Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How do I open a tmw file in SDL Trados 2009 (don't have 2007)?
Thread poster: Hanna Dermes

Hanna Dermes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 22:36
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 27, 2010

I am new to SDL Trados and I'm trying to open a tmw TM in Trados 2009 and get the error message " The translation memory C:\........ is not supported: Trados file-based translation memories cannot be migrated because SDL Trados 2007 is not installed on this machine" Click OK to continue loading the translation memories or click Cancel to stop loading translation memories"
I have never had SDL Trados 2007, but I can't imagine that I would have to have had the older version to be able to open or convert tmw files....
I have the SDL Trados 2009 Starting Edition but I'm using the full trial version right now.

I have tried to search the Trados help menu and the Internet for answers and can only find help on how to open tmw's i Trados 2007.

Does anyone know the easiest way to open or convert a tmw TM? I appreciate the help!!

Addition: after searching for another hour it seems as i would need to have the Trados 2007 to be able to upgrade older TMs. Since I am using the trial version and only have purchased the SDL Starter Edition I can't download the 2007. Are there any ways to convert the tmw file into another format and then open it in Trados 2009? Thanks!

[Edited at 2010-08-28 00:54 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Eduardo García Soñanes
Mexico
Local time: 15:36
English to Spanish
Upgrade the TM in Studio 2009 Aug 28, 2010

Hello Hanna,

Have you tried upgrading the TM in Studio 2009?

Go to Tools > Upgrade Translation Memories... At the windows that appears, select the .tmw file of your TM and follow the onscreen instructions.

Hope this helps
Eduardo

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 04:36
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
TMX format? Aug 28, 2010

Hanna Dermes wrote:

I am new to SDL Trados and I'm trying to open a tmw TM in Trados 2009 and get the error message " The translation memory C:\........ is not supported: Trados file-based translation memories cannot be migrated because SDL Trados 2007 is not installed on this machine" Click OK to continue loading the translation memories or click Cancel to stop loading translation memories"
I have never had SDL Trados 2007, but I can't imagine that I would have to have had the older version to be able to open or convert tmw files....
I have the SDL Trados 2009 Starting Edition but I'm using the full trial version right now.

Addition: after searching for another hour it seems as i would need to have the Trados 2007 to be able to upgrade older TMs. Since I am using the trial version and only have purchased the SDL Starter Edition I can't download the 2007. Are there any ways to convert the tmw file into another format and then open it in Trados 2009? Thanks!

1. TMX format TM is a standard format exchangeable among many CAT tools. I understand that TMW is a TM index file you cannot import to any Trados version without a TMX TM file.

2. TMX format is standard, and a downward compatibility out of older TM is OK. That is, a new version of Trados, including SDL Starter Edition and SDL Trados Studio 2009, can open it. Demo version Trados limits the maximum number of translation units (TU) in TM, however.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am not sure about that. Aug 28, 2010

This is what I found about Trados 2007:
Each Trados TM consists of five different files (*.tmw, *.mdf, *.mtf, *.mwf, *.iix) – all
five files are needed for the TM to function.
A TM can be copied and moved as a set of the above five files, or as one .txt (or
.tmx) file. The .txt (or .tmx) memory file is created by exporting the memory, and it
needs to be imported to an existing TM before use.

Problem is since I don't have the 2007 version I can't go into workbench and export it. I need a way to convert it so that I can open it in 2009, if that is possible.

Thailand
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Website reference Aug 28, 2010

The website below tell how to open Trados 2007 TM in Trados 2009. I had better give link than copying contents to violate copyright etc.

http://localizationlocalisation.wordpress.com/category/trados/sdl-trados-2007/

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 28, 2010

I still believe that it requires that you have the full package 2007+ 2009 to do that from the information I have found so far, but luckily I was able to get a hold of the agency and they said I could create my own new TM for the project. More work for me, but at this point it really doesn't matter.

Thanks for helping me with suggestions Soonthon!

Thailand
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Not too late... Aug 28, 2010

I just hit and hereby add another website: if you want another knowledgebase about Trados 2007 TM repair.

http://deu.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/149845-how_to_extract_data_from_a_corrupt_trados_tm.html

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Aug 28, 2010

but even though that was an interesting posting (it went a little off topic after a while..) they didn't discuss the problem I have. It gave me an idea though, and I might see if I can reach SDL Support and ask them about this. It will be good to know for future projects as well.

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did not see your post until now... Aug 28, 2010

Eduardo García Soñanes wrote:

Hello Hanna,

Go to Tools > Upgrade Translation Memories... At the windows that appears, select the .tmw file of your TM and follow the onscreen instructions.

