Connecting Word and Trados in a Parallels environment
Thread poster: Karin Walker (X)

Karin Walker (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:45
German to English
+ ...
Sep 7, 2010

The Trados on Mac conundrum continues. I have been able to install Trados 2007 Freelance on my Parallels Desktop on Mac, thanks to SDL support who reset my activation key (within 30 minutes of me contacting them, no less...) I also installed Word 2003 to go along with it. I have managed to find the trados8 template and add it into Word so the WB taskbar appears, but every time I re-open Word it's gone again. Also, every time I try to open a segment, Word crashes.

I suspect this has something to do with my templates, but I can't find a solution to this anywhere. Can anyone help?

TIA
Karin

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 09:45
English to Portuguese
Not of a big help, but... Sep 8, 2010

Hi Karin

I cannot be of a big help on such specific combo of yours, but I use Trados 2007/Word 2007/Word 2010 and Studio SP2 on VMWare Fusion in my MacBookPro i7, latest OS X, because my Parallels 5 was raising some problems (sometimes Trados crashed for no apparent reason)...

Anyway, I would clean it all and restart fresh: such kind of errors normally happen due to installation problems. I would uninstall all things Office 2003 and Trados 2007 (return the license, just in case...). Then I would reinstall Office 2003, AND get all updates in Windows Update (not just the mandatory, but all of them). Then I would install Trados 2007. Trados should be able to put the .dot in its proper place, but if it does not, copy the file like you did.

If the crashes continue, I would get a VMWare trial to see things get straightened. Happened to me...

BTW, I never create a Windows environment directly under the virtualization software: if it crashes, so does your work. I recommend that you create a BootCamp partition, install Windows there, install everything Office and Trados. Check them, try for a while... THEN I would delete the present virtual disk and direct Parallels or VMWare Fusion to create a new virtual disk using the BootCamp partition: it comes with everything and, if the Snow Leopard starts to growl, just reboot in Windows and there you go...icon_smile.gif

Cheers

Edric

[Edited at 2010-09-08 21:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Connecting Word and Trados in a Parallels environment

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search