JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:08
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Aug 25, 2010

Hi all,

I have a large job at the moment with which Studio 2009 is coping admirably. However, it's not behaving as expected as regards certain numbers.

For example, the original figure in the source language might be "0160.00" (It's a reference number.)

Naturally, I want this number just transferred into the target language. But what I actually get - with one exception - is "0160". It drops the remaining two zeros.

The exception is when the original figure is "030.00", when it works! For some reason "030.00" is the only one of these numbers - of which there are many - that appears in the translation results window.

I have tried updating project and main translation memories with the files I have already processed, but to no avail. I also wondered if it could be to do with the overall settings of my PC, so I have altered the way that it shows decimal figures, but that hasn't helped either.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can try next?

Thanks in advance.

Jane

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It is a problem indeed Aug 25, 2010

You can deal with number-only segments using regex for showing only such segments.
For example ^\d+\d+$ will show only number segments like 100.000, 56.5 or similar.
There is unfortunately no real good way to deal with numbers like those.
What I do in such situation is indeed filtering all number segments and dealing extra with them.
Sorry for not being able to give you a better hint.

JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Regex Aug 25, 2010

Thanks for the suggestion, Jerzy - I will try that. If it makes it a little easier to deal with, then it will be better than it is now.

I'd love to know what algorithm is used for this particular calculation - it seems strange that the program can cope with other numbers but not these. I assume it's because of the decimal point...

Jane

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Try this... Aug 26, 2010

If you substitute the „decimal points” in the numbers in the source text (before opening in Studio) with a suitable character which is not in the original text, you get, for example, 0160~00 instead of 0160.00. At my settings 0160~00 type numbers go to the target segment unchanged. On completing the translation, they can be converted back with the Replacement function (Replace "~" with ".")

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Context match problem with numbers in Studio 2009

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search