Thread poster: Japamerican

Japamerican  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:33
Japanese to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2010

Hello!

Thank you in advance. I am trying to figure out how many TMs you can open simultaneously. When you open multiple TMs, does the Workbench only use the latest one you opened, or does it use all the TMs you specified to open?

I appreciate your time.

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'd also like know Aug 20, 2010

Hi again,

I am having trouble translating a link and keeping it a link, using TagEditor of Trados 2007. When I copy and paste it, it loses it's hyperlink.

I appreciate it.

Thank you!

Kerem Gecmen
Local time: 16:33
English to Turkish
+ ...
Trados help Aug 20, 2010

Regarding your first question, you can open as many TM's as you like by (and only by) opening more than one workbench (you will be able to open one TM in each workbench). However, only the first TM will be operative on the document both in the word template and in tag editor. So for instance if you translate a document after opening multiple TM's (by opening multiple workbenchs), the segments will be saved only to the TM that is open in the "first" workbench you opened. So, you "can" open multiple TM's in Trados, you cannot use multiple tm's at the same time in translation process because the word template and tag editor recognizes only the first workbench. However, you can open multiple TM's as I indicated above and use the tools (analyse, translate, clean up and concordance) of each TM separately without the need to close all TM's except one.

Regarding your second question, I suggest that you try performing "copy source" (alt + insert) to take the links into the target segment box, and then, if you are translating (thus changing) some parts of the link, try clicking on the part you are willing to change and do the modification. If you do these format remains the same, and the link will be preserved.

Helen Matthews  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:33
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
2nd TM for reference only Aug 21, 2010

Unless you have a multiple-user license, I suspect you may have problems opening more than one instance of workbench at any one time.

However, you can work with one TM and have another open at the same time for reference only (i.e. a concordance search will search both TMs but only the one you're actually working with will be updated). Would this be of any help? If so, when you have the concordance window open, simply go to options and you'll see a tab to select a reference (read-only) TM....

Alternatively, you could export any TMs you wish to use for reference in .txt form and then simply search them as required....

Hope this helps!!

All the best,

Helen

PS: For the hyperlink, I would agree with Karem - try simply copying the source and just ensure you don't delete any tags!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:33
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What do you mean by this? Aug 21, 2010

Japanese Person wrote:

Hi again,

I am having trouble translating a link and keeping it a link, using TagEditor of Trados 2007. When I copy and paste it, it loses it's hyperlink.

I appreciate it.

Thank you!

If you just copy source to target the complete text will be copied. So how is the hyperlink then lost? A hyperlink is nothing else as a piece of text, like this one: http://www.proz.com - it becomes a hyperling only because the forum software does recognize this as a URL. If I put it with spaces
http : // www . proz . com, it is just text... So TBH I do not really understand you.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:33
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
SDLX is my rescue Aug 21, 2010

If i need to use many TMs, I can import many TMs into one WorkBench TM. But SDLX [supplied by Trados until version 2007 and combined in version 2009] handles many TMs. It is easier for me to use, and it is interchangeable with WordFast TM (e.g. via TMX format or SDL utility software).

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 21, 2010

Wow, so many things I didn't know about!
Thank you Soonthon, Jerzy, Helen, & Kerem.

The Alt+Insert seems like the solution for me. I will try it. Thanks!

Jerzy, sorry for not being more clear. My problem was when I tried to copy and paste a hyperlinked text (text that is underlined and blue colored) to the target area, it copies the text, but doesn't transfer the underline and the blue color. I later found out that it's fine without the underline and the blue color, as the tageditor will do all the conversion for you.

But thanks!

I will look into SDLX as well, as it seems a lot simpler than T2007/TagEditor.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:33
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Colours, underline and so on are just SCREEN settings Aug 22, 2010

This is exactly as in Word - when you type www.proz.com there, it is plain text. Only if Word is set up to interpret the words like hyperlink and you enter the trailing space, the text will be changed to a hyperlink.
In Tageditor this functionality does not exist, so the hyperlink may appear greend over blue in bold instead of underlined - in the final document the link will be working.
Please bear in mind, that when working with TE you are in a program which is not WYSIWYG, because what you see on the screen doesn't matter - only the tags do.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many TMs can you open in Workbench?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search