Hope this helps
Eduardo

Yes, that is what I tried to do when I got the error message. It won't let me do it since I don't have the 2007 version of Trados and I am running the trial full version of 2009 (got the trial when I purchased the started edition).
Thanks!

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You need to upgrade your TMs using the Upgrade Wizard Aug 28, 2010

Hope this helps
Eduardo

Yes, that is what I tried to do when I got the error message. It won't let me do it since I don't have the 2007 version of Trados and I am running the trial full version of 2009 (got the trial when I purchased the started edition).
Thanks!

What Eduardo suggested is exactly what you need to do and it should be obvious as there is a big button labelled "Upgrade Translation Memories" in your toolbar.
If it does not work when you click on it, then it is probably because you have not installed the 2007 version. If you want to upgrade 2007 TMs to 2009 format using this utility, you MUST install both versions - SDL Trados 2007 Suite (build 863) and SDL Trados Studio 2009 - on the same PC. This is also the reason why you receive two licences when purchasing the upgrade, one for 2007 and one fore 2009.

Now, I am confused. If you have not worked previously with the 2007 version, why would you then want to open a TMW file?

Walter

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have already tried the Upgrade Wizard Aug 28, 2010

[quote]Walter Blaser wrote:

Hope this helps
Eduardo

Thanks!

What Eduardo suggested is exactly what you need to do and it should be obvious as there is a big button labelled "Upgrade Translation Memories" in your toolbar.
If it does not work when you click on it, then it is probably because you have not installed the 2007 version. If you want to upgrade 2007 TMs to 2009 format using this utility, you MUST install both versions - SDL Trados 2007 Suite (build 863) and SDL Trados Studio 2009 - on the same PC. This is also the reason why you receive two licences when purchasing the upgrade, one for 2007 and one fore 2009.

Please see my reply to Eduardo above (that you quoted), it explains why this is not an option for me. I did not receive two licenses because I purchased the Starter Edition and got the trial version for a limited time. This is also why I edited the question and asked for a way to convert the tmw file instead.

Now, I am confused. If you have not worked previously with the 2007 version, why would you then want to open a TMW file?

Because the agency sent me a TM in a tmw file for the project.

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
You need the Freelance version of Studio Aug 28, 2010

Hi, Hanna,

You are right.

If you have the Starter edition, you cannot convert TMW files. End of story.

The only way out, as you did, is to ask the agency who sent you the memories to export them to TMX for you. Then you should be able to import them into Studio.

If you have your own TMW files, then you must have a previous version of Trados which you can use to export to TMX and then import into Studio.

There is more information about the features which are included in the SDL web page:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdl-trados-studio-2009-starter/

Check the "Product comparison" tab. It specifically mentions that the option to "Upgrade legacy TM formats" (i.e. import TMW into Studio) is not available in the Starter edition.

Daniel

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Clarified situation Aug 28, 2010

In that case, simply ask your agency to give you a TMX export of the TM and you will be able to import it into a freshly created new 2009 TM (provided you are still within the 30 days where your trial version works as as Professional version because once you converted it to a Starter Edition, you cannot import into a TM anymore).

However there remains the question what your agency wants to get in return. If they still work exclusively with the 2007 version, you'll have to agree on the document formats. The only thing you can give them is SDLXLIFF and final source format. If they want TTX, they'll have to give you the TTX instead of the source.

Also be aware that the limited Starter Edition is mainly geared towards freelancers who work for agencies following the 2009 workflow, so they can open and return project packages they receive from these agencies.

Walter

Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I have already done that.. Aug 28, 2010

I did ask them to send it to me in a TMX but they said they don't have Trados (?) I think they got the TM from another freelance translator who is using 2007.

Previously I have sent them my TM from 2009 in SDLXLIFF and they are okay with that, so after speaking to them we decided that I will just send them my new TM when I'm done.

I do realize that the Starter Edition is limited, but I wanted to try it out before I decide which full version CAT tool to buy.

Thanks for your help!

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Good idea Aug 28, 2010

I do realize that the Starter Edition is limited, but I wanted to try it out before I decide which full version CAT tool to buy

I guess you already know this, but just to make sure: in the first 30 days, you can use the full functionality of the program because it works as a 'Professional" version. It is only after these 30 days that it becomes a Starter Edition (or anything else depending on the license you have).

Walter

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I open a tmw file in SDL Trados 2009 (don't have 2007)?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search