The remote server returned an error: (414) Request-URL Too Large.
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 15:09
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Aug 26, 2010

This is the message that I have been receiving time and again when I try to analyze and/or pretranslate files that are added to an existing project in Studio 2009.

Initially I thought that this could be the result of a directory path that is too long to handle and therefore I moved the file in question to C:\TRAN to shorten it. The error message still appeared.

Your help is appreciated.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 14:09
French to German
+ ...
Any server-based TMs Aug 26, 2010

Do you have any server-based TMs defined in your project settings?

Walter

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
. Aug 26, 2010

Walter, all of my TMs are based on my machine, which is not part of a network. By the way, I have noticed that the same message appears when Google translate considers a segment too long for translation. In that case, I split the segment and then it is translated OK.

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Another remote server Aug 26, 2010

By the way, I have noticed that the same message appears when Google translate considers a segment too long for translation.

Do you mean to say that you have enabled Google as a translation provider in your project? If yes, this acts also like a server-based TM for Studio.

Walter

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Yes, Aug 26, 2010

that is exactly so - Google is enabled. So, Google can be activated for the project (while creating/defining it), but analysis and pretransltion fail every time if Google is present among the TMs listed for the project.

I wish there was some kind of message or other word or warning when initially enabling Google for the project - I have had all my analyses and pretranslations fail for a week - until I figured this out the hard way.icon_frown.gif

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Strange ... Aug 26, 2010

I'll have to check this. I am surprised that enabling Google would cause analyze and pretranslate to fail and never experienced this, but I must confess that I have only enabled Google about once or twice for test purposes.

I'll test this with SP3 to see if it is still a problem.

Walter

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
. Aug 26, 2010

Thank you for your help and consideration, Walter.

xxxOlaf
English to German
Google Translate has 5000 character limit Aug 26, 2010

I don't if there's any connection with this issue, but the Google MT API has a character limit, which is currently 5000 characters and most programs us a specially encoded URL string to query the Google MT engine. Therefore asking Google Translate to translate strings longer than 5000 characters will most likely result in an error message that is passed on to the calling application.

[Edited at 2010-08-26 21:53 GMT]

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Dear Olaf, Aug 27, 2010

that seems to be the issue indeed (I am not sure about the exact number of characters, because even not very long paragraphs retrurn the same error).

Which would also mean that it is a bug of SDL Trados Studio 2009, because it breaks the analyze / pretranslate function.

[Edited at 2010-08-27 07:35 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The remote server returned an error: (414) Request-URL Too Large.

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search