Is TagEditor 2007 / 8.0 able to process Word files without installed Word?
Thread poster: Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 06:47
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
Aug 29, 2010

(I assume someone would know so I don't have to uninstall Word to see... )

If I want to open DOC in TagEditor, translate it and save target DOC, do I need Word installed on the PC? Or is TagEditor able to do this even without Word?

Thanks!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:47
English to Thai
+ ...
Word <> TagEditor interaction Aug 29, 2010

To open Doc file in TagEditor, you need no MS Word on your PC. To save the target file as Word file again, you need no MS Word on your PC. But to open the target Doc file on your PC, you need to install Word or Wordpad (already an accessory program in Windows XP etc.) This is very easy to test: Open the Windows Task Manager> Open Doc file or save Doc file in TagEditor. My MS Word is never called to operate during TagEditor operation processes.

By the way, I also us
... See more
To open Doc file in TagEditor, you need no MS Word on your PC. To save the target file as Word file again, you need no MS Word on your PC. But to open the target Doc file on your PC, you need to install Word or Wordpad (already an accessory program in Windows XP etc.) This is very easy to test: Open the Windows Task Manager> Open Doc file or save Doc file in TagEditor. My MS Word is never called to operate during TagEditor operation processes.

By the way, I also use SDLX 2007, and it always demand running of the relevant program to open/[translate]/clean the target file e.g. you cannot open *.doc for SDL Edit if your PC is not installed with MS Word program.

Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is TagEditor 2007 / 8.0 able to process Word files without installed Word?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »