Using files created in Wordfast Classic in Trados
Thread poster: Chris Lovelace

Chris Lovelace  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:15
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 24, 2010

A new client has requested a translation in which they request: "Please use Trados and deliver clean and unclean files."

I have explained that I am using Wordfast Classic, but I know that the tagged document it generates in Microsoft Word is compatible with Trados. For the time being, this is acceptable to the client.

I would like to give the client a step-by-step guide so that they can open the uncleaned Wordfast document (which is saved as an MS Word 2002 file, but has the tags in it) in Trados.

Wordfast has the following files associated for this project:

1. Uncleaned Translation.DOC - The tagged document in MS Word.
2. Cleaned Translation.DOC - Same as #!, with the tags removed.
3. Uncleaned Translation.BAK
4. Cleaned Translation.BAK
5. TranslationTM.txt - The file that contains the actual translation memory.
6. TranslationTM.Itm

What does the client need to do to import these documents into Trados?


 

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:15
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Using files created in Wordfast Classic in Trados Aug 24, 2010

This is what I am doing. Reason: Trados+Word corrupt formats of Thai, Japanese, Chinese etc. I use Trados + WFC interchangeably. This means translation in WFC and cleaning in Trados, or translation in Trados and cleaning in WFC. Of course, TM will be updated. WFC TM and Trados TM are interchanged through TMX format. Proz.com discuss these matters many times.

Best regards,
Soonthon Lupkitaro


 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:15
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Do the clean-up in Trados Workbench Aug 24, 2010

Your client can use the clean-up function in WB to get the cleaned translation and update their TM in one step.

Regards
Heinrich


 

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 15:15
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Simply open the unclean .doc file in Word Aug 24, 2010

No mystery there.

If you get a Word file for translation, you translate this using Wordfast and safe the bilingual file.
This is ready to be opened by the client with Word (the client should treat this file as any word file translated using Trados). It is cleaned in the exact same way as any other unclean word file using Trados, whereby the client's TM is updated as usual.

The clean file should be pretty obvious - it only contains the translation and is in the same format as the original file sent for translation, in this case Word. This is good to go.


 

Chris Lovelace  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:15
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 24, 2010

Thank you for the responses. PCov was especially helpful, though I am intrigued by Soonthon's method.

I have been wondering for a while how to use pointed Hebrew (ie, Hebrew with vowel points added) in a CAT tool, because adding the vowels makes the CAT tool treat the words as different stems. Besides that, the fonts seems to cause problems. I'm wondering if using Soonthin's method might improve results. (I'm not sure why this method seems like it will improve results, but I'm willing to give it a shot).


 

Deolindo  Identity Verified
Angola
Member
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Getting and rrror message though Aug 25, 2010

PCovs wrote:
It is cleaned in the exact same way as any other unclean word file using Trados, whereby the client's TM is updated as usual.


However, when I tried to open the WFC bilingual file with SDL Trados Studio 2009 I got the following error message: "This file cannot be processed because it was saved as a bilingual document in Word. Only monolingual files are supported".

Is there anyhting I'm missing in this thread on how to update your Trados TM with WFC files?


 

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 15:15
French to German
+ ...
May work in Trados 2007 but not in Studio Aug 25, 2010

Hi Deolindo

I guess PCovs meant the 2007 version when she referred to 'Trados'. Studio 2009 can definitely not open bilingual Word files. The only bilingual formats it supports are TTX and SDLXLIFF.

Walter


 

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:15
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My contrarian habit? Aug 25, 2010

Deolindo wrote:
PCovs wrote:
It is cleaned in the exact same way as any other unclean word file using Trados, whereby the client's TM is updated as usual.

However, when I tried to open the WFC bilingual file with SDL Trados Studio 2009 I got the following error message: "This file cannot be processed because it was saved as a bilingual document in Word. Only monolingual files are supported".
Is there anyhting I'm missing in this thread on how to update your Trados TM with WFC files?

I remember I posted my contrarian habit title in another recent forum: a tweak to open WFC bilingual file successfully in Studio 2009. This is an extraordinary method only for a special purpose.

Soonthon Lupkitaro


 

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 15:15
French to German
+ ...
Could you explain your method more in detail? Aug 25, 2010


I remember I posted my contrarian habit title in another recent forum: a tweak to open WFC bilingual file successfully in Studio 2009. This is an extraordinary method only for a special purpose.

Soonthon Lupkitaro


I read this post, but it did not seem complete to me. I suspect that some special characters have not been displayed correctly because you said for example that one had to replace "" by another character such as "_". Which character needs to be replaced?
Also you mentioned that you do this in a Wordfile, but in the next sentence you say that you open this as SDLXLIFF in Studio. Can you explain how the Word file suddenly became a XLIFF file?

I would appreciate if you could describe your method more in detail as I would be interested in testing this "special approach".

Walter


 

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 15:15
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Why would you want to open it in Studio??? Aug 25, 2010

Deolindo wrote:

PCovs wrote:
It is cleaned in the exact same way as any other unclean word file using Trados, whereby the client's TM is updated as usual.


However, when I tried to open the WFC bilingual file with SDL Trados Studio 2009 I got the following error message: "This file cannot be processed because it was saved as a bilingual document in Word. Only monolingual files are supported".

Is there anyhting I'm missing in this thread on how to update your Trados TM with WFC files?


The original question here was how to deliver the bilingual word file to a client requesting the use of Trados for translation.

Whether translated in Wordfast or Trados (earlier than Studio) the bilingual Word file would look the same.
Any client requesting a bilingual Word file would want to clean this bilingual file up using Trados - and everybody would know that this cannot be done in Studio, only in previous versions of Trados. And it is usually done without opening the file itself.

There are extensive debates here in the forums discussing exactly which formats Studio can handle, and which not, should you be interested in further info.


 

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:15
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Tag problems Aug 26, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:


I remember I posted my contrarian habit title in another recent forum: a tweak to open WFC bilingual file successfully in Studio 2009. This is an extraordinary method only for a special purpose.

Soonthon Lupkitaro


I read this post, but it did not seem complete to me. I suspect that some special characters have not been displayed correctly because you said for example that one had to replace "" by another character such as "_". Which character needs to be replaced?
Also you mentioned that you do this in a Wordfile, but in the next sentence you say that you open this as SDLXLIFF in Studio. Can you explain how the Word file suddenly became a XLIFF file?

1. Trados "" tag codes are likely to make Studio crash/erroneous during opening of Word document in Studio, and you need to replace with another remarkable character e.g. _, X, ++, @ etc.

2. The Word file after such replacements of special characters are opened into Studio as a normal process, not in a sudden conversion. The resulting file format is SDLXLIFF for the normal translation steps.
Soonthon Lupkitaro


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using files created in Wordfast Classic in Trados

Advanced search







SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search