Holger Remke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:36
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 2, 2010

Hi there,

I have MultiTerm 2007 (Build 444) and SDL Trados 2007 Freelance (Build 863) installed on a new Windows 7 (64 bit, Home Premium) computer.
In order to continue the work on a current project on this new computer, I used the command "Load external termbase" and integrated a termbase from my old desktop computer. I experience several problems:
1) Term recognition in Workbench doesn't function (although the configuration is correct)
2) The feature "Add Term" in TagEditor seems to work fine: the popup window appears, I can enter the term and the information in the different fields and add the term via the Add button. But: the information isn't added at all, i.e. a search in the termbase doesn't return any result;
3) When I click on "Add a new entry" in MultiTerm itself, I also can enter the desired information; but when I click on "Save entry" I get the error: "NullPointerException" and the programm crashes.
4) On the other hand it's possible to edit an existing entry and to save the changes.

I wonder if the problems number 1) and 2) have to do with the fact that I used "Load external Termbase" instead of creating a new termbase.
Or can the 64-bit phenomenon be the root of the cause?

Grateful for your hints.

Thank you,
Holger

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Java.lang.NullPointerException Sep 2, 2010

At least for that one please disable the next generation plug-in in your Java settings, as describerd here.

Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately not helpful on 64 bit computer Sep 3, 2010

Hello Jerzy,

many thanks for yor reply!
I tried your suggestion but unfortunately it doesn't help on the 64 bit computer. The reason might be that the Java Environment installed is 32-bit. In the Java settings it says: "Java (32 Bit)". As Java prompted me to restart the browser after having deactivated the next generation plug-in, I wondered if the browser is somehow involved in the problem. So far I used Firefox but I now learned that I have 2 versions of Internet Explorer 8 installed, i.e. IE8 for 32 and for 64 bit; I configured the latter as standard browser now but that didn't solve the issue neither.
I had a look at the Java website and there exists a Java 64 bit version but I'm not sure if I should install this one.
That's tricky.

Best regards,
Holger

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please go to Control Panel / Java Sep 3, 2010

and look at the "Java" tab, there is a button called "View..." (or "Show..." - in German "anzeigen").
Would you please tell me which Java versions are listed there?

As for 32 bit - Java is only 32 bit. You may continue using Firefor, you do not need to switch to Internet Explorer. As you correctly noticed, this does not necesserily have something to do with Trados. Although you in fact have to have IE installed on the computer, but it is not necessary to keep it as standard browser.

Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Java Versions installed Sep 3, 2010

Hello Jerzy,

thank you for your reply. I have the following 2 version installed:

Plattform 1.6 / Produkt 1.6.0_14
Plattform 1.5 / Produkt 1.5.0_10

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
So you seem to have Studio installed Sep 3, 2010

In case you have Multiterm 2007 AND Multiterm 2009 on your computer, the software will not work as you expect it to, unless you activate the proper version of Multiterm prior to using it.
You should have "Side by Side" tools installed on your computer. There you'll find an activation and repai utility for each MT - try to use those.

Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MultiTerm 2009 not installed but Trados Studio 2009 Sep 3, 2010

Hello Jerzy,

I only have Trados Studio 2009 installed but not MultiTerm 2009. So far I still work only with Trados 2007 (Build 863) and MultiTerm 2007. Do you think it will help to uninstall Studio 2009?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No, but installing MT 2009 will help Sep 3, 2010

Studio and MT2007 cannot exist on the same machine, while MT 2007 and 2009 using Side by Side tools can.
So your solution should be installing MT 2009 and using Side by Side tools.

Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does Side by Side Tools really work without problem? Sep 3, 2010

I have Side by Side Tools installed on my old computer and had the impression that it's not very clear if the switching process works properly, because some of the actions the tool executes failed.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I've seen that working properly Sep 3, 2010

However I do not utilize those on my PC.
Nevertheless, for Studio you have to have MT 2009, keeping MT 2007 is not a good solution.
When installing Studio it installs parts of MT2009, what makes MT2007 unusable.
So your solution could also be uninstalling Studio and using "self register (no silent).bat" from MT 2007 installation directory (the name ot the file is not exact, I dunno have it anymore).

Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's good to know! Sep 3, 2010

Thanks for these hints, Jerzy. I will opt for deinstalling Trados 2007 and MT 2007 and only use Studio + MT 2009 on the new computer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 2007: "Load external Termbase"

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search