Thread poster: Toulousaine
Toulousaine  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:07
French to English
+ ...
Sep 8, 2010

Hello,

I have just acquired Trados and I need help!!

I created a Translation Memory and added it as I opened my document.

I started my translation and pressed Ctrl Enter to save it in my TM but then nothing happened although there were similar sentences further in the document. I thought it should have automatically inserted the similar parts of the sentence in other segments...? Isn't that so? And when I click on the TM, it says "no translation units".

Could you please clarify how TM work and what should be selected when you add it maybe?

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Only 100% matches will be autopropagated Sep 8, 2010

If you attached an empty TM, Studio will only autopropagate 100% matches throughout the rest of the document, but not "similar sentences ".

As to what concerns the current segment, Studio will present suggestions from the TM if they are above the match rate you defined (by default it is 70%).

Walter

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TM setup must allow updating of the TM Sep 8, 2010

If you look at your project settings, the TM listed there must have all options activated - like here:

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Auto Suggest dictionary Sep 8, 2010

Many thanks for your replies.

Concerning the matches, does this mean that in order to get suggestions from Studio for short expressions, not whole sentences, only the Auto Suggest dictionary can help? But is it possible to create your own Auto Suggest dictionary?

Thank you...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
AutoSuggest can be created out of translation memory bigger than 25,000 segments Sep 8, 2010

If you have such, just use Tools - Create AS dictionary from Studio.
If not, try to download at least the European Union TMs here: http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html and use those to create AS dictionaries.

Back to your question: you can have Translation memory, Termbase and AutoSuggest in Studio. TM will deliver fuzzy matches for sentences, Termbase in Multiterm delivers vocabulary inserted there (depends on you - can be single words, can be phrases) and AS will deliver automatically extracted words and phrases.

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 9, 2010

Thank you! It's much clearer now!

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Align and Creating termbase not available? Sep 19, 2010

Hello,

I took the training "Getting started for translators" and the trainer told us about how to create a TM from an existing translated material using "Align" and about how to create a termbase.

But when I click on "Align", it says that I need SDL 2007 to be installed. Does it mean that the only way to do it is to use translations that you had made in SDL 2007?

Also, when I click on "gestion terminologique", it says that I need "SDL Termbase". It means that it is not included in Trados Studio and that you have to buy it also??

I am a little bit puzzled: it seems that the only thing I can do for now is to create a TM and fill it as I translate, which means that it is going to take quite a while before Trados is useful to me!

Could you please clarify this for me?

Many thanks.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
WInAlign is still version 2007 Sep 19, 2010

When you click align, the program wants to start WinAlign, a part of Trados 2007.
You need WinAlign to align monolingual documents in source and target language.
To import content from previous translations you can either update the Trados 2009 TM with bilingual ttx files or upgrade Trados 2007 translation memories. However, installing Trados 2007 on your computer is a must.

As for the termbase - this is quite obvious, that you need to create a termbase before you can use it. For this purpose MultiTerm is needed. It is part of SDL Trados 2009 Studio, so you do not need to buy anything.

It seems to me that you would seriously need some training in CAT technology in general and in Studio in particular. You can either contact me directly for some individual training, obtain a training space here on ProZ or on www.sdl.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Memory in Trados Freelance 2009

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search