Thread poster: Evangelion (X)
Evangelion (X)
Evangelion (X)
Mozambique
Local time: 10:15
Polish to English
+ ...
Sep 8, 2010

After restarting my computer, I can't access the project I've been working on.
I get a message that the project could not be loaded as the XML file contains errors, it is too short.
And all I can do is save the error details into a file...

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:15
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please remove the Projects.XML file Sep 8, 2010

In my Windows Vista computer it is located here: C:\Users\user_name\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Projects\projects.xml
Obviously make a backup copy of the file first!
Now double click the project file on your HDD - Studio will open the project and everything should be fine.

There is also a less success promising method, but letting you keep your projects history in Studio.
Remove the projects from the list. Go to the above specified folder, open the Projects.xml fil
... See more
In my Windows Vista computer it is located here: C:\Users\user_name\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Projects\projects.xml
Obviously make a backup copy of the file first!
Now double click the project file on your HDD - Studio will open the project and everything should be fine.

There is also a less success promising method, but letting you keep your projects history in Studio.
Remove the projects from the list. Go to the above specified folder, open the Projects.xml file in a text editor, like Notepad. Check, if there is NO trace of that project. Remove any traces of that project. Save the file. Double click the project file on your HDD - Studio should load it and make accessible.
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:15
English to Dutch
+ ...
Projects.XML corrupted in SDL Studio Sep 8, 2010

Evangelion wrote:
I get a message that the project could not be loaded as the XML file contains errors, it is too short.

I had a similar situation and I was greatly helped by the tips from Grzegorz.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/177283-here_we_go_again:_sdl_trados_studio_project_failed_to_load.html

In short and if you are daring enough - see Jerzy's post - find the project file, open it with a small program that is freely available on the Internet (Notepad ++) and compare a copy of the relevant project.xml file with a copy of another, intact project file from another project. If you know a little about HTML, you'll know that every "open"-tag needs a "close"-tag (don't know if that's the right term, I mean the type tags). So if in the beginning of the file there are tags that 'open' a line, there should be a closing tag with a "/". If you don't know what I mean, you might have to set up your project from scratch, but it's worth a try.

I'm still hoping that SDL will sometime implement a backup function for this annoyingly fragile project.xml concept.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:15
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
A backup of Projects.xml file is already created automaticaly Sep 8, 2010

and left in the above mentioned folder. The name is projects.xml0.bak
Maybe this is new to my recent beta - you must know I (among many others) am still testing beta software for SDL. The version is to be released soon.
However, in this case I think just removing the project from the list, checking if it is not present anymore in projects.xml and reopening the project with double click on it should work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio error: failed to load project

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »