TM and termbase from Studio SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP2 (Plus) to Trados 2007 Freelance i. e. SDLX
Thread poster: Vipec

Vipec  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:02
German to Italian
+ ...
Aug 26, 2010

Hello everybody,

I could convert and import in Trados Studio 2009 my Across TMs and termbase.
I have now Studio Trados 2009 TM as a sdltm-file extension and Studio Trados 2009 termbase as sdltb-file extension.
I own Studio Trados 2009 Suite which contains Trados 2007 Freelance, i. e. SDL Trados 2007, and SDLX.
I tried to import in SDL Trados 2007 and SDLX TMs and termbase from Trados 2009 but they aren't recognised.
I tried to rename Trados 2009 TM file extension (sdltm ) in the extension of Trados 2007 (*tmw) and Trados 2009 termbase file extension (sdltb) in the extension of Trados 2007 (.mdb) but it didn't work.

Is there a way to import Trados 2009 TM and termbase both in Trados 2007 Freelance (i. e. SDL Trados 2007) and in SDLX?
Please note, that Trados 2007 Freelance, i. e. SDL Trados 2007, seems not to have SDL Multi Term 2007, since when I click on it in the start view pane I get the message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object", which I get only regarding MultiTerm: In fact all the other symbols of the start view pane work if they're clicked on.
Furthermore, I cannot find MutiTerm 2007 in my programme list (I find of course MultiTerm 2009icon_smile.gif

Is there a way to convert/import, i. e. use TM and termbase from Studio Trados 2009 in Trados 2007 Freelance, i. e. SDL Trados 2007, and SDLX?

Cheers and thank you in advance for who he can help me somehow
Vittorio

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Use the exchange formats Aug 26, 2010

I tried to import in SDL Trados 2007 and SDLX TMs and termbase from Trados 2009 but they aren't recognised.
I tried to rename Trados 2009 TM file extension (sdltm ) in the extension of Trados 2007 (*tmw) and Trados 2009 termbase file extension (sdltb) in the extension of Trados 2007 (.mdb) but it didn't work.

Is there a way to import Trados 2009 TM and termbase both in Trados 2007 Freelance (i. e. SDL Trados 2007) and in SDLX?

You cannot transfer TMs as such from 2007 to 2009 and vice-versa because the file format has completely changed.

Studio 2009 contains a "TM Upgrade Wizard", which allows you to convert your 2007 TMs to the 2009 format (.sdltm).
If you want to import content from a 2009 TM into a 2007 TM, use the export function to export the content in TMX format (not TTX) and import this in the other TM. This works in both directions BTW.

Furthermore, I cannot find MutiTerm 2007 in my programme list (I find of course MultiTerm 2009icon_smile.gif

If you installed Studio 2009 and Multiterm 2009, the best is to use Multiterm 2009 both with Studio 2009 and with Workbench 2007. The term recognition works fine with MT 2009 from both applications.

Walter

Vipec  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
many thanks - how to use TermBase 2009 Aug 26, 2010

Hello Walter,

thank you very much for your answer.
About the suggestion regarding the TM is very clear to me and I'll try doing that.

As to the tembase, how does it work to use MT 2009 with Workbench 2007?

Regards
Vittorio

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Same as with MT 2007 Aug 26, 2010

Exactly the same way as with MT 2007. In the 'Term Recognition Options' in Workbench, select 'Multiterm 8" for the Multiterm version and then open the termbase you want.

It would be a good idea to open your 2007 termbase once in Multiterm 2009 before, so that it does get converted to the new format and you are sure it works fine in MT 2009.

Walter

Vipec  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I've no experience with SDL Trados 2007 Aug 26, 2010

Hi Walter!

I've to state first to have no experience so far with Workbench and TagEditor (SDL Trados 2007) but only with Studio Trados 2009.

After saying that

Walter Blaser wrote:

Exactly the same way as with MT 2007. In the 'Term Recognition Options' in Workbench, select 'Multiterm 8" for the Multiterm version and then open the termbase you want.

It would be a good idea to open your 2007 termbase once in Multiterm 2009 before, so that it does get converted to the new format and you are sure it works fine in MT 2009.

Walter

What I want is to use SDL Trados Studio 2009 termbase in SDL Trados 2007. I don't want to create a new termbase with SDL Trados 2007.
If I select 'Multiterm 8" and open for example my SDL Trados Studio 2009 termbase, how do I use it with Workbench?

Moreover, if I start with a termbase from SDL Trados Studio 2009 which I want to use in Workbench, why do you write:
"It would be a good idea to open your 2007 termbase once in Multiterm 2009 before, so that it does get converted to the new format and you are sure it works fine in MT 2009."
The termbase originates already from SDL Trados Studio 2009.

I cannot find neither in Workbench nor in TagEditor the possibility to open a source text in order to translate it. I can only find the possibility to open a new TM or a package. But I've no package to open. I wish only start translating a new source text of an any format and upload an existing TM and termbase coming from SDL Trados Studio 2009.

In SDL Trados Studio 2009 I open any new document (through Open Document on the SDL Trados Studio 2009 toolbar on the top of the application or directly from Start>Open Document), I upload a TM and a termbase (or I start creating a new TM and termbase and so forth).
I'm not able doing that either in Workbench nor in TagEditor.
How can I start with Workbench or TagEditor opening a source text to be translated and uploading an existing TM and termbase created with SDL Trados Studio 2009?

Sorry but I'm really confused (-: with SDL Trados 2007 although I've no problem using SDL Trados Studio 2009icon_smile.gif

Cheers
Vittorio

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Why do you still want to use 2007 in parallel Aug 26, 2010

I've to state first to have no experience so far with Workbench and TagEditor (SDL Trados 2007) but only with Studio Trados 2009.

After reading this, my first question is: Why do you want to work in the 2007 version at all? If you did not work with the 2007 version before and you now already gained experience with Studio 2009, why don't you simply stick to Studio? It allows you to do everything you can do in 2007 and even more, and more comfortably.

What I want is to use SDL Trados Studio 2009 termbase in SDL Trados 2007. I don't want to create a new termbase with SDL Trados 2007.

I never said that you need to create two termbases in two different formats. I suggested that you convert your termbase because I did not know that you had created it with MT 2009. If your termbase is already in 2009 format, you do not need to convert it, just use it. You can use the same termbase both from Studio as from Tag Editor and Word (via Workbench for the latter two).

If I select 'Multiterm 8" and open for example my SDL Trados Studio 2009 termbase, how do I use it with Workbench?

This is where you define which termbase(s) you want to use. The accesses to the termbase are made either from Tag Editor or from Word.

How can I start with Workbench or TagEditor opening a source text to be translated and uploading an existing TM and termbase created with SDL Trados Studio 2009?

Coming back to my introductory question, I think that there is no need to that you learn all the basics of the 2007 version now that you already work with Studio. Still, in short: in Tag Editor and in Studio, you open the source document that you want to translate, basically the same as in Studio. The main difference is that the choice of the TM and termbase(s) to be used is not made within TE or Word, but in Workbench. Workbench is not a translation tool, it is the interface program between the editors (TE and Word) and the TM/termbases. This also explains why you need to launch Workbench first, before you open the document in TE or Word for translation.

Walter

Vipec  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Walter! I finally think to have understood SDL Studio 2007! Aug 27, 2010

Hello Walter!

After reading this, my first question is: Why do you want to work in the 2007 version at all? If you did not work with the 2007 version before and you now already gained experience with Studio 2009, why don't you simply stick to Studio? It allows you to do everything you can do in 2007 and even more, and more comfortably.

Of course you're right and I basically agree with you but I previously worked only with Across but some clients wanted me to use SDL Trados 2007. Now there are some clients who always own only SDL Trados 2007 and not SDL Trados Studio 2009!
Furthermore there are always in PROZcom job offers with TagEditor I cannot apply toicon_smile.gif

Through these 2 clear comments of yours:

I never said that you need to create two termbases in two different formats. I suggested that you convert your termbase because I did not know that you had created it with MT 2009. If your termbase is already in 2009 format, you do not need to convert it, just use it. You can use the same termbase both from Studio as from Tag Editor and Word (via Workbench for the latter two).

Still, in short: in Tag Editor and in Studio, you open the source document that you want to translate, basically the same as in Studio. The main difference is that the choice of the TM and termbase(s) to be used is not made within TE or Word, but in Workbench. Workbench is not a translation tool, it is the interface program between the editors (TE and Word) and the TM/termbases. This also explains why you need to launch Workbench first, before you open the document in TE or Word for translation.

I finally think to have basically understood how SDL Trados 2007 works. Now I've only to use TM Upgrade Wizard in order to convert and then doing the import in SDL Trados 2007. Also your explanation concerning how to use SDL Trados Studio 2009 termbase in SDL Trados 2007 through the workbench is now very clear to me.

Thank you a lot for your help, Walter.
It's nice to meet on-line such nich and competent CAT-tools users like you, who're even ready to spend their time helping inexpert users like meicon_redface.gif

Cheers and once again my best thanks
Vittorio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM and termbase from Studio SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP2 (Plus) to Trados 2007 Freelance i. e. SDLX

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search