Studio 2009: displaying progress in the files screen
Thread poster: Evangelion

Evangelion  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:15
Polish to English
+ ...
Sep 6, 2010

I am translating a project of approximately 20000 small HTML files. I loaded them all into the source language, translated them - in the editor view all is ok, translation is displayed at 100% in each of the files. But it would help me greatly to manage the project, if I could have an indication of how much of each file is completed in the files screen - what to do? Is it one of the batch tasks?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is a progress bar for each file in Files view Sep 6, 2010

In fact in every single project I do there is such information in file view.

In your case I also would have merged all the files prior to translation. This would save you 20000x open/close operation.

Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does merging allow "un-merging"? Sep 7, 2010

The summary problem was a dumb one - I simply translated all the files but didn't save themicon_frown.gif

Merging would surely be nice, but I need to deliver back a set of 20k translated HTMLs, with exactly the same names etc. If merging would allow me to split the files back later, it would be great. Could you walk me through this, if it's possible?

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Merge files is an option in the Project Creation Wizard Sep 7, 2010

Yes, it does split the files again once you are done with the translation.

In step 4 of the Project Creation Wizard, add the files or entire folder(s) of files that you want to translate in Studio, then select the files to merge and click on "Merge Files". Give the merged file a name. You will then work on one single huge document in Studio and you can see where one file stops and the other ends by looking at the orange coloured tags containing the filename.

When you finalize the project, the files will be split again, retaining their original file name.

This function is very handy, as it also allows you to use search + replace functions and auto-propagate throughout the merged file.

Walter

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Mergin over files AND folder structure is possible Sep 7, 2010

So if you get a folder structure in, you deliver a folder structure.
When creating a project add files from folder instead of single files. Then point to the root folder where your files are. Studio will read this folder and all subfolders.
Now you will see the folder structure in Studio.
When you point there to the root folder and press the symbol for "Show subfolders" (red circle) all files in project will be shown regardless their location. Now you can select them all and use "Merge files" (green ellipse) command.
After the translation is done you use the "Create target translation" batch task. It will recreate the complete folder structure including all file names. And this really works.

Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One last Sep 7, 2010

Thanks for the answers! I've just got one last question - can I do all that once I've already created a project and started working on single files? I have the TM, so it should be no problem to pre-translate files, but anyhow...

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
In that case it would be easier to create a new project Sep 8, 2010

It is possible to add or remove files in an existing project but you cannot merge added files or rearrange existing file structures.
In your case, I suggest that you simply create a new project in which you add and merge the files exactly as you need and then work on this project.

If you make sure that you have updated your main TM (batch task "Update main TM") before you create the new project, the already translated segments will be automatically pretranslated for the new project. Afterwards, you may get rid of the old project.

Walter

Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio progress indicator Sep 8, 2010

Does Studio indicate anywhere, whether it's stuck on "converting to translatable format" or it's just processing? My project is presenty taking the third hour to process, and there's no progress indicator...

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Yes , there is a progress bar Sep 8, 2010

On the last screen of the Project Creation Wizard, you see the various tasks such as "Convert to translatable format", "Copy to target languages" , each on a line and next to each line there is a progress bar in blue. When the task is finished, it changes to the text "Completed".

If you are on this screen and you cannot see any progressing blue bar nor the text "Completed", then the application is probably stuck.

Walter

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Check also the processor power consumption Sep 8, 2010

As long Studio is not at zero, the program did not crash.
And indeed processing so many files can take a bit of time.

Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let's see Sep 8, 2010

I do know the basic functionsicon_wink.gif If there would be a blue bar indicating progress, I'd just wait patiently. The problem is, that at 0-2% CPU usage and a massive memory usage in the task manager, Studio isn't even getting to the progress bar at "convert to...".

I'll just leave it for the night, see what happens...

Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No luck Sep 14, 2010

Well, I've been able to process up to 100-150 files at a time. If I try to load and merge more, the process of "converting to translatable format" takes up to 8h without ANY progress at all...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: displaying progress in the files screen

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search