PowerPoint with TagEditor
Thread poster: Beatriz Rodeiro

Beatriz Rodeiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 26, 2010

Hello,

I am translating a PowerPoint presentation using TagEditor. In some slides the text is divided into columns and Trados has separated the text line by line, thus making it very hard to follow. Is there a way to change the TUs or segments so I don't have to check the source file every five seconds?? I have already used the Shrink/Expand segment command but it's not very helpful.

I don't know if I have explained myself properly but I would appreciate any help as I'm going nuts whith this!!

Regards,

Beatriz

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:08
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
T-Windows for clipboard Aug 27, 2010

Beatriz Rodeiro wrote:
I am translating a PowerPoint presentation using TagEditor. In some slides the text is divided into columns and Trados has separated the text line by line, thus making it very hard to follow. Is there a way to change the TUs or segments so I don't have to check the source file every five seconds?? I have already used the Shrink/Expand segment command but it's not very helpful.
Beatriz

I use the software above [SDL Trados 2007 and older] frequently in special situations like this. It has interface as you like e.g. by line or by column. Another method is use of SDLX to set segmentation rule by column or by row e.g. in Excel file. I am not sure this will make you work better or not.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Beatriz Rodeiro  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sort by column Aug 27, 2010

Thank you very much for your reply, Soonthon, but I have Trados 7 so I guess this feature is not available, is it?

Beatriz

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:08
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
No Aug 27, 2010

Beatriz Rodeiro wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply, Soonthon, but I have Trados 7 so I guess this feature is not available, is it?

Beatriz

Trados 7's TagEditor to translate PowerPoint/Excel file cannot select segmentation rule by column or line setting [I seek and never find]. By the way, SDL Edit (*.itd format) is good since I can join and split segments as I like. For carriage return code (paragraph mark, a hidden character) that prevent segment joining, I replace it entirely with space code, a special character, before opening in Trados TagEditor 7 or SDL
Edit to allow free joining/splitting of segments.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

[Edited at 2010-08-27 02:57 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simple! Aug 27, 2010

When you open your Powerpoint file in TagEditor, you will see a tag (I think it is <BR>) exactly in the point where the line is broken. Immediately below, the next chunk appears. If you delete the manual line break (which is not visible, but is there) and delete the BR tag, you will get a full line. Do so as many times as needed for a paragraph.

When you store the PPT file again from TagEditor, the lines will be of course too long, and you can add manual line breaks as appropriate so that it all looks nice.

I hope this helps!

[Edited at 2010-08-27 05:17 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PowerPoint with TagEditor

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search