Problems Analysing 2 files in Workbench
Thread poster: Isabel Conde

Isabel Conde  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 25, 2010

I tried to Analyse a PDF in Workbench and it appears a red sign saying "XConvert could not process...and the name of the PDF file". I think I am doing something wrong. I never tried to translate a PDF file, but I imagine Trados can do it.

The other file is a Power Point, I analyzed one successfully, but for the second one, Trados said the program needed to close because it encountered a problem. I sent the Error Report several times, but I have no positive results, yet.

What I should do for both cases.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Isabel

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:08
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Trados 2007 does not support PDF Aug 25, 2010

So you have to convert PDF to something editable (most probably Word) prior to analyzing.
SDL Trados Studio is able to convert PDF on automatic way with usual conversion results, so thus would also be able to analyze the PDF. However, this process is exactly as each other automated PDF conversion and cannot be trusted 100%.
As for the problem with PPT, I cannot give you any information as I do not own a crystall ball.
From what you write I can only suggest trying to save PPT in another format (ie. PPT 2007 instead of 2003) and try again. Or try to convert PPT to TTX prior to analyse and look for results - maybe you will get a hint what's wrong with the file.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Workbench cannot process PDF files Aug 25, 2010

You first need to extract the text from your PDF file before you can analyze and translate it.
Best is to first ask your client whether he cannot provide you an editable document as working on PDFs should always be the last resort, only if you really cannot get an editable document.

Walter

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Walter and Jerzy Aug 25, 2010

In the meantime I didn't receive your answers, I tried converting the PDF to a Word document and I could analyze it in that way. Now, I am thinking that probably I could translate that in Word and convert it back to PDF, but maybe that's what Jerzy is saying that it cannot be trusted 100%. Probably both of you are suggesting that there will be layout differences during conversions. Is that right?

As for the Power Point, how I can convert it to a TTX file?

Thank you very much, once again.

Best regards,

Isabel

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Do not convert the target back to PDF Aug 25, 2010

To 1: translate the WORD document you extracted from the PDF and deliver it as such to your client because he will need to do some layout work on it anyway. If you give him a PDF, you are not going to render him a service at all.

To 2: Trados 2007 can process PowerPoint documents directly. Simply open the PPT file in Tag Editor. It will be converted to TTX and you can translate it. At the end deliver the bilingual TTX and/or the cleaned PowerPoint file to your client.

Walter

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I got it! Aug 25, 2010

Hi Walter,

Good thing what you say about the PDF, I am going to do it that way.

As for the PPT, I was just looking for the analyze process to find out the amount of words, repetitions, etc. I found the way to convert it to a PDF and then to a Word file to analyze it. I could successfully analyze it and know the amount of words. Now I will proceed to translate it in TagEditor. That part, I know how.

Thank you very much for your input.icon_smile.gif

Best regards,

Isabel

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Why so complicated? Aug 25, 2010

As for the PPT, I was just looking for the analyze process to find out the amount of words, repetitions, etc. I found the way to convert it to a PDF and then to a Word file to analyze it.

You could have analyzed the PPT directly in Workbench. Go to Tools - Analyse and open the PPT file. That's it! No conversion needed at all!

Walter

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know! Aug 25, 2010

But in the case of that specific PPT, I couldn't. That's why I contact you in the first place. Read my first message, the first PPT that I analyze had no problems, but the second one, gave me an error report over and over.

Best regards,

Isabel

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:08
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
I have no idea Aug 25, 2010

Isabel Conde wrote:
But in the case of that specific PPT, I couldn't. That's why I contact you in the first place. Read my first message, the first PPT that I analyze had no problems, but the second one, gave me an error report over and over.

You did not give much information why PPT file gives errors. If error is specific to WorkBench, the PPT file may contain complicated text boxes, graphics, weird codes, special font attributes etc.. Try converting to TTX file before analyzing as suggested above.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well... I did not have idea, either Aug 25, 2010

Neither I knew what information I had to give. The thing is that it is done, I already know how many words it has.

Thank you, Soothon.

Best regards,

Isabel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems Analysing 2 files in Workbench

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search