https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/179722-a_segment_treated_as_fuzzy_because_of_capitalization.html

A segment treated as Fuzzy because of capitalization
Thread poster: Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:41
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 8, 2010

Hi all,

I know this may sound rather simple to many, but your help is much appreciated. I am working on a large ttx file that contains many 100% matches. The only problem is Trados does not treat them as 100% matches and opens them as Fuzzies merely, because they are different from the ones stored in the TM in terms of capitalization only. This is totally irrelevant in Arabic since Arabic has no upper case. Any advice on how to set Trados to ignore capitalization differences? TIA... See more
Hi all,

I know this may sound rather simple to many, but your help is much appreciated. I am working on a large ttx file that contains many 100% matches. The only problem is Trados does not treat them as 100% matches and opens them as Fuzzies merely, because they are different from the ones stored in the TM in terms of capitalization only. This is totally irrelevant in Arabic since Arabic has no upper case. Any advice on how to set Trados to ignore capitalization differences? TIA

Best,
Noha
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:41
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Formatting penalties Sep 8, 2010

Try to look at Workbench > Translation Memory Options > Penalties. Put the penalties for formatting to zero.
Regards
Heinrich

Noha Kamal, PhD.
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Penalties for formatting is 0% already Sep 8, 2010

Hi henrich,

Well, that was my first hunch too. But when I checked, penalties for formatting was set at 0% from the start! So, no, I suppose it has to be something else.

Best,
Noha

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Impossible... workaround... Sep 8, 2010

Noha Kamal wrote:

I know this may sound rather simple to many, but your help is much appreciated. I am working on a large ttx file that contains many 100% matches. The only problem is Trados does not treat them as 100% matches and opens them as Fuzzies merely, because they are different from the ones stored in the TM in terms of capitalization only. This is totally irrelevant in Arabic since Arabic has no upper case. Any advice on how to set Trados to ignore capitalization differences?

You can't.
The capitalization penalty is hardcoded in the algorithm.

You can tweak Trados i.e. export the TM, make a copy (or more copies, if necessary), apply upper/lower case in the TM copies, then import all the copies in a new TM.

Cheers
GG

Noha Kamal, PhD.
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Makes sense Sep 8, 2010

What you are saying makes perfect sense, since I searched Trados upside down before posting the question when I started to doubt my own self Thanks a bunch, GG. At least, I will stop searching now

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A segment treated as Fuzzy because of capitalization

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »