https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/178538-help_reinstalling_studio_2009_and_trados_2007_on_a_new_laptop.html

Help: Reinstalling Studio 2009 and Trados 2007 on a new laptop
Thread poster: katrelnada
katrelnada
katrelnada  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:41
English to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 23, 2010

Hi all,

I recently bought a new laptop and started working from home. I'm using Windows 7 and Office 2010 ...I did read about problems encountered when working with Trados or SDL on Windows 7- 64 bit, but others in the forrum said that Trados with all its components was working fine on their machine. Unfortunately, I'm not one of the lucky few! The installation went fine but when I started working the following happened:
(I prefer working with Tag Editor since I'm not yet prof
... See more
Hi all,

I recently bought a new laptop and started working from home. I'm using Windows 7 and Office 2010 ...I did read about problems encountered when working with Trados or SDL on Windows 7- 64 bit, but others in the forrum said that Trados with all its components was working fine on their machine. Unfortunately, I'm not one of the lucky few! The installation went fine but when I started working the following happened:
(I prefer working with Tag Editor since I'm not yet proficient in Studio 2009)

1- Workbench couldn't open my old TM (located on an external hard drive), the one I always used without fault in my older (and loyal) laptop...After a tip from one of the forum topics, I made a copy of the TM on my desktop and was able to use it. Anything wrong with external hard drives?
2- I also had to copy the ttx file I was previously working on...But then when I tried to "save target only", it gave me this weired message that TAG Editor can't see the original file at the directory (D:\............) and that I should copy it in this directory...Which I did, but then the same message persisted....I'm still stuck!! So pls, pls help, I can't clean the file!
3- Multiterm refused to work from the get go...Although I attached my Termbases and turned on the term recognition option, nothing happens...Although, I do get options "Multiterm 5" and "Multiterm 8", and I know that this is a sign of something really wrong!!

The same software was working fine on my older laptop...I was complaining from lack of speed and now I'm stuck!

Maybe something went wrong during the installation? I don't know...But I'd appreciate your help and expertise since I have to deliver the translation soon.

Thank you.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 08:41
French to German
+ ...
That was kind of a "risky" switch Aug 24, 2010

To 1: I am not aware of any problems with files on external hard drives. This is a normal 'File open' operation, which is handled by the OS, so to Trados, it does not make any difference where the file is physically located. On the other hand, I think that for performance reasons you are better off having your TM located on the laptop instead of an external harddrive.

To 2: This happened because you moved the file to a different location. TTX and the originating source file form a p
... See more
To 1: I am not aware of any problems with files on external hard drives. This is a normal 'File open' operation, which is handled by the OS, so to Trados, it does not make any difference where the file is physically located. On the other hand, I think that for performance reasons you are better off having your TM located on the laptop instead of an external harddrive.

To 2: This happened because you moved the file to a different location. TTX and the originating source file form a pair. If you move the source file, you have to tell the TTX where to find the source. To do this, open the TTX file in a plain text editor such as Wordpad and edit the string 'SourceDocumentPath=", which you will find at the beginning of the file to reflect the correct path of the source file.

To 3: Can you open your termbases from within Multiterm itself (not Workbench)? How did you transfer the termbases from your old PC to the new laptop? Which version of Multiterm are you using?

Let me make a general remark here: it is never a good idea to switch to a new computer in the middle of a translation project. You could have avoided at least the problem with the TTX source if you had finished that translation first. Also, this should not be done when you are under time pressure because moving all your working environment to a new PC can always bring up unexpected situations, not only with SDL Trados SW, and you need time to correct them.

Walter
Collapse

katrelnada
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried that... Aug 24, 2010

Thanx for the reply...

I'm used to carrying my files and TMs on an external hard drive...I frequently take work home and I never had this issue where I had to have the TM (and the translation file) on the desktop to be able to open it. So for that, I'm looking for answers...Some suggested exporting and creating in an upgraded format, but to my knowledge, Tag Editor still uses .tmw TMs.

