wonders me, that - as you say - Studio would open a mdb or tmw directly.
From what I know you have to upgrade those TMs first to Studio format.
To do so, use Tools - Upgrade Translation Memories.

Or are you referring to MultiTerm termbases (they also have the file extension mdb), which indeed can be loaded directly after confirming, that Studio shall upgrade them to the new format?

Katarina Gould (X)
Katarina Gould (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried to upgrade Aug 20, 2010

Hi Jerzy,

I tried it the way you suggested - Tools - Upgrade Translation Memories, but the result is the same. I get the same error message. Can be something wrong with my computer?

I have been converting TMs into Studio before without a problem, so I really don't know what could have happened.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Test another tm please Aug 20, 2010

And, as you have Studio, you will also have SDLX - so you can check, if this tm does open there.
Most probably the tm is damaged somehow.

Katarina Gould (X)
Katarina Gould (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It doesn't open in SDLX either Aug 20, 2010

I have tried to open it in SDLX and it doesn't open there either. But what is worse it did not even want to let me create a new translation memory. I asked my PM to send me the TMs again and the result was the same. He says he can open them without a problem. This makes me think there must be something wrong on my side. But what? I really don't understand this situation.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Which one does not allow you to create a new TM? Aug 20, 2010

This is really strange - I did not encounter any such situation up to now.
Ask the PM for a TMX export (TMX1.4b), create a new TM in Studio and import the content there.
If however Studio does not allow you to create a TM, I would try to repair the Studio installation. his simply means installing the product again over the existing installation without uninstalling anything.

Katarina Gould (X)
Katarina Gould (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No change Aug 20, 2010

I have reinstalled both Studio and Trados 2007. It was a good idea but unfortunately didn't make any difference. I can still open a supported TM in Studio.
When I opened the file for translation in SDLX, it did not let me either open or create a memory. This is strange indeed. Especially because I used to upgrade mdb memories in Studio before without a problem. Any other ideas what might be wrong?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No ideas now, sorry Aug 20, 2010

But from what I read the problem is SDLX - so maybe you post a question regarding SDLX itself?

Katarina Gould (X)
Katarina Gould (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks anyway Aug 20, 2010

Thanks for your effort Jerzy anyway. You are probably right and there is something wrong with SDLX.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Is it really a TM? Aug 21, 2010

Hello Katarína,
this may sound stupid, but is the MDB file really a TM, or a MultiTerm termbase?

Katarina Gould (X)
Katarina Gould (X)
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is a TM Aug 22, 2010

I have already converted the TM into Studio format on a different computer and am using it now. My other computer, however, won't read the MDB file at all. I am wondering what could have caused such a sudden change.

Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Norway
English to Norwegian
Same problem here Aug 25, 2010

Katarína Jánošová wrote:

I have already converted the TM into Studio format on a different computer and am using it now. My other computer, however, won't read the MDB file at all. I am wondering what could have caused such a sudden change.

My problem is exactly the same. I have always received TMs in the "old" format (i.e for Trados 7.0) and have with no problem what so ever converted them into the file format for Studio during the process of creating a new project.

Now - a few days ago (or maybe weeks) it started to crash my Studio. I haven't found any solution, and to bad Trados' website contains very little options for getting in touch with someone at their support team.

Any help is much appreciated as this is starting to get critical for me.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Old format i.e. Trados 7 is NOT compatible Aug 25, 2010

so please start with precise information first:
what is exactly the format you've got your TM?
If it is Trados 7 you need to open it first with Trados 2007 Suite, reorganize and close. Then you should be able to upgrade it.

Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Alf Ivar Tronsmo
Norway
English to Norwegian
Strange Aug 27, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

so please start with precise information first:
what is exactly the format you've got your TM?
If it is Trados 7 you need to open it first with Trados 2007 Suite, reorganize and close. Then you should be able to upgrade it.

...because I haven't needed to do so untill for just about a week or two ago. I just schose the TM I needed, and 2009 Studio would automatically convert it to 2009 Studios TM format.

But not anymore - now it just crashes.

And if you are right I got a problem, because I don't have 2007 Suite. Is there any way I can convert TMs created with 7.0 Freelance into a TM for 2009 Studio?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It is not strange Aug 27, 2010

And converting TM in TMW format to Studio without having Trados 2007 installed on your machine is not possible, at least for what I know about the software.
To convert a TM from legacy Trados format you must install Suite (Trados 2007).
You do have it there, where you downloaded Studio.
Or export the TM in TMX format and use this for upgrading.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error when loading TM into Studio

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »