Trados 2009 - can't save my translation, missing filters.
Thread poster: Andreas Majetic
Andreas Majetic
Andreas Majetic  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
Aug 26, 2010

Hi,

I opened a 2007 .ttx file in Trados 2009 and translated some. I could save in the same format initially. After translating 20% I could no longer save in .ttx and was given an error message. My save file was corrupted as well. When I'm trying to start over I can't open the .ttx file but since I also saved in .sdlxliff I could go on translating in that filetype. So i finished the translation of ~6000 words and saved in .sdlxliff. Problem is I need to save in the original filetype.
... See more
Hi,

I opened a 2007 .ttx file in Trados 2009 and translated some. I could save in the same format initially. After translating 20% I could no longer save in .ttx and was given an error message. My save file was corrupted as well. When I'm trying to start over I can't open the .ttx file but since I also saved in .sdlxliff I could go on translating in that filetype. So i finished the translation of ~6000 words and saved in .sdlxliff. Problem is I need to save in the original filetype.

So I tried save target as original file but got this errormessage:

Failed to save target content: SDL Trados 2007 is not installed.
Trados 2007 Filter Definition file not found: Word2007_1_0_0_0.xml

Well, after reading a thread in this forum I checked my filters in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SDL International\Filters and there are NO filters at all, only the file PluginFileFilterDefinitions.xml. Strange thing is, in this file Word2007_1_0_0_0.xml, as well as many other filters, are listed. But they are not in the folder where they are supposed to be.

So to sum it up, I think I need those filters. Word2007_1_0_0_0.xml and, well, preferably all of them. I don't know if it will work by putting the filters in the filter folder, but I'm pretty sure there should be filters there for it to work at all.

So, in conclusion, is there any one who is willing to send me some filters, primarily Word2007_1_0_0_0.xml so I can test if that works?

Err... i got the files and that particular error message disappeared but it still says I need Trados 2007, which is ridiculous because you shouldn't need that...

[Edited at 2010-08-26 17:08 GMT]
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 06:05
French to German
+ ...
Try to save target from preview Aug 26, 2010

If I understand you well, you have been able to finish the translation in Studio, but you cannot save as target, which in your case means Word.

So, the first question is: why can't you save as target? I am not sure that this is a problem of missing filter definitions, so the first thing to do is exclude that it is a tagging error.

To do this, I suggest that you try to do a preview? Does this work?

If not, run a Verify and check and correct any errors, whic
... See more
If I understand you well, you have been able to finish the translation in Studio, but you cannot save as target, which in your case means Word.

So, the first question is: why can't you save as target? I am not sure that this is a problem of missing filter definitions, so the first thing to do is exclude that it is a tagging error.

To do this, I suggest that you try to do a preview? Does this work?

If not, run a Verify and check and correct any errors, which are revealed?

If you still cannot preview the file after having corrected the errors, try a preview of the source. This will tell you whether the error has been induced by the translation or is inherent to the source.

If the preview works, save the previewed file form within Word and you'll have your target and don't need to bother why the 'Save as target' does not work.

Since you already have your document open in Studio and you don't need TTX at the end, I would not bother at all about 2007 and its potentially missing filter definitions, but try to solve the problem in Studio.

Good luck!

Walter
Collapse

Andreas Majetic
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
It doesn't work Aug 26, 2010

Thanks for the tips Walter. Well, I tried to preview in both target and source but neither work. Error, you don't have Trados 2007. The verification was 100% green so no translation errors.

I can't even open the .ttx file. Strange thing is I could initially, both save and open ttx-files, but it all went to *** when I tried to save as target that one time. The source is a PDF by the way.

I used Swordfish to convert the .sdlxliff file to .ttx so hopefully that works out f
... See more
Thanks for the tips Walter. Well, I tried to preview in both target and source but neither work. Error, you don't have Trados 2007. The verification was 100% green so no translation errors.

I can't even open the .ttx file. Strange thing is I could initially, both save and open ttx-files, but it all went to *** when I tried to save as target that one time. The source is a PDF by the way.

I used Swordfish to convert the .sdlxliff file to .ttx so hopefully that works out for a temporary solution. But, the converted .ttx was like 8 times smaller than the original so I don't know if that's normal or not.
Collapse

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:05
English to Spanish
Optimized TTX Aug 26, 2010

Code_Chronic wrote:
I used Swordfish to convert the .sdlxliff file to .ttx so hopefully that works out for a temporary solution. But, the converted .ttx was like 8 times smaller than the original so I don't know if that's normal or not.

Hi,

Swordfish generates optimized TTX files. It removes a lot of garbage that you can find in those generated by TagEditor from similar sources. It is normal to have smaller TTX.

After translating the TTX, you will be able to import those translations into the SDLXLIFF file. Don't merge or split segments and all will be fine.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 06:05
French to German
+ ...
PDF can be problematic Aug 26, 2010

The source is a PDF by the way.

This might also explain why you have these problems. And the fact that you cannot even preview the source document clearly shows that the error has not been introduced by the translation. Word files generated from a PDF are usually very heavily formatted, especially if the extract option was to retain as much formatting as possible. Do you have access to the source from which the TTX was created? Either the PDF itself or the Word.

Let's hope that the Swordfish conversion got rid of the formatting mess and that you can now save as target.

Walter

Andreas Majetic
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Not quite sure Aug 26, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

This might also explain why you have these problems. And the fact that you cannot even preview the source document clearly shows that the error has not been introduced by the translation. Word files generated from a PDF are usually very heavily formatted, especially if the extract option was to retain as much formatting as possible. Do you have access to the source from which the TTX was created? Either the PDF itself or the Word.

Let's hope that the Swordfish conversion got rid of the formatting mess and that you can now save as target.

Walter

I'm not sure I follow you fully. Word files generated from a PDF? The source document is a PDF-manual which I have access to and can open. There are no word docs. as far as I know. I opened the TTX based on the PDF and saved in SDLXLIFF when I couldn't save in TTX anymore (god knows why). And now I want to save in TTX again. Which i did with Swordfish.

But as you say, the translation probably isn't the culprit.

Hi,

Swordfish generates optimized TTX files. It removes a lot of garbage that you can find in those generated by TagEditor from similar sources. It is normal to have smaller TTX.

After translating the TTX, you will be able to import those translations into the SDLXLIFF file. Don't merge or split segments and all will be fine.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Ah, good. Then the size should be normal.

However, I don't understand that last bit. The translation was done in SDLXLIFF, and then I converted to TTX. So that TTX-file should be a TTX-file of what I translated in SDLXLIFF earlier, right? So no need to import anything into the SDLXLIFF-file or am I missing something?

The client uses the old Trados so he needs the TTX-file. But I could only translate and save in SDLXLIFF.

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
Generating target depends on Studio 2009 Aug 26, 2010

Hi,

Swordfish generates TTX from SDLXLIFF and then creates a translated SDLXLIFF from the translated TTX.

You still need Studio 2009 to save the SDLXLIFF file in target format.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Andreas Majetic
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Hmmm? Aug 26, 2010

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

But the target format is TTX so that's exactly what I couldn't do in the first place.

I saved the translated SDLXLIFF file and converted in Swordfish to XLIFF. Then I exported in Swordfish XLIFF to TTX. So you are saying that's not enough? I can't send this file to the client for him to open with Trados 2007 and it will be a translated TTX file?

Cause i can't open the TTX file I generated in Swordfish in Studio.

Edit nr 3: When I save the SDLXLIFF file via save target as TTX right now it seems to be working (but I can't open the file to check), but there is a warning after the save. It says the semi-WYSIWYG formatting won't be applied to the TTX file. but it will be fully functional. Is that bad or manageable?

[Edited at 2010-08-26 23:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-27 00:27 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-27 00:41 GMT]

Rodolfo Raya
English to Spanish
TTX and Studio Aug 27, 2010

Code_Chronic wrote:

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

But the target format is TTX so that's exactly what I couldn't do in the first place.

I saved the translated SDLXLIFF file and converted in Swordfish to XLIFF. Then I exported in Swordfish XLIFF to TTX. So you are saying that's not enough? I can't send this file to the client for him to open with Trados 2007 and it will be a translated TTX file?

Your client can open the TTX file in TagEditor, but will not be able to generate a translated .doc file from it. The source of the TTX you are sending is an SDLXLIFF file, not a .doc file.

Edit nr 3: When I save the SDLXLIFF file via save target as TTX right now it seems to be working (but I can't open the file to check), but there is a warning after the save. It says the semi-WYSIWYG formatting won't be applied to the TTX file. but it will be fully functional. Is that bad or manageable?

Studio can open and edit the file but cannot do a preview (it does not know how). That's OK, you don't need the preview.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Andreas Majetic
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Oh so.. Aug 27, 2010

Rodolfo Raya wrote:

Your client can open the TTX file in TagEditor, but will not be able to generate a translated .doc file from it. The source of the TTX you are sending is an SDLXLIFF file, not a .doc file.

Aha, so he won't be able to make a PDF of it either. That's probably not so good.

Although, I guess he could copy all the tags (all the translated words), directly into his original TTX, where the source is TTX and he can save as TTX?

Studio can open and edit the file but cannot do a preview (it does not know how). That's OK, you don't need the preview.

Alright, that should do it then. Thanks a lot for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 - can't save my translation, missing filters.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »