Tag Editor just ate 3 hours of work and my TM was not updated so I can't use "translate till fuzzy."
Thread poster: Deborah Hoffman

Deborah Hoffman  Identity Verified

Local time: 06:39
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 29, 2010

I could just scream.

I recently switched to using Open Office and have been processing files in Tag Editor with a Workbench TM open at the same time. Normally I stop more frequently, close the entries, and save to a .ttx, but this time I did not. Tag Editor just suddenly announced it "must close" and disappeared. When I reopened all my work was gone. Moreover, I discovered that apparently my TM has not been updating as it does under Word, because I can find no trace of my previous work either by "translate to fuzzy" or by using the concordance.

Is there any mysterious file, somewhere, wherein I might find my work?

I truly, truly hate this product.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:39
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TM gets updated with TagEditor Aug 29, 2010

The translation memory is being updated when you work with TagEdiitor exactly in the same way as in Word. As long you are using the command set/close next open/get to get to the next segment or set/close to close a segment. Using just close does not update TM.
In case of a Workbench crash you can usually utilize the whole opened TM without the last very few segments - sometimes even the last one is there, sometimes last 3 are missing or similar.
But a situation that I would lose several hours of work did not happen to me since I started using Trados - there was always something stored somwhere.
So please try to reorganise the TM and check, if it works. If this does not help check the TM you have been using maybe you used a different one. Did you have more than one instance of Workbench open?

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
never happened... Aug 29, 2010

Hello Deborah,

err.. if segments were opened and closed normally during the translation process, translated segments have to be there, saved in your TM. Specifically, if you used the command set/close/open next (or ALT+), segments (translation units) must be available, perhaps not the very last one or fewer segments, but it has never happened to me to lose hours of work, not even when I was Trados beginner ten years or so ago. Sorry, maybe silly question, but are you sure you have re-opened the same TM?

I'd import the file again in TagEditor, save it, close it and use "Translate" from TWB menu (Tools > Translate...) setting a high match value and no TM updating. If the file does not get translated, then you have either used another TM or used the close command (without saving)

Giuliana

Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
very strange Aug 29, 2010

I found that, although translate till fuzzy wouldn't work and the latest segments didn't show in my concordance, I could go through each line manually and replace each old segment with the latest one by using Alt-Shift-Ins.

So you were right - the information was there, somewhere. I'm mystified though by the process.

I wonder if this isn't one of the quirks of working the Open Office instead of Word?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Your segments do contain source text? Aug 29, 2010

Deborah Hoffman wrote:

I found that, although translate till fuzzy wouldn't work and the latest segments didn't show in my concordance, I could go through each line manually and replace each old segment with the latest one by using Alt-Shift-Ins.

So you were right - the information was there, somewhere. I'm mystified though by the process.

I wonder if this isn't one of the quirks of working the Open Office instead of Word?

If yes, than it is not a wonder - Workbench will not replace already filled segments.
Should this be the case, recreate the TTX from the source file and use the Translate function from Tools menu in Workbench. This will save you a lot of time. And do not use "Presegment unknown segments" there, as otherwise your source will again be copied to target for all unknown segments.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 17:39
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Autosave Aug 30, 2010

Not in your case, but I always set autosave option of TagEditor to prevent unintentional closing of TagEditor (Trados 2006, 2007).

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
* Aug 30, 2010

Thanks for the tips all. Previously with Workbench and Word I'd not had a problem after a sudden close with just using "translate till fuzzy" even though there may have been older segments present. But clearly that is not going to be the case from here on forward!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Great! Aug 30, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Not in your case, but I always set autosave option of TagEditor to prevent unintentional closing of TagEditor (Trados 2006, 2007).

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Could you enlighten us all please and tell us, where to activate this option?
For what I know there was never an Autosave option in TagEditor and it is still not present in Studio.
So if you've found out how to activate pleae share, I think even SDL developer will be curious to find out how to activate something they did not program...

Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
* Aug 30, 2010

I did find an Autosave option for OpenOffice; unfortunately the instructions are of no help in figuring out where to activate it from:
http://openofficetechnology.com/node/77

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor just ate 3 hours of work and my TM was not updated so I can't use "translate till fuzzy."

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search