Unable to open document in Editor
Thread poster: lils
lils
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:27
Russian to English
Sep 11, 2010

Whenever I try and open a document in editor view I get an error message come up saying
"Excemel exception parsing XML document from file..."

Any idea waht this means and what I should do? I have uninstalled trados twice and installed it again and the same happens everytime.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
More detail Sep 11, 2010

Please provide more info - what sort of document, what "editor" (TagEditor?) what versions etc

Ayob Salleh  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:27
English to Malay
ini file Sep 11, 2010

Please try to open the ini file

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:27
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
ini files are not to be opened in TagEditor Sep 11, 2010

You do not specify what Editor do you mean.
If TageEditor, open the ini file via Tools - TagSettings, in Studio create a new sdlfiletype with the ini.
The file you are trying to open is a xml settings file, there is no translatable text there.

lils
United Kingdom
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Unable to open document in Editor Sep 13, 2010

Sorry I realise I didn't provide any details...

In Trados 2009, as soon as I click on "open document" in the tool bar in Editor View, I get an error message. I don't even get as far as selecting a document/file. So it has nothing to do with file format, Ive been told this may be a set up issue but it has been working fine for a week before that.

Another problem I have encountered is if I try to create a term base and save it, it gets saved in 4 copies which I am sure is not right. The same happens when I align files through Win align, I import the files into translation memory with no porblem, and when I go to save the doc in My documents I end up with 4 copies in the same format.

Apologies if I am not being very clear, I am new to Trados and have only had it for a week!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Could you please start to be precise? Sep 13, 2010

lils wrote:

Sorry I realise I didn't provide any details...

In Trados 2009, as soon as I click on "open document" in the tool bar in Editor View, I get an error message. I don't even get as far as selecting a document/file. So it has nothing to do with file format, Ive been told this may be a set up issue but it has been working fine for a week before that.

What error message? Expecting us to help is ok, but I fail to understand why do you expect at least me to have a crystal ball here to be able to see what's on your computer screen?
Please don't take this personal, but maybe you can explain me why so many people who expect help do not even provide a slightest detail of their problem? When you post to this forum there is a text saying:
When posting about a CAT tool or other software program, include the product name, version, your operating system, and any other relevant details will avoid confusion and allow you to get or give better assistance.
This forum is dedicated to providing and receiving support on software. If you are seeking information on training relating to software, please submit a support request »

Is this really so much to get those details posted?

Another problem I have encountered is if I try to create a term base and save it, it gets saved in 4 copies which I am sure is not right. The same happens when I align files through Win align, I import the files into translation memory with no porblem, and when I go to save the doc in My documents I end up with 4 copies in the same format.

Apologies if I am not being very clear, I am new to Trados and have only had it for a week!

This is yet another habit I do not understand - you start a topic about one problem and even before that one is sorted out you post another problem in the same thread.
It would be much more productive to open a new dedicated thread for the new problem.
As for the quadruplicated files - this is something with your OS, as it applies to termbases and WinAlign. No solution fo that from me, I'm afraid - I do not know what is happening there.

lils
United Kingdom
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Unable to open document in Editor Sep 13, 2010

Jerzy

there is no need to be so rude. If you are unable to help or you don't like the way I pose my question then don't reply at all, nobody is forcing you.

I never implied you had a crystal ball, and I don't appreciate your sarcasm. I already explained that I am new to this and apologised if I failed to provide enough informaiton, so I don't see why you have to get so agitated.

Have a nice day.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I am not rude - but just demanding and expecting preicse information Sep 13, 2010

But instead of discussing this simply post what you are expected to post.
The fact that you are new to something does not mean you are not able to describe what you do and what you see on the screen - please post the error message you get.
You are on ProZ since 2007 so I think you should know how it works.
You are expecting help. I try to help - but please understand that I am not sitting here and waiting just for the next question to appear and guess what the heck could be the reason that someone cannot open his home door, but have a job to do. What I do here is an extra to my work. So if I don't get precise information I can't help. Neither can anyone else. If you go to the doctor and say, that you feel bad and have pain he will also ask for what kind of pain and where. So be so kind and provide the requested information.

You wrote
I get an error message.

Now I also gave you an error message, that's all. In my case this was buffer overrun.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to open document in Editor

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search