Suggested translation isn't inserted in the text
Thread poster: Paula Cardoso

Paula Cardoso  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 25, 2010

I received a TM which was an .mdb extension. Since I didn't know how to convert it to be used in Trados, I asked the client to do it.
The thing is that the suggested translations appear in the Workbench window, but not in the text, which means I have to insert everything manually, including 100% matches.
Has it ever happened to anyone? Any idea on what seems to be wrong and how to correct it? I don't know which program the client used to convert the file, I don't know if it could be related.

Thank you in advance!

Paula

[Edited at 2010-08-25 14:59 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:10
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you using Open/Get command Aug 25, 2010

or just Open?
Otherwise I would not know about any other option stopping Workbench from inserting a match.
Or do segments contain target text already (or even the copied source)? WB will insert a match only in an completly empty segment.

Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The segment copies the source Aug 25, 2010

Indeed, it copies the source text. Why is it? I'm not a very advanced Trados user and this really is an urgent job. Is there any way I can revert this situation?

Thank you for your reply!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Translation memory options setting Aug 25, 2010

In Workbench go to Options, open Translation memory options and deselect "copy source on no match".
However, if a match is found WB should not copy the source, so it looks like would you have an already presegmented file. If so, this is in fact a bit more problematic.
There are macros for removing the "duplicated source", but for the momet I can't tell where to find 'em.

Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not selected Aug 25, 2010

That's one of the first things I checked and it is not selected, so it really seems predefined...
Thank you, Jerzy!

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Shortcut Alt + Shift + Insert for 100% matches Aug 25, 2010

In case you are still working on this job and still typing in all 100% matches manually, I would just tell you about the shortcut for inserting 100% matches found in the TM but not inserted automatically.

Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wonderful tip! Aug 25, 2010

Yes, I'm still on this job and would be forever if it weren't for your wonderful tip!
Thank you, PCovs! I'm forever gratefulicon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggested translation isn't inserted in the text

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search