https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/180049-can_i_merge_tms_and_autosuggests_with_different_language_dialects.html

Can I merge TMs and AutoSuggests with different language dialects?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 04:27
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 11, 2010

Can I merge TMs where some TMs have British English language settings and others have American English language settings?

Likewise, can I merge AutoSuggest dictionaries at all? And if I can merge AutoSuggest dictionaries, can I merge those that have British English language settings with other AutoSuggest dictionaries which have American English language settings?

In the above cases, the source language is British or American English, and target language is Swedish.
... See more
Can I merge TMs where some TMs have British English language settings and others have American English language settings?

Likewise, can I merge AutoSuggest dictionaries at all? And if I can merge AutoSuggest dictionaries, can I merge those that have British English language settings with other AutoSuggest dictionaries which have American English language settings?

In the above cases, the source language is British or American English, and target language is Swedish.

What relevance does it have whether I use American or British English settings for TMs and AutoSuggest dictionaries?

Now, I have a customer in China that I have created a TM for in SDL Trados Studio 2009, English (US) - Swedish.
This TM is for IT and technology texts.

When I want to merge this TM into a big TM, and some of the other TMs have English (British) settings, is it still possible to merge these TMs even though some contain British English, some contain American English?

Likewise, when I translate a document and have several TMs open, can these opened TMs have both American English and British English settings?

Finally, can I change the local language setting for a TM and an AutoSuggest dictionary later, from American English to British English?
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sure Sep 12, 2010

I don't know about autosuggest dictionaries, but TMs should be easy.
If Trados complains about it when you try to merge them as is, just export them to TMX and unify the TMX files. Open them in a text editor and replace, say, <tuv xml:lang="EN-US"> with <tuv xml:lang="EN-GB"> in the American TMs. Voila, now all your TMs are British English.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Simply generate a new AutoSuggest dictionary Sep 12, 2010

Finally, can I change the local language setting for a TM and an AutoSuggest dictionary later, from American English to British English?

Once you have merged the various TMs into one big TM (as suggested in the previous post), simply regenerate a new ASD from this merged TM.

Creating an ASD is a straight-forward process with no selectable parameters at all. It simply extracts content from the input TM (there can be only one at the present time) and creates a bilingual dictionary from it (using the languages selected in the input TM).

Walter

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
ASD dictionnaries backdoor Sep 12, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

Once you have merged the various TMs into one big TM (as suggested in the previous post), simply regenerate a new ASD from this merged TM.

Creating an ASD is a straight-forward process with no selectable parameters at all. It simply extracts content from the input TM (there can be only one at the present time) and creates a bilingual dictionary from it (using the languages selected in the input TM).

As ASD creator crashes for huge TMs, sometimes it may be better to hack the file.
See SQLite Browser http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser
It works (tested).

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I merge TMs and AutoSuggests with different language dialects?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »