Thread poster: Carrie Comer

Carrie Comer  Identity Verified
Guatemala
Local time: 02:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 6, 2010

Hi all,

I am just beginning to use Trados, and have already run into a problem! My client sent me four bilingual word documents (that when I open only appear in the target language), and wants me to use trados to review them. However, Trados won't let me import the documents in that format. Am I missing something here? I am stuck!

I also have access to the original documents.

Any help would be wonderful. I'm working with a tight deadline!

Thanks,
Carrie

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:02
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Open the files in Word Sep 6, 2010

In Word options then (Tools - Options - View) enable the view of ALL non-printable characters.
This will show you the source and target text in a single Word file, separated by so called "segment delimeters", looking like those <0}Source text{0}Target text{0>

When working with such file be sure not to damage any of those symbols. You need to correct just the target side - either with or without track changes mode, depending on what you've agreed with your customer.

[Edited at 2010-09-06 20:38 GMT]

Carrie Comer  Identity Verified
Guatemala
Local time: 02:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not possible to use Trados then? Sep 6, 2010

Thank you, Jerzy, that makes sense, and I am able to review the document. Your answer was very clear.

However, in the instructions sent to me by the client, she specifically requested that I use Trados. It is possible that the instructions she sent were meant more for the translator than for the reviewer.

I just want to confirm that it is not, in fact, possible, since I do have the original source document as well.

This is my first job with this client and I would hate to blow it over a technical misunderstanding!

[Edited at 2010-09-06 20:57 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You do not HAVE to use Trados Sep 6, 2010

nevertheless you can.
What the request then is the following option I think:
Start Workbench.
Opent the delivered Translation Memory or create a new one with corresponding language pair.
Open the file for review in Word.
Press ALT+Home to "open" the first segment. Apply changes to the target text as needed. Go to the next segment by pressing ALT+NUM+ (this means the plus key on numeric keyboard).

Please note, that in this case you will NOT be able to use track changes.

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Clean up Sep 6, 2010

The procedure given by Jerzy is correct, of course, but you can get the same result (i.e. update of the relevant TM) just by editing the file, saving it under another name (so that the edited file remains untouched) and cleaning it up automatically.

Should save you some shortcut acrobatics...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reviewing a bilingual word document in Trados

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search