Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
By using Trados 2009, how do you produce uncleaned bilingual doc file?
Thread poster: Japamerican

Japamerican  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:33
Japanese to English
+ ...
Aug 28, 2010

Hello!

Thank you in advance.

I use Trados 2009, and I do know how to produce a cleaned target file by going to

File > Save Target As.

Bt the question still remains: by using Trados 2009, how do you produce uncleaned bilingual doc file?

I went to File, and it doesn't give me an option to save a bilingual doc.

If anyone could help me out, I appreciate it very much.


Thank you!


 

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:33
Member (2004)
German to English
You don't Aug 28, 2010

but you can deliver a tagEditor TTX file if you create one in TagEditor, translate it in Studio, and recreate a TTX file to deliver.

 

Japamerican  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:33
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Gillian Aug 28, 2010

Gillian Searl wrote:

but you can deliver a tagEditor TTX file if you create one in TagEditor, translate it in Studio, and recreate a TTX file to deliver.



Thanks Gillian.

My client specifically wants uncleaned bilingual doc file as well (not TTX), so I am trying to figure this out. Everything was easier with 2007.

So I guess the only way is to use TagEditor?

If anybody else could help me, please let me know.

Thanks!


 

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 00:33
French to German
+ ...
Studio does not support Word bilingual files anymore Aug 28, 2010

Bt the question still remains: by using Trados 2009, how do you produce uncleaned bilingual doc file?


You already have been given the answer: you cannot!

Studio does not support the bilingual Word DOC format any more. This format was previously created when you translated in Word using Workbench to interface to a TM. But this workflow is not supported any more because you cannot translate directly in Word any more. The new workflow consists in opening the source file in a format-independent editor (in this case Studio, previously Tag Editor). Both editors use a different bilingual format (TTX for TE and SDLXLIFF for Studio) and produce a target document in the same format as the source at the end.

In your scenario you have two choices:

1. Convince your client that he should accept another format
2. Do the job in Trados 2007

Walter


 

xxxOlaf
Local time: 00:33
English to German
Try copying form TE to a rtf doc Aug 28, 2010

I don't know about Trados 2009, but in earlier versions it was possible to simply open the file in Tag Editor and copy the file contents to a MS Word doc, because Tag Editor used the RTF as the clipboard format.
However, since this is not a 1:1 conversion, this is not recommended for docs with complex formatting.
It couldn't hurt to give it a try. Just open the bilingual .ttx file in Tag Editor then press CTRL+A and CTRL+C. Open a new MS Word doc and and press CTRL+V to paste the contents into the MS Word doc. If all went well, you should end up with the text of the document in the traditional uncleaned Trados format (source segments marked as hidden text) and can save it as an RTF file.
But as I already mentioned, if you reverse the process you usually don't get the same .ttx file back. Therefore you may want to do some tests. For example, try cleaning the .rtf doc into a blank TM. Also advise the client that they might encounter problems if they use the .rtf doc instead of the .ttx doc.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2010-08-28 08:28 GMT]


 

Japamerican  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:33
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Walter Aug 28, 2010

In your scenario you have two choices:

1. Convince your client that he should accept another format
2. Do the job in Trados 2007


Thank you Walter for letting me know.


 

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:33
French to Polish
+ ...
More solutions :) Aug 28, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

(...)

In your scenario you have two choices:

1. Convince your client that he should accept another format
2. Do the job in Trados 2007

3. Tweak your Word file according to my post in
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/176231-switching_halfway_through_a_translation_from_2009_to_2007.html
4. Use other CAT tool able to handle bilingual RTF/DOC icon_smile.gif

Cheers
GG


 

Japamerican  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:33
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Grzegorz Aug 28, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Walter Blaser wrote:

(...)

In your scenario you have two choices:

1. Convince your client that he should accept another format
2. Do the job in Trados 2007

3. Tweak your Word file according to my post in
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/176231-switching_halfway_through_a_translation_from_2009_to_2007.html
4. Use other CAT tool able to handle bilingual RTF/DOC icon_smile.gif

Cheers
GG




Thank you Grzegorz!


 

Japamerican  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:33
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Olaf! Aug 28, 2010

Thanks Olaf!

 

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:33
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Endless topic? Aug 28, 2010

Many topics these days are about Trados 2009 due to its new file format. I see the following guideline:

"SDLXLIFF is an XML based file format specially developed for use in SDL Trados Studio. It is compliant with version 1.2 of the XLIFF standard. SDLXLIFF stands for SDL XML-based Localization Interchange File Format.
SDLXLIFF files are bilingual files; they contain both the source document text and the translation text.

