Trados licence
Thread poster: kat1980

kat1980
Local time: 15:40
German to English
+ ...
Aug 26, 2010

Hello there:)

I have my name down to buy the latest TRados 2009 suite. However, I will be investing in a new laptop in 4 mths. Does anyone know if it will be possible to download my Trados to the new laptop aswell? This is my first time buying Trados and as such i am not familiar with how exactly the licences work. Is it just one per computer or per owner?

As a branch-off question, I am also investing in a technical dictional (Ernst Wörterbuch der industriellen Technik) in CD ROM and have the same worry. Will i be able to just transfer it to my future laptop.

Thanks so much for any advice, I really appreciate it.

Kathryn

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:40
French to German
+ ...
The licence is transferrable Aug 27, 2010

Kathryn

I guess you are talking about the Freelance version of SDL Trados Studio 2009 (not Suite). There is no problem to transfer the licence to another PC. To do this, you simply need to return the licence from the computer where it is currently activated. Once you have done this, the licence is available again and you can use it on your new computer.

Problems only arise if you do not have a chance to return the licence for example because your PC crashes or if you forget to do it before wiping the PC.

No problem either with the Brandstetter dictionary, you can install it on a new PC. The only limitation is that you can only have it installed in one place at a time.

Walter

kat1980
Local time: 15:40
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply Aug 27, 2010

Thank you for the information Walter, very helpful. Kathryn

Witold Chocholski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Studio 2009 licence is valid on 2 machines Aug 27, 2010

Walter is right. What's more, I use Trados 2009 and my licence allows the installation on 2 machines.

There's no need to return the licence back and forth when you want to work on 2 different machines.

If you want to have an emergency machine (in case one crashes unexpectedly in the middle of an important project — which is usually the case), that's just a perfect solution. If they offer various types of Freelance Studio 2009 with only one or multiple licences, take the one which can cover at least 2 machines. Saves a lot of time and stress.

Witold

[Zmieniono 2010-08-27 09:27 GMT]

Nicole Blanc  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Configuration to upgrade licence to Trados SDL 2009 FreelancePlus Aug 30, 2010

Hello,

I need some help about the following issue:

- I've just bought a new Dell PC whose configuration is as follows: operating system Windows XP + Word/Excel... 2007. I am installing now this desktop.

I've been proposed a quote from SDL to upgrade from my current licence bought in 1998 (Trados Freelance 7.0) - if I DO believe SDL, I should buy the new upgrade licence SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus (special offer: € 415.- until the 31st of August). I try to get technical details from SDL but nobody answers..... and the manager I was in contact with is on holiday!

Before I buy, could you tell me if the above new upgrade licence can work perfectly within such a configuration, ie. operating system Windows XP + Word/Excel/PPT 2007. Dell was to provide me with a machine equipped with Windows 7/Seven as an operating system, they made a mistake (however, they promise I will be able to upgrade to Windows 7 (operating system) any time I wish in the future).

It's pretty urgent ... many thanks in advance for your kind help! Nicole

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Should work fine Aug 30, 2010

Before I buy, could you tell me if the above new upgrade licence can work perfectly within such a configuration, ie. operating system Windows XP + Word/Excel/PPT 2007.

Yes, Studio 2009 will run perfectly with this configuration.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados licence

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search