Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:06
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Aug 27, 2010

With Studio still crashing several times a day (is it Mutliterm?) a function I sorely miss is autosave.

One can argue that confirmed segments become part of the TM and even when Studio crashes they are not completely lost, but with longer files and frequent crashes a lot of time is wasted in between saves and manual saves slow down the translation process.

In my opinion autosave should be initiated by default every time a segment is confirmed.

My question: Can Studio 2009 be configured to autosave (say, after each confirmed segment) or has this been overlooked by software engineers?

Your help is appreciated.

[Edited at 2010-08-27 18:54 GMT]

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 13:06
French to German
+ ...
Sorry, Studio does not (yet) have an Autosave feature Aug 27, 2010

On the other hand let me point out that it is extremely unusual that your Studio crashes several times a day. If this happens on your PC, I suggest that you do a thorough health check of your computer.

I have been using Studio for about a year now and the frequency of crashes was something like one or two per week. And this is not only for me, but also for my colleagues who also work with Studio.

In my opinion autosave should be initiated by default every time a segment is confirmed.

Although I support the idea of an Autosave feature, I believe that saving after every segment would unnecessarily slow down the operation.

Walter

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The reason is Studio's file-based approach Aug 27, 2010

Sorry if this is somehow off-topic. I just wanted to mention that unfortunately Studio still has the old file-driven approach: you open, work on, save, and close files all the time, and if anything happens in between, you lose the state of your work and must retranslate with the memory, losing a precious time. This is what happened in Trados 2007 and earlier, and still happens in Studio. To its advantage, at least Studio takes context into account in the retranslation.

I wonder why the designers of Studio did not think about moving to a database-driven system, in which crashes cause no damage at all because the translation is in a database, stored as records that are updated individually, until you wish to make it a bilingual or target file again. This has the advantage that at most you can lose one segment in the event of a crash.

This is how other tools in the market were designed, and Studio should have followed this most sensible approach.

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:06
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Walter. Aug 27, 2010

With my current project (a 30+ pages document) Studio has probably crashed three times in two days which is not too bad. With a file I worked on before this one, it crashed 3-4 times in a row within a period of 5-10 minutes, which was kind of unnerving.

Of course, Windows is always in a state of constant break-downicon_smile.gif, but on my computer almost nothing else crashes - and nothing else crashes as frequently as Studio.

With a 30 page document (which is longer than the usual length of my typical projects) a save takes about a second, so if the files were to be saved after each segment automatically, it would not slow me down as much as it does now, when I have to press a combination of keys to initiate it, or have to recreate the segments after a crash.

It is just an opinion, but until Studio becomes indeed stable (and why not after that?), it makes sense to autosave after each segment with the option to turn the autosave off - if one should feel that autosave takes too much time.

[Edited at 2010-08-27 19:50 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't agree with autosave per segments Aug 27, 2010

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:
It is just an opinion, but until Studio becomes indeed stable (and why not after that?), it makes sense to autosave after each segment with the option to turn the autosave off - if one should feel that autosave takes too much time.

I agree with Walter: saving after each segment (or after 5, or after 10, for that matter) would be pretty time consuming in most files. A 30-page document is probably in the low-size range of the scale. Many of us translate files with thousands of segments, and being stopped for an Autosave would be absurd. What it takes here is quite simply a change of design: from file-based to database-based. That would solve all your problems for good!

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Silly question maybe Aug 29, 2010

Have you installed SP2?

Studio crashes on my computer have been extremely rare (in the range of 1 crash every few weeks or so), beginning with a beta of SP1.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Next release will be even more stable Aug 29, 2010

My current beta is not crashing - nearly at all.
A very stable software, but as usual some settings need to be adapted and one has to pay attention not to install any garbage on his own PC.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there autosave in Studio 2009?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search