What should I think of when I upgrade my TM in TW to Studio?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 5, 2010

As I understand it, after upgrading the TM from TW, I will first use it to generate a new TM in Studio and use both these TMs when translating (with the old TM set as read-only which means it will not be updated during translation in Studio). Only the new Studio-TM can be updated during translation.

How do I migrate all the settings for my TU:s in the old TW TM?

SDL Trados Studio 2009 Migration Guide, page 137:

"Segmentation rules can be upgraded along with your translation memories. They are converted to a language resources file which includes segmentation rules, abbreviation lists, ordinal follower lists and variable lists. Segmentation has a significant impact on leverage from legacy resources. If the translation memories you are upgrading are segmented differently, matching against the translation
memory will lead to fuzzy matches or return no matches at all.
When segmentation rules are migrated, tag and filter settings are not taken into account as they are not part of the segmentation rules but are part of the corresponding file format filter. Adjustments to tag and filter settings will need to be done manually."

The problem is that I have not set any segmentation rules in TW, I've let that to default. I am a beginner to using TW so I don't know what segmentation rules would be suitable. The TW TM I will migrate (it's only one) is for IT and technical translations.

The TM from TW I will migrate is still small (533 KB, almost 2000 TU:s). In this case, are the settings for segmentation rules of less importance than would I have had a larger TW TM?

Likewise, I have used default settings in TW for Abbreviations List,
Ordinal Followers List, Variables List.

Direct link Reply with quote

Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:11
Italian to English
I shouldn't worry at all Sep 5, 2010

If you chose the default settings in TW, then the default settings will be the same in Studio.

Bear in mind that these settings would only be important when, say, updating a manual from one version to the next, when it is a great help to have the same settings. Otherwise, if you are generally going to be translating new documents, I would just ignore the issue. Apart from anything else you only have 2000 TUs, so it is probably not really an issue.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:11
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Just one TM Sep 5, 2010

When you have upgraded your TM using the Studio Wizard (continue to use the default settings, as Anthony suggests), then you will only need to open your new SDLTM when you are working in Studio. You won't need (or even be able) to use your legacy TM on your new work in read-only format because all your old TUs will be in your new SDLTM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search