Off topic: Amnesty?
Thread poster: Jaroslaw Michalak

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:43
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Aug 24, 2010

I have just received an email from SDL titled "Upgrade Amnesty"... Oh, my!

Your honor, I honestly swear I had no idea that not upgrading to the latest Trados is a crime!

P.S. If that was not clueless enough, the link provided with that great opportunity lists prices higher than what I have seen before... I think I'll pass, in fact I am looking forward to my future life as an upgrade fugitive - it sounds so romantic!

Direct link

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:43
Dutch to English
+ ...
My thoughts exactly Aug 24, 2010

Just received it too. Now I know I should be grateful to have received a pardon but my initial response was that they can stick it where the sun don't shine.

Honestly, the arrogance of these clowns ...

Direct link

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Not that easy... Aug 24, 2010

Well, I have second thoughts already!

I've just imagined the scene...

The quiet of my cozy house gets abruptly broken at 4.00 AM by loud banging on the door... One can hear them shouting: "Open up! Open up, you open-format, backward-compatible, legacy-version scum!" The kid is crying, my wife whispering frantically: "Flee! Run for your life! It's the Software Providers!"

Direct link

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Amnesty", a clear marketing mistake Aug 24, 2010

Since Trados licenses are perpetual as far as I am aware, the term "amnesty" is incorrect from a technical point of view. There is nothing wrong with keeping something we have paid for, and at a high price it was.

From the marketing point of view, maybe a term that would have triggered a better response could had been "Loyalty Upgrade". That would have tickled my ego and might have worked!

[Edited at 2010-08-24 19:36 GMT]

Direct link

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
I am missing a "Like" button on Proz form postings! Aug 25, 2010

Great postings, Jabberwock!

Direct link

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: "Clowns", "crap" etc. are definitely not the words to be used in the discussion.

Monique Simmer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Just another reason not to bother with Trados at all Aug 25, 2010

I refused to use Trados for many years because it was incredibly tedious and cumbersome to use, hard on my eyes, and full of bugs (yes, I tried it and dumped it again). Several years later I bit the bullet and tried a later version, which was no better, and found out that the support was non-existent and that the "customer service" staff were either incredibly arrogant or incompetent or both - anything but helpful. This contrasted starkly with my experiences with DV and more recently with MemoQ - both of which have their occasional minor problems, but are easy to use and ergonomically friendly. Moreover, the support has been fantastic - since Emilio died, DV support has not been so hot, but these days I use MemoQ more anyway. And I can produce Trados-compatible files with both systems. DV and MemoQ have been and still are much better value for money than Trados, and I see no reason to revise my poor opinion of the last-named software or their customer "support", let alone their marketing.

Why anybody would want to work with Trados is beyond me. Amnesty? They ought to be paying us for putting up with their rubbish!

Direct link

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
And to add insult to injury ... Aug 25, 2010

I've just received the same trash again through Proz.com advertising. Nice one.

Direct link

Piotr Rypalski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
All your posts above = Aug 25, 2010

my thougths exactly! I simply felt offended when I received this advert (twice). Well, I understand that in our demanding world you MUST be original, if not a bit provocative, to efficiently access your customers, but there are some limits of association (I mean comparing your potential buyers to criminals) and above all, sectors that simply don't require such "Benetonesque" practices.

In brief, the advert made me rather less willing to invest in the new Trados.

Best,
Piotr

Direct link

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
German to English
And why send it to me Aug 25, 2010

as I am already using Studio?

Direct link

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Amnesty?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search