SDL Trados Studio 2009 Starter - Does it import Trados memories in TMX and TXT format?
Thread poster: Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:51
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 21, 2010

I am reading about SDL Trados Studio 2009 Starter. Well, I don't quite like the idea that for 99 euros I don't own the software (just the right to use it for a year), but I admit that it is an alternative to the 795 euros of the Freelance version if you need to have SDL Trados Studio 2009 for compatibility with some customer.

I personally dislike the idea of installing an evaluation copy for a number of reasons, the main one being that I feel a degree of uncertainty about whether all my other tools will work OK later on. Sounds stupid, I know, and it is probably stupid, but this is how I feel after using Trados for a decade. Should probably just try, huh?

I hope I can ask you guys and SDL about the following:

The Product comparison you can see here shows that this product does not "Upgrade legacy TM formats".

- Do you know whether this means that it can NOT import Trados memories in TMX or TXT format?
- Does it import memories at all?
- In what formats does it import?

On another area, the Product comparison says that this edition does NOT have the "Project wizard to automatically prepare multiple files / languages projects". Does this mean that you cannot translate several files with this tool? Do you have to translate files one by one, i.e. projects with just one file?

Thank you very much in advance guys!

[Edited at 2010-08-21 11:56 GMT]

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Starter is mainly designed to process outsourced jobs Aug 21, 2010

Do you know whether this means that it can NOT import Trados memories in TMX or TXT format?
- Does it import memories at all?
- In what formats does it import?

No, Starter does not have any TM maintenance functions, which includes import and export. Let me however point out that when you install the Starter Edition, it will function as a full-fledged Professional Edition for the first 30 days, which means you could build up your TMs in this timeframe. Once you have them in the new format, you are OK.

On another area, the Product comparison says that this edition does NOT have the "Project wizard to automatically prepare multiple files / languages projects". Does this mean that you cannot translate several files with this tool? Do you have to translate files one by one, i.e. projects with just one file?

You can work on multiple files projects if you received the project as a package, but you cannot create multi-files projects on your own.

Keep in mind that one of the main purposes of the Starter Edition is to allow freelancers to do translation and review work for agencies without the need to invest in the price tag of the Freelance Edition. This is why it mainly includes the functions that you need for such a scenario.

Walter

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Aug 21, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:
Keep in mind that one of the main purposes of the Starter Edition is to allow freelancers to do translation and review work for agencies without the need to invest in the price tag of the Freelance Edition. This is why it mainly includes the functions that you need for such a scenario.

I see! Ok Walter. Thanks a million for all the information!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2009 Starter - Does it import Trados memories in TMX and TXT format?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search