How to install SDL Trados 2009 Freelance SP 2 in a multiboot system?
Thread poster: Eberhard Nietzer

Eberhard Nietzer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:32
English to German
+ ...
Aug 27, 2010

My computer has a multiboot system, I can choose between Windows XP and Windows 7.
I have installed SDL Trados 2009 Freelance under Windows XP.
Last week I downloaded the SP 2 file and have installed it under Windows 7.
When I try to run the program I get the error message "valid license required".
The version I had installed under Windows XP is still working.
I even tried to buy the additional license for 24 EUR, but the system did not let me buy it.
So how can I install the SP 2 version under Windows 7?

Thank you for reading my post,

Eberhard Nietzer

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You need an extra licence Aug 27, 2010

A multi-boot environment contains several partitions, each of them having an operating system. If you install a software application in both partitions, it is the same as if you had installed it on two computers (the only difference is that it is one physical machine).

Therefore you need two licences. If you own the Freelance Plus, you are entitled to two activations.

Did you try to use the same activation code to activate the second copy?

Does it work? If yes, OK. If it tells you that you have exceeded the max. number of activations, check in your customer account under 'My licences' how many activations you have in total, how many are used and how many are still available.

Walter

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Freelance Plus Aug 27, 2010

Thank you for your answer.
I had tried to purchase the Freelance Plus upgrade but the purchase was denied by the system.
Is there another way to purchase the upgrade to Freelance Plus?

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Did you go to the store? Aug 27, 2010

What do you mean by "denied"?

I just went to www.translationzone.com, clicked on 'Online Store', selected the first item "Upgrade from Studio 2009 Professional to Studio 2009 Professional Plus" for the cost of 24 euros and find this item in my basket.

Do you get as far. Where does the problem occur and how?

Walter

[Bearbeitet am 2010-08-27 20:16 GMT]

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Freelance Plus Aug 27, 2010

Yes, I went to the store.
I added exactly the same upgrade you described to my basket.
When I wanted to proceed I was told that my license does not let me make that purchase and the upgrade was automatically deleted from my basket by the system.

Eberhard

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Which licence do you have? Aug 28, 2010

Do you already own a Freelance Plus? Did you check as I suggested what your customer account states? Which licence do you have and how many activations does it comprise and how many are already used/available?

If you already own a Plus, it would explain why you cannot buy this add-on.

You also did not tell me what happens if you try to activate the second copy with your key. Did you try that?

Walter

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Version and Available Licenses Aug 28, 2010

Thank you very much for your time.
This is the message I received when trying to buy the Plus version:
"Upgrade from SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance to SDL Trados Studio 2009 Freelance Plus wurde aus Ihrem Warenkorb entfernt, da Sie über keine Lizenzen verfügen, für die ein Upgrade durchgeführt werden kann."
The problem seems to be that I already have a Plus version and no more licenses are available for installation (I am running SDL Trados on my PC and on my laptop).
Buying another license at the regular price is out of the question because I do not need to have SDL Trados installed under both operating systems. And I would not be able to use both licenses at the same time anyway.
When I tried my key to install the program under Windows 7 an error message came up telling me that this license is already used and is not available for this installation.
Does this mean I can never install SDL Trados under Windows 7?
Or can SDL Trados offer me a solution like another license for 24 €?

Eberhard

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
What does the customer center say Aug 28, 2010

When I tried my key to install the program under Windows 7 an error message came up telling me that this license is already used and is not available for this installation.

Did you check what the customer center says about the number of purchased/used/still available licences. Does it say 0 left?
If yes, you effectively have used up all your licences.

Does this mean I can never install SDL Trados under Windows 7?

No, it means that you can only use two licences concurrently. But you can transfer a licence from one PC to another by returning the licence.
You could this way return the license that is currently used in your Windows XP and then use it for Windows 7.

Or can SDL Trados offer me a solution like another license for 24 €?

I am not aware that such an offer exists.

Walter

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Return my License Aug 28, 2010

Thank you for making me aware of this option.
I did not know I can return a license.
So this should solve my problem.

Eberhard

Pirjo Lahtela  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Finnish
+ ...
Studio 2009 Freelance Aug 28, 2010

What do you mean by returning the license. Uninstalling it and then? How can I install the license to my new computer after uninstalling it from the old computer?
I have one license for Studio 2009 Freelance.
Thanks in advance.

Pírjo

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Returning a licence is a function Aug 28, 2010

Uninstall the software without returning the licence is exactly what one should not do! It is for such situations as well as to transfer a licence from on computer to another that you have the function "Return licence".
You'll find it when you click on 'Licence Manager' in the 'Help - About' menu of Studio. In the Licence Manager, you can also see which licence(s) is/are activated, you can return them or also "borrow" them, a useful feature to transfer a licence from a desktop to a notebook for a limited period of time (the advantage is that it is automatically reactivated on the first machine after expiration of the borrow period).

Walter

[Bearbeitet am 2010-08-28 16:04 GMT]

Germany
German to Finnish
+ ...
Next step Aug 28, 2010

Thanks, Walter.

How should I have known it? I'm not that experienced with licenses.
What can I do now? I have uninstalled the Studio 2009 without returning the license. Should I contact the support of SDL? Is there support anyhow anywhere?

Pirjo

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
If you did not reinstall Windows the license should still be there Aug 28, 2010

How should I have known it? I'm not that experienced with licenses.
What can I do now? I have uninstalled the Studio 2009 without returning the license. Should I contact the support of SDL? Is there support anyhow anywhere?

Sorry, I made a mistake when I said you should not uninstall the SW without returning your license. What I meant was reinstall Windows or move the SW to another PC.

Uninstalling only Studio will not remove the license information on your PC. The problem only appears if you install a new version of Windows, if your PC crashes or if you wipe the hard disk.
In your case, you should be able to reinstall Studio and it will find your licence.

Is there support anyhow anywhere?

Support for licensing problems is free. Go to kb.sdl.com and use the Solution Finder. Choose the category "Licensing issues" and click through the wizard until the end. SDL will then contact you.
Support for any other problems or questions requires a PSMA (Product Support and maintenance Agreement). I have explained this quite in detail yesterday on this forum. Have a look here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/178354-error_when_loading_tm_into_studio-page2.html#1570715

Walter

Germany
German to Finnish
+ ...
Thank you Aug 28, 2010

That sounds better...

Pirjo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to install SDL Trados 2009 Freelance SP 2 in a multiboot system?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search