When you start a new translation in SDL Trados Studio, the content of the source language document is placed in an SDLXLIFF file for translation. The SDLXLIFF file is placed in the same folder as the source language document"
(Source: http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Edit_View/XLIFF_File_Format.htm)
I feel that these statements is enough to convince clients about Doc compatible bilingual format in Trados 2009.

Soonthon Lupkitaro


 

Japamerican  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:33
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Soonthon! Aug 28, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Many topics these days are about Trados 2009 due to its new file format. I see the following guideline:

"SDLXLIFF is an XML based file format specially developed for use in SDL Trados Studio. It is compliant with version 1.2 of the XLIFF standard. SDLXLIFF stands for SDL XML-based Localization Interchange File Format.
SDLXLIFF files are bilingual files; they contain both the source document text and the translation text.

When you start a new translation in SDL Trados Studio, the content of the source language document is placed in an SDLXLIFF file for translation. The SDLXLIFF file is placed in the same folder as the source language document"
(Source: http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL%20Trados%20Studio/client_en/Edit_View/XLIFF_File_Format.htm)
I feel that these statements is enough to convince clients about Doc compatible bilingual format in Trados 2009.

Soonthon Lupkitaro




Thank you Soonthon!

You made the best sense yet.

In your last sentence, did you mean to say that you would want clients to adapt to the SDLXLIFF format of Trados 2009?


 

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:33
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
SDLXLIFF format=bilingual file Aug 28, 2010

Takeru Asakawa wrote:

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:
I feel that these statements is enough to convince clients about Doc compatible bilingual format in Trados 2009.

Soonthon Lupkitaro


In your last sentence, did you mean to say that you would want clients to adapt to the SDLXLIFF format of Trados 2009?

In Proz forum, we have many topics on bilingual file and Trados 2009. This is why I copy the statement with information source instead of showing only link. My last sentence is: many agencies confuse many novice translators to send back bilingual file in *.doc format, and these statement above basically explains what is what. In other words, it is reasonable to send back a SDLXLIFF file of Trados 2009 to clients.

Soonthon Lupkitaro


 

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:33
Member (2004)
English to Polish
No it is not... Aug 28, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

In Proz forum, we have many topics on bilingual file and Trados 2009. This is why I copy the statement with information source instead of showing only link. My last sentence is: many agencies confuse many novice translators to send back bilingual file in *.doc format, and these statement above basically explains what is what. In other words, it is reasonable to send back a SDLXLIFF file of Trados 2009 to clients.


I am afraid you confuse the issue even more...

If the client wants a unclean bilingual doc file, then that is what you should send them, unless you convince them to switch formats. Studio 2009, as it has been noted above, is unable to produce such files.

You might get away with sending the client only the target document or bilingual TTX. The client probably will not be very happy about it, as the TM produced from bilingual doc file might be quite different from the one produced from TTX file.

Unless the client is using Trados 2009 actively in their processes, sending them SDLXLIFF file will be useless. Asking them to switch their production routines because of the translator's software is asking a lot, to put it mildly.

[Edited at 2010-08-28 15:43 GMT]


 

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:33
Member (2004)
German to English
If they absolutely insist on a bilingual word doc Aug 28, 2010

I would translate in Studio (without TTX) into a separate memory. Export the TM as a TMX. Open Workbench, import the TM, then open the Word and run it through the TM. Hopefully it will all be 100% matches. Save bilingual Word doc and deliver.

But before doing that I would try to persuade them to accept a TTX from TagEditor. If they agree: Open word doc in TagEditor, save as a bilingual file. Open the TTX in Studio, translate. Save as TTX and Word doc - deliver both.
Try to persuade them to go for this option - Bilingual word docs are dead, long live Studio
Gillian


 

xxxOlaf
Local time: 00:33
English to German
The customer is always right :-) Aug 28, 2010

Jabberwock wrote:
If the client wants a unclean bilingual doc file, then that is what you should send them, unless you convince them to switch formats. Studio 2009, as it has been noted above, is unable to produce such files.


Exactly. If they want an unclean bilingual doc file then that's what they should get. However, it couldn't hurt to ask them why they want one. Common reasons are:

They want to send the rtf file to reviewer who is not familiar with Trados.They want to be able to print out the translation. They only have a very old version of Trados or a CAT tool other than Trados that can only handle bilingual word docs. In that case, they might be OK with receiving an exported .txt or .tmx 1.4b translation memory.


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

By using Trados 2009, how do you produce uncleaned bilingual doc file?

Advanced search







Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search