Trados 6.5 on Windows 7
Thread poster: marek tesina

marek tesina  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 02:27
English to Czech
+ ...
Aug 23, 2010

Dear colleagues, my question is rather simple one. I was looking for a long time everywhere i could, but i could not find the answer. So here is the question. Is Trados 6.5 compatible with Windows 7. I´m about to by a new computer, but i don´t want to buy a new version of Trados yet. Also, i will have a MS Office 2007, which i guess will be the main issue. Thank you in advance for you responses.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Trados 6.5 will NOT work with Word 2007 Aug 23, 2010

As for Windows 7 - in most cases it has an integrated Windows XP emulator, so it will work at least there. But there is IMHO no real chance to get it working with Word 2007.
Your solution must be therefore Word XP on WinXP emulator in Win7.

marek tesina  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 6.5 on Windows 7 Aug 24, 2010

Dear Jerzy, thanks for your response. It is exactly what i thought. My version of Windows 7 is Home Premium. Do you think that this version has the integrated emulator that you were talking about? I´m not good friend with computers, so please bear with me.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Word 2003 on Windows 7 Aug 24, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

As for Windows 7 - in most cases it has an integrated Windows XP emulator, so it will work at least there. But there is IMHO no real chance to get it working with Word 2007.

Agreed.
Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Your solution must be therefore Word XP on WinXP emulator in Win7.

Can't you install Word 2003 on Win7?
(Note: remove Word 2007 first, then reinstall it after installing 2003 if you need it.)

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Win 7 HP does not have WinXP mode Aug 24, 2010

For this you would need Win7 ultimate or professional.
However you could try to build a virtual machine, ie. a Microsoft Virtual Machine.
But TBH it will be much easier to upgrade your Trados version.

[Edited at 2010-08-24 09:13 GMT]

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:27
Italian to English
+ ...
Mac + virtualisation software Aug 24, 2010

Look at buying a mac and using virtualisation software such as Fusion or Parallels, which allow you to run Windows within a window on your mac. (This is not the same as partitioning your hard drive.) This will allow you to continue using your current TRADOS setup but with all the benefits of a mac. Can't believe I waited so long before going Mac and I would heartily recommend it.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:27
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
You can’t buy a new version of Trados Aug 25, 2010

marek tesina wrote:

i don´t want to buy a new version of Trados yet.

You can’t, because Trados is dead. It was killed by SDL, and they suggest using SDL Trados Studio instead, which is a different program, despite of cunning use of ‘Trados’ in the name.

[Edited at 2010-08-25 07:42 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5 on Windows 7

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search