Thread poster: Kjersti Farrier

Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:10
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Sep 9, 2010

Hi,
does anybody know if there is a solution to the following issue?
I have been searching through the forum, but to no avail.

I have built up my own Termbase and am adding new entries to it regularly, everything works really well apart from ONE thing. The Term recognition window brings up all entries for words it sees in the source text. I can then start typing any of these words and it provides me the suggestion(s) which I can use by just pressing TAB. However, this does not work if say the entry in the termbase is ENG: guitar string and NOR: gitarstreng, and I want to write it at the start of the sentence as "Gitarstreng". The same goes for if the entry is in uppercase in the termbase, but I want to write it in lowercase.
Obviously there is a workaround by just starting with the uppercase or lowercase which is in the termbase and then change the case once the word/phrase is written, but this can get a bit tedious..

Many thanks for looking! Hopefully somebody can help too
Kjersti

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:10
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
AutoSuggest is case sensitive Sep 9, 2010

Neither a solution nor a workaround for this.
It works simply like this.
A more detailed description on reasons and pros&cons of such solution is to be found here

PCovs
Denmark
Local time: 18:10
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
I brought this up some time ago Sep 10, 2010

but no solutions suggested, alas.

It is extremely annoying, agreed, and we can only hope that this will be dealt with in a later SP from SDL.

Akke Wagenaar  Identity Verified
Senegal
Local time: 16:10
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Old discussion which I would like to reopen Feb 3, 2014

Since this issue has never been solved, I would like to reopen this topic.

The problem of not being able to choose how uppercase/lowercase are treated is not just light or irrelevant.

I own one termbase that I created one day for a small project and it behaves as I like it to behave:
-whether I start typing upper or lower case, it gives me the term, no matter whether it is in the termbase as upper or lower or both
-it also will suggest me the term while typing if the term is encountered for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th time within the same segment

Both behaviours are major time savers. Major.
I created this termbase while unchecking or checking certain options, at least this is what I believe.
However, this morning I tried to create such a termbase again and I cannot reproduce it.

I don't really know if the option is in Options in Trados Studio or in Multiterm during creation.
I don't remember it.

But for those who are interested in seeing this termbase, I will send it to you upon request

Then you can see with your own eyes that it does exist.

Akke Wagenaar

CJIoHuKu
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:10
English to Russian
+ ...
Case sensitivity Aug 9, 2014

Hi guys. I have found how to cancel case sensititivy: Options --> Autosuggest--> Third check box - Case sensitivity. Voila!

And JUST REALISED!!!! that in the same place there is ANOTHER ONE CHECKBOX!!! The previous checkobx is HIDE SUGGESTIONS WHICH HAVE ALREADY BEEN USED!!! Voila!

Uncheck both of them and PRESTO! You have case insensitive and term multiuse Termbase!

You're welcome!

[Edited at 2014-08-09 07:50 GMT]

Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 00:10
English to German
+ ...
Many thanks.... Aug 11, 2014

That was very useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term recognition auto-suggest - case-sensitive

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search