As for the file, it is in a folder containing the original...so the first time I had
... See more
Thanx for the reply...

I'm used to carrying my files and TMs on an external hard drive...I frequently take work home and I never had this issue where I had to have the TM (and the translation file) on the desktop to be able to open it. So for that, I'm looking for answers...Some suggested exporting and creating in an upgraded format, but to my knowledge, Tag Editor still uses .tmw TMs.

As for the file, it is in a folder containing the original...so the first time I had this message, I was bewildered because the original is RIGHT THERE!
I did try to open the ttx file to change the "source document" path, and as far as I can tell it's correct! Ieven tried to copy the whole folder (original doc file and ttx) to the desktop and "save target only"...Same result: unable to find the original file...

Any suggestions??

Thnx in advance.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The source document path must fit exactly Aug 24, 2010

As for the file, it is in a folder containing the original...

Just to clarify: the source does not necessarily need to be in the same folder as the TTX, but it needs to be at the location specified in 'SourceDocumentPath'. If you move the files, even while keeping the folder name and structure from one PC to another, the path may change, be it maybe just the drive letter.

So, please check that the entire path is correct.

Walter

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Check file name for non-latin characters or spaces Aug 24, 2010

It is enough the original file name did contain a non-latin character which can't be produced by your OS. Or a space in file name. Most probably the reason why you can't save the file.

katrelnada
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No non-latin characters in file names but new error message Aug 25, 2010

Hi,

My file has no non-latin characters in the name...The only thing that's different is that the drive letter is different from one PC to another....But again that never posed any problems just 2 weeks ago when I was going back and forth between my work PC and my laptop (On the first, it was the C drive and My documents folder and on the laptop it's the F drive with the same folder).

In desperation, I've started to retranslate the document ...But then, whenever I want
... See more
Hi,

My file has no non-latin characters in the name...The only thing that's different is that the drive letter is different from one PC to another....But again that never posed any problems just 2 weeks ago when I was going back and forth between my work PC and my laptop (On the first, it was the C drive and My documents folder and on the laptop it's the F drive with the same folder).

In desperation, I've started to retranslate the document ...But then, whenever I want to "save target only", I get this message:

Runtime Error!
Program: Files(x86)\SDL International\T2007-FL\TT\TagEditor.exe requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way!
Abnormal termination!

Lots of exclamation marks!!! In the three and a half years I've used Trados, I've never encountered this message...
Any idea what it means??

Thnx in advance
Collapse

Ayob Salleh
Ayob Salleh  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:41
English to Malay
Help: Reinstalling Studio 2009 and Trados 2007 on a new laptop" topic in the "SDL Trados support" Aug 25, 2010

I am using the same Operating system (Windows7) and SDL 2007 as you
I am having problem with SDL 2009

I have the same problem - file cannot open. But I manage to solve only the workbench.
Please try this.

Create new folder. (prefereable in the same folder as the workbench - so that you can monitor)
Copy all the the five files (Trados Index file and Translation file) into the new folder.
Open the the workbench
You should be able to op
... See more
I am using the same Operating system (Windows7) and SDL 2007 as you
I am having problem with SDL 2009

I have the same problem - file cannot open. But I manage to solve only the workbench.
Please try this.

Create new folder. (prefereable in the same folder as the workbench - so that you can monitor)
Copy all the the five files (Trados Index file and Translation file) into the new folder.
Open the the workbench
You should be able to open the Workbench

I use this method for both Vista and Windows 7
Collapse

katrelnada
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thnx Ayob...I solved it differently! Aug 26, 2010

I uninstalled Trados and reinstalled it...And it's working fine although I suspect that MultiTerm is still not working...or Workbench can't detect it!

If you have the same settings as mine (OS, software), do you think it's related to Windows 64-bit?? Any solutions?

Also Synergy is not working...It gives me an error massage everytime I open my laptop!

Any ideas??

Thnx in advance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: Reinstalling Studio 2009 and Trados 2007 on a new laptop

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »