Translation text with tags
Thread poster: Beatriz Rodeiro

Beatriz Rodeiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 6, 2010

Hello,

I have maybe a very simple question but I find it very confusing. How do you translate text when it's inserted between tags taking into account that the target language has a different word order (i.e. Plate view). I know some internal tags for format can be modified; or you just swap words??icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You apply tags the same way you would apply formatting Sep 6, 2010

If in this sentence a word is italic and another bold, when you translate the sentence you simply apply bold to the first and italic to the second word according to the correct order for your language.

With tags it looks like this:
This word is <b>bold</b> and that <i>italic</i>.
But in my target this word is <i>italic</i> and that one <b>bold</b>.

As you may see, the order of tags has been changed, but what was kept is the structure of tags with an opening <b> and one closing </b> tag. This is the only thing you need to follow. Formatting tags are always pairs.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Specific example Sep 6, 2010

Thanks a lot for your answer, Jerzy, I understand that, but what about tags like < followed by a semi colon + cs +> Does the same rule apply??

Thanks again.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Basicaly yes Sep 6, 2010

Tags in my example are the simpliest possible html tags, but tags may be far more complicated.
Nevertheless you can learn to either understand them or at least live with them.
If you need additional tag information refer to File Format Reference Guide, installed along with your Trados version. You'll find this pdf document in your SDL Trados program group, section Documentation.
If you know the source format, identyfying tags is then not that complicated, because typically you do not need to understand all tags, if you do not change their appearance in the sentence.
When working with a ttx file the file name will usualy tell you the source format - simply observe the file name extension before ttx. In your case I suppose it will be inx - meaning the source has been InDesign.
CS is a "character style" tag. And it works very similar to the example I've given here.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 6, 2010

Hi Jerzy,

I will check the documentation you have mentioned. Thanks for all your help.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:41
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
TTX, SDLXLIFF, ITD files Sep 8, 2010

TTX, SDLXLIFF, ITD files have tag codes that sequence can be relocated as you like. Tags can be seen fully as texts, partially as short message, briefly as icon or as paint color. These SDL Trados tools have specific ways to translate among tags.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 8, 2010

Thanks for your contribution, Soonthon.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation text with tags

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search