Thread poster: Paula Cardoso
Paula Cardoso
Paula Cardoso  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 25, 2010

I received a TM which was an .mdb extension. Since I didn't know how to convert it to be used in Trados, I asked the client to do it.
The thing is that the suggested translations appear in the Workbench window, but not in the text, which means I have to insert everything manually, including 100% matches.
Has it ever happened to anyone? Any idea on what seems to be wrong and how to correct it? I don't know which program the client used to convert the file, I don't know if it could be
... See more
I received a TM which was an .mdb extension. Since I didn't know how to convert it to be used in Trados, I asked the client to do it.
The thing is that the suggested translations appear in the Workbench window, but not in the text, which means I have to insert everything manually, including 100% matches.
Has it ever happened to anyone? Any idea on what seems to be wrong and how to correct it? I don't know which program the client used to convert the file, I don't know if it could be related.

Thank you in advance!

Paula

[Edited at 2010-08-25 14:59 GMT]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:56
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you using Open/Get command Aug 25, 2010

or just Open?
Otherwise I would not know about any other option stopping Workbench from inserting a match.
Or do segments contain target text already (or even the copied source)? WB will insert a match only in an completly empty segment.

Paula Cardoso
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The segment copies the source Aug 25, 2010

Indeed, it copies the source text. Why is it? I'm not a very advanced Trados user and this really is an urgent job. Is there any way I can revert this situation?

Thank you for your reply!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Translation memory options setting Aug 25, 2010

In Workbench go to Options, open Translation memory options and deselect "copy source on no match".
However, if a match is found WB should not copy the source, so it looks like would you have an already presegmented file. If so, this is in fact a bit more problematic.
There are macros for removing the "duplicated source", but for the momet I can't tell where to find 'em.

Paula Cardoso
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not selected Aug 25, 2010

That's one of the first things I checked and it is not selected, so it really seems predefined...
Thank you, Jerzy!

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Shortcut Alt + Shift + Insert for 100% matches Aug 25, 2010

In case you are still working on this job and still typing in all 100% matches manually, I would just tell you about the shortcut for inserting 100% matches found in the TM but not inserted automatically.

Paula Cardoso
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wonderful tip! Aug 25, 2010

Yes, I'm still on this job and would be forever if it weren't for your wonderful tip!
Thank you, PCovs! I'm forever grateful

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggested translation isn't inserted in the text

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »