Segment source status in Studio 2009
Thread poster: iamsara
iamsara
iamsara
Local time: 12:12
English to Spanish
Sep 8, 2010

Hi, do you know if it is possible not to show that the source of a segment is the translation memory (i. e. just show the "translated" pencil icon, and not the 100%)?

Thanks in advance

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
This is the match rate, an important information! Sep 8, 2010

I am not sure I understand what you want.

The pencil icon has nothing to do with the TM, it simply shows that a target exists, regardless of whether it came from the TM or has been typed.

The number shows the match rate of the content suggested by the TM. This is an important information, why would you want to get rid of this? It only shows in the Editor while you are translating.

Walter

iamsara
iamsara
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Source information is relevant Sep 8, 2010

Hi Walter, thanks for your reply. The thing is this file is to be proofreaded. Studio crashed during translation and I lost part of the translated file, but since it was saved in the TM, I want to apply it again to the document.

However, the proofreader needs to know these segments were not in the TM provided by the client (thats automatically what he will think after seeing the 100% match rate next to the pencil), but where instead translated by me.

When you translat
... See more
Hi Walter, thanks for your reply. The thing is this file is to be proofreaded. Studio crashed during translation and I lost part of the translated file, but since it was saved in the TM, I want to apply it again to the document.

However, the proofreader needs to know these segments were not in the TM provided by the client (thats automatically what he will think after seeing the 100% match rate next to the pencil), but where instead translated by me.

When you translate a segment that is not in the TM, you only get the pencil icon, not the match rate information, and that´s what Iñm looking for.
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Display unconfirmed segments Sep 8, 2010

If you just want to see draft segments in the Editor window, go to the display filter toolbar and select "unconfirmed segments" in the dropdown menu.

Maybe this is what you mean?

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
The match rate is not necessarily an important information... Sep 8, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

The number shows the match rate of the content suggested by the TM. This is an important information, why would you want to get rid of this? It only shows in the Editor while you are translating.

Recently, I was involved in a quite big ES-PL localization project.
A lot of the 100% matches were a crap, the previous version was really poor.
Normally, when you see a 100% match, you assume inconsciously it makes sense.
Even if you apply a huge penalty, it's still a crap and even a 70% match makes no sense at all.
In this case, I would gladly reset the match level or mark the segment as pending (like in DVX), whatever but 100%.

If you don't want to see the match level, you can tweak Studio and reset the match value using a decent text editor.
Open the SDLXLIFF file, search for the string percent="100" and replace 100 by some crazy value, kinda 30 or simply delete the string above.

Cheers
GG

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Two-step process Sep 8, 2010

Dubloc wrote:

When you translate a segment that is not in the TM, you only get the pencil icon, not the match rate information, and that´s what Iñm looking for.

Take a fresh copy of the file.
Take the TM provided by the customer. Use the pretranslate function.
Open the file in Studio, using View filter show only 100% pretranslated segments. Select them all and press CTRL+L. This will lock those segments and show the proofreader, that those came from customers TM. Now take your TM into the project, remove the customers one and pretranslate again. The document will now contain 100% locked segments from the customer and 100% nit locked segments, which were translated by you. Now you just need to tell the proofreader, that he does not need to check the locked segments, but needs to check all other segments.

iamsara
iamsara
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 8, 2010

Thanks Grzegorz!

that´s exactly what I needed, althoug if I do what you say, a percentage still appears. In order to show what I want I think you have to use origin="interactive".

Jerzy , that´s another solution, but I rather not bother the proofreader in this case.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segment source status in Studio 2009

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »