I'm unable to open an .itd file
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:50
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Sep 4, 2010

Hi friends,

I have Windows XP, MS Office 2003 and Trados 7.0. I have received an .itd file for editing but as and when I double click on it,I get the following message:

"An invalid handle was associated with D:\(Path)\(File Name)"

Could you please inform me what is the problem and how can I open the file?

Regards,

Chopra


 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:20
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you have SDLX installed? Sep 4, 2010

This would be the right softwae for editing itd files.
I am not certain if Trados 7 can do that already, but if - you will need to start TagEditor and open the .itd file from there.
From what I read you have no experience with SDLX, so it would be only honest to inform your customer, that you are not using SDLX directly.


 

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:50
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for replying Sep 4, 2010

Thanks so much for your reply.

Of course, I basically work with Workbench and TagEditor but SDLX is also installed on my computer because this is also a part of Trados. Earlier, I have already edited many .itd files as these are bilingual files in tabulated form with English and Hindi texts available side by side. If I don't have SDLX installed on my system, I could not have opened .itd files earlier. As suggested by you, I tried to open the file through TagEditor but I got the same message.

I know you are a Trados wizard. Could you please guess the possible problem? Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Chopra





Jerzy Czopik wrote:

This would be the right softwae for editing itd files.
I am not certain if Trados 7 can do that already, but if - you will need to start TagEditor and open the .itd file from there.
From what I read you have no experience with SDLX, so it would be only honest to inform your customer, that you are not using SDLX directly.


 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:20
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The itd file may come from a far newer version of SDLX/Trados version than yours Sep 4, 2010

As you state, you have Trados 7. This has been released somewhere back 2005/2006. Since then we have had T2006, T2007 and T2007 Suite. Your itd may simply be from a newer software.
Please ask the customer for the version.


 

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:50
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was actually translated by Trados 7 only Sep 4, 2010

It has been translated by one of my friends who also has Trados 7.0. We bought the software in the same year and I have opened the .itd files sent by him in the past. The translation agency assigns the translation of SDLX to him and asks him to send the files directly to me for proofreading/editing.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

As you state, you have Trados 7. This has been released somewhere back 2005/2006. Since then we have had T2006, T2007 and T2007 Suite. Your itd may simply be from a newer software.
Please ask the customer for the version.


 

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:50
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Sep 4, 2010

Someone suggested me to download the file again. I downloaded the file thrice and it is surprising that the size of the downloaded file was different every time. I realized that the size of the downloaded file on the third occasion was exactly same to the size written on the attachment in the e-mail and I was able to open it.

I am mentioning it here as it may benefit others facing the similar problem in future.

Regards,

Chopra


 

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 21:20
French to German
+ ...
Bad connection Sep 5, 2010

Chopra

I downloaded the file thrice and it is surprising that the size of the downloaded file was different every time.


This is a clear indication that your download did not complete correctly either because of a bad line or because it was aborted before it could complete.

I suggest that such files are made available as ZIP containers and not standalone in their native file extension. First, this will lower the risk that the file gets stopped by a antivirus filter, secondly you will immediately know if the download did not complete correctly because you will get an error when trying to open the ZIP file.

Walter


 

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:50
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the good advice Sep 5, 2010

I thank you for your suggestion.

Chopra



Walter Blaser wrote:

I suggest that such files are made available as ZIP containers and not standalone in their native file extension. First, this will lower the risk that the file gets stopped by a antivirus filter, secondly you will immediately know if the download did not complete correctly because you will get an error when trying to open the ZIP file.

Walter


 

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 03:20
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Also file names Sep 6, 2010

I failed to open a file with Japanese character file name in certain software since my PC is set with English as local language and has also input for Thai and Japanese. The typical software to cause this trouble is zipping tool (and SDLX): it cannot handle JP file name unless it is a JP version. By changing the file name into EN font, I could open the file successfully. This can be a typical error for your *.itd file as well.

Soonthon Lupkitaro


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm unable to open an .itd file

Advanced search







